Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott to the ABC: "Whose side are you on?"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ Your newsfeed is much more entertaining than mine. Laughing

I know, yours reads like a Nicks political thread! Razz

Needs more baby pics! Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:17 pm

watt price tully wrote:

I work as does my wife with people who are the direct victims of his brutal cuts (that is barely reported on & never by News Limited). Housing cuts, NGO services to the disabled & psychiatric ill cut, cuts to women of domestic violence, defunding of environment support groups who provide a balance to well funded industry groups, hospitals cuts. This was all from the last budget where the current budget is currently predicated.

This is a nasty government & the list I've put down is just the tip of the iceberg - if you read the Murdoch press you would be utterly unaware of how rotten things are in Denmark.

Thanks WPT. I understand your point about cuts, but that's what politics is about. There will always be more good causes than there are taxpayers willing to stump up, and Australia has seen its national income savaged by the commodity downturn. Perhaps the issues you deal with (and credit to you for that) should not be cut vs other priorities, but elected governments have a right, within a broad mandate, to make these kinds of decisions. They will often be unpalatable, but choosing not to fund (or to cut) a good cause is not automatically "nasty", I think ?

The Abbott govt may be nasty in the way it goes about it (being of a certain age, I could not help thinking of Gestapo Major Hochstetter from Hogan's Heroes shouting "heads will roll!" this week), but i always struggle to make that case from the fact that spending is being cut in place X or Y. Still, as I said, I'm a long way away. I just watch the decline of cross-party respect with dismay, and I think it predates Abbott to some extent.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:48 pm

watt price tully wrote:

I work as does my wife with people who are the direct victims of his brutal cuts (that is barely reported on & never by News Limited). Housing cuts, NGO services to the disabled & psychiatric ill cut, cuts to women of domestic violence, defunding of environment support groups who provide a balance to well funded industry groups, hospitals cuts. This was all from the last budget where the current budget is currently predicated.

Are these areas that have had funding cut directly funded by the federal government who has targeted these areas or are they funded by the State with funding provided by the feds.

There's a key difference in who decides what. Hospitals for example are funded by the state with money provided by the feds. There's been no reduction in funding to Hospitals in Victoria recently, nor for Mental Health that i'm aware of.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Are these areas that have had funding cut directly funded by the federal government who has targeted these areas or are they funded by the State with funding provided by the feds.

There's a key difference in who decides what. Hospitals for example are funded by the state with money provided by the feds. There's been no reduction in funding to Hospitals in Victoria recently, nor for Mental Health that i'm aware of.

Both Stui. The NGO cuts are federal & there are a lot of them & they back up to crisis services (wait till the cuts happen to the DSP). There were significant State Liberal cuts to mental health services by the previous ousted liberals - almost by stealth. No mention of this in the news though.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:47 pm

I see Twithead and Moderate Malcolm attacking the ABC again. It's actually becoming a major distraction.

You've got an economy with massive, actual issues to deal with, in a region with massive challenges, you irresponsible f%$#%kfaces.

Controlling public content is NOT one of your concerns; now piss off back to your desks and do some real work for the country, like diversifying revenue streams in the face of things like this, you useless turds:

The SMH wrote:
China's stocks capped their steepest two-week plunge since December 1996 as investors who use borrowed money to buy equities cut holdings and concern grew that valuations were excessive.

The Shanghai Composite Index sank 7.4 per cent on Friday, taking its decline from its June 12 high to 19 percent, on the cusp of a bear market.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/china-stocks-plunge-most-since-1996-as-bubble-warnings-increase-20150627-ghz67z.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:00 pm

I think any trace of affection I had for Turnbull is pretty much gone now.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jun/28/malcolm-turnbull-flags-formal-proposals-for-abc-changes-during-fiery-interview

Good on him for standing up to Abbott, Dutton and the feral backbenchers on the citizenship issue, though.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:33 pm

Now, the Ministry for Truth is gagging its front bench.

Don't worry, Fruitbat, the rest of us have been gagging at the sight of you for decades now.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Abbott is a twat, but I'd still like to go out for few drinks with the bloke. Would be an awesome night out, and you know he'd back you up in a blue (Shorten would sneak away and claim he didn't see the two bikers beating the shit out of you).

Probably shouldn't be running the country though Laughing
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:56 am

the ABC has journalists. Murdoch and the right has cheerleaders.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:20 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jul/06/qa-barnaby-joyce-ban-flick-the-switch-back-to-2010-and-outrage-seems-familiar

Quote:
A prime minister intervenes at the last minute to stop a minister from a scheduled appearance on the ABCs Q&A program. Unprecedented?

Actually, its happened before.

It was 23 August 2010 and the so-called Labor faceless man Mark Arbib was due to attend the first program after the election that resulted in a hung parliament. The prime minister, Julia Gillard, had entered protracted negotiations with crossbenchers to form a minority government.

But Arbib did not turn up. Q&A producers left an empty chair to signify the no-show. It was, Gillard argued, not the time to fuel campaign analysis. The host, Tony Jones, gravely informed viewers that the prime minister had provided the show with a statement late this afternoon that said: The focus of Labors ministerial team must be on providing stable and effective government and discussing Labors positive plan for the nations future.

In the statement, Gillard said she had requested and Senator Arbib has agreed to not appear on Q&A tonight which is focused solely on campaign analysis but she suggested a Labor backbencher, David Bradbury, as a replacement representative on the panel.

Q&As executive producer, Peter McEvoy, was unimpressed. He rejected the prime ministers substitute offer, saying this would be a clear breach of the ABCs editorial independence and an empty chair would have to do.

Malcolm Turnbull who is one of the actors in the 2015 drama known on Twitter as #qandagate, and faces questions about whether to press ahead with an appearance next week was the Liberal partys representative on the 23 August 2010 show. He took the first question about Arbibs absence.

Being one of the faceless men, a viewer asked, doesnt this obvious snub to public accountability speak volumes?

Turnbull replied: Well, it does ...

A fellow panellist the News Corp columnist Janet Albrechtsen was scathing. Well, I think it, you know, proves that Mark Arbib is not only faceless but gutless not to turn up, she said.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:27 pm

By the way, there's a suggestion that Abbott's response to this has actually hurt the government's standing in the polls. Hallelujah! Tone-deaf Abbott has returned. Mr. Green
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:37 pm

David wrote:
By the way, there's a suggestion that Abbott's response to this has actually hurt the government's standing in the polls. Hallelujah! Tone-deaf Abbott has returned. Mr. Green

May they continue. As Greg Sheridan said last night (a friend of the Government & a peer of the catholic liberal conservative right) this is another example of overreach by the Mad Mendacious Misogynist Monk.

May he continue with his captains call & boycott Q & A. More & more it shows him to be stupid & operates against him.

Even the independent person to investigate Q & A Ray Martin thinks Abbott's actions are stupid: (who am I to disagree?)

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/qa-auditor-ray-martin-derides-tony-abbotts-silly-frontbench-boycott-20150707-gi6lal

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:49 pm

^ WPT, I think it was the ABC who appointed Ray Martin and the SBS guy it's an internal audit.

Nonetheless, when the Ray Martins of the world are saying Abbott has gone too far, we're definitely heading back into Prince Charles territory. Bring it on!

Last edited by David on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Is that a command?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:54 pm

David wrote:
^ WPT, I think it was the ABC who appointed Ray Martin and the SBS guy it's an internal audit.

Nonetheless, when the Ray Martins of the world are saying Abbott has gone too far, we're definitely heading back into Prince Charles territory. Bring it on!

Cheers. Amendment to be made.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: