Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Modes of discussion in the VPT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

<split from same-sex parenting thread>

pietillidie wrote:
^But in the context of this thread, statements like "the evidence I've seen", intentionally or not, amount to weasel words, unless you're referring to some reputable body of evidence.

We have no idea whether "the evidence you've seen" has any meaning whatsoever. Please locate this reputable body of evidence for us, or at least qualify the insufficiency of "the evidence you've seen".

By evidence I mean evidence, not anecdote. I've discussed with you before about my preference for brevity in this format. You'll never get an academically sound essay from me on here, but I'm happy to provide talking points and enough clues to hunt things down if people are genuinely interested. I don't take well to lecturing so prefer to avoid it.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:07 am

Wokko wrote:
By evidence I mean evidence, not anecdote. I've discussed with you before about my preference for brevity in this format. You'll never get an academically sound essay from me on here, but I'm happy to provide talking points and enough clues to hunt things down if people are genuinely interested. I don't take well to lecturing so prefer to avoid it.

Yeah, nah. When you're dealing with other people's well-being, there are no character limits, but there are ethical limits (that other type of character limit).

This is a very basic due diligence with a topic like this:

pietillidie wrote:
We have no idea whether "the evidence you've seen" has any meaning whatsoever. Please locate this reputable body of evidence for us, or at least qualify the insufficiency of "the evidence you've seen".

Are you saying you believe it is fine to make statements about matters this serious, which impinge on the lives of all parties concerned, but you can't provide us access to "the evidence you've seen"?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:51 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Yeah because being gay really is just another social problem that needs to pay its way Rolling Eyes

Sorry didnt realize you don't get sarcasm

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:00 am

Fnuck me, I get pissed off with the way a certain in-group of Nick's posters constantly snipe, sneer and outright abuse PTID. WTF is it with you people? F*ucking grow up and act like decent people you spiteful, childish tools. OK, I don't expect a lot of wisdom or maturity from SM and KM and one or two others, but TP, you are better than that. Just make a decision: you aren't going to get sucked into that shit anymore.

Disclaimer: I seldom post on this topic 'coz PTID is a big boy who doesn't need and probably doesn't want my help (if help it be). I'm just so bloody sick of reading post after bloody post of nyah-nyah don't-like-you hate-mail from Nicksters who should know better.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:06 am

Tannin wrote:
Fnuck me, I get pissed off with the way a certain in-group of Nick's posters constantly snipe, sneer and outright abuse PTID. WTF is it with you people? F*ucking grow up and act like decent people you spiteful, childish tools. OK, I don't expect a lot of wisdom or maturity from SM and KM and one or two others, but TP, you are better than that. Just make a decision: you aren't going to get sucked into that shit anymore.

Disclaimer: I seldom post on this topic 'coz PTID is a big boy who doesn't need and probably doesn't want my help (if help it be). I'm just so bloody sick of reading post after bloody post of nyah-nyah don't-like-you hate-mail from Nicksters who should know better.

Ok, it's official. I've stumbled through a portal into Bizarro world.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:02 pm

Tannin wrote:

using big words, or putting a smiley after it, does not make abuse acceptable, it shouldn't be any more ok to be snide if your sneaky, than if you are brutally or crassly honest.

(Reading back exactly what was wrong or nasty about my reply to his reply to my reply to king monkeys obviously meant in fun post?)

From now on all you will get from me is

IS THAT NECESSARY?

Last edited by think positive on Sat May 30, 2015 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:29 pm

think positive wrote:
Tannin wrote:

I'm bloody sick of him getting away with his little cheap shots, just because he uses big words, or puts a smiley after it, does not make it any better. But apparently it's ok to be snide if your sneaky, but don't come out and be honest.

(Reading back exactly what was wrong or nasty about my reply to his reply to my reply about king monkeys obviously meant in fun post?)

From now on all you will get from me is

IS THAT NECESSARY?

Considering I have Ptid on ignore and rarely respond to any of his rubbish, I like the inference that I'm a childish spiteful tool because I occasionally point out what a condescending supercilious muppet fornicator I think he is.

Good to know what the ground rules are.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Tannin wrote:

The way I see it in simple terms -
There have been attempts to have some conversions about certain topics rather than having everything turned into academic debates/being lectured at, to which the response has been a resounding bad luck get f***ed!
That's probably going to cause a bit of friction isn't it??

Moving on.......

King Monkey wrote:
Instead of IVF, why can't there be some sort of program where the next homosexual couple in the queue can get a baby from a mother addicted to heroin or something such as????

Would kill 2 birds with one stone.

pietillidie wrote:
^Yeah because being gay really is just another social problem that needs to pay its way Rolling Eyes

Why are you so dismissive??
Have more of an open mind.
Don't pre-judge others' mindsets.

Admittedly, my wording was a bit crass, but think of the win-win-win that could come of something like that if thought out and implemented properly.

A loving couple wants to become a family but can't conceive for obvious reasons, gets a baby.
A baby born into a family that's unfit to care for it, gets a loving and nurturing family to grow up with.
The cost, uncertainty, and at times anguish of going through IVF or surrogacy or something as such, can be bypassed.

Where are the negatives of encouraging options along these lines??

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:03 pm

The difference between a BBS like this one and a face-to-face conversation, KM, is that you don't have to either listen quietly when someone else has something to say or else shout them down if you want to talk. You are free to say as much or as little as you like. So is every other member. If you don't enjoy reading Fred Smith's posts, that's fine. Don't read them. Your choice. Or, if you really don't like Fred Smith's posts, you can put him on ignore. Again, it's your choice.

One thing you shouldn't do - and you don't, so good on you for that - is loudly pretend to put someone on ignore and then respond angrily to all his posts anyway. That's seriously sucky.

Just remember: you are 100% free to post as you see fit and have whatever conversations you wish with other members. There is no need to or value in whinging about "not being allowed" to have a conversation: you are perfectly free to have whatever conversation you wish.

(Others may or may not read it, may or may not join it, and you may or not bother reading anything they add to it. That's fine too. All entirely up to you.)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Tannin wrote:
The difference between a BBS like this one and a face-to-face conversation, KM, is that you don't have to either listen quietly when someone else has something to say or else shout them down if you want to talk. You are free to say as much or as little as you like. So is every other member. If you don't enjoy reading Fred Smith's posts, that's fine. Don't read them. Your choice. Or, if you really don't like Fred Smith's posts, you can put him on ignore. Again, it's your choice.

One thing you shouldn't do - and you don't, so good on you for that - is loudly pretend to put someone on ignore and then respond angrily to all his posts anyway. That's seriously sucky.

Just remember: you are 100% free to post as you see fit and have whatever conversations you wish with other members. There is no need to or value in whinging about "not being allowed" to have a conversation: you are perfectly free to have whatever conversation you wish.

(Others may or may not read it, may or may not join it, and you may or not bother reading anything they add to it. That's fine too. All entirely up to you.)

If you're referring to me there, grow up. Rolling Eyes

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:53 pm

I've certainly had many a disagreement with PTID, I prefer to believe that he simply holds his views very passionately, has thought out and considered his views and has come down on the other side to me but not out of any malice. When someone holds a very personal belief it's pretty normal to want to defend that point of view, and his methods are long, verbose and over written posts that tend towards condescension of opposing views. If I didn't temper myself then so would mine. My point is I'm happy to fire back, but constantly jumping on someone when they're not being a pain isn't right and it does make things a bit uncomfortable and is heading a bit towards bullying. I guess this could come under 'if you want to dish it out then you've got to take it' but maybe keep the fight a fair 1v1 and not an angry mob.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Tannin wrote:

You are right in the sense there isn't much anybody can do about anybody else's approach, but also wrong in the sense you can just bypass it.
One's experience is certainly defined by other users to an extent.

You can't really participate properly if you just ignore when you are named or quoted or a point is disputed/ridiculed.
So you engage, only to find yourself dragged into the same tired pissing contest. Again. So you start to post less frequently..........

How many people could that describe over the years??
Again, it's not a whinge but an observation.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:45 pm

think positive wrote:
Sorry didnt realize you don't get sarcasm

After reading monkeys observation, which I agree with, I just reread the entire thread. It's bizarre that this is the point it seemingly went to shit!

I won't write any more whinges, I even deleted the other ones! but I will call out unnecessary cheap shots, because that's where it always starts. Yes I've been guilty of it too. Maybe we all need to respect each other more if we do want to keep this forum a fun place for healthy discussion.

Remember, it's pretty much all opinions, and everyone is entitled to one without being belittled for it. Cheers

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:43 pm

^ Very well spoken, TP. I agree with you entirely. Respect.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:09 am

Of course, it's only fitting that I should write a short essay in reply Very Happy

I appreciate the more liberal views above for the good of the forum, and in the spirit of countering the illiberal tendency of mobbing (a term David introduced to Nick's the other day). And, I also very much like Stui and TP, even though I know I infuriate them, but I see that as a general social dilemma (different personalities, different hierarchies of values, different approaches, different purposes, different needs, different life experiences).

I also think it's pretty obvious no one here needs to take a martyrdom position, myself least of all. No one is picking on powerless outcasts here, as far as anyone can reasonably tell.

I consider us all crazy, myself particularly, though at least I'm willing to get professional help for it Laughing I just don't speak much about my personal life on Nick's because I'm here for the politics and certain shared interests, so you won't hear me talk much about the trials and tribulations that place what some see as condescension in a broader personal context. Does anyone really think that at a personal level I would not have a sympathetic ear for Nicksters or their families, or conversely that I don't think I'm a dickhead or failed hypocrite for doing X or Y instead of Z in everyday life?

But for me, political propaganda, public hoo-ha and daily media cycle nonsense ought to be considered a gloves-off arena from the outset. It doesn't warrant more than it gets.

I suspect my more public interest on Nick's exacerbates these things, but that just goes to basic personality and purpose. I'm a beer and chat person for the more intimate, personal stuff. But for the politics I'm with Keating: It's the ultimate high-wire act because there's so much at stake despite it being so ridiculous in so many ways, and I enjoy the cut and thrust of it. And as stupid as the whole game of charades is, people's lives and happiness are literally very often on the line, so we're not playing for beans by influencing public discourse here even if it often seems as though we are.

I generally try to reserve what I consider due competitive critique for (a) public figures, (b) individual views vocal and loud enough to influence public opinion (no, I don't argue politics and religion with 96-year-old Mrs. Smith), (c) views which I think damage the lives of weaker peoples, and (d) petty ego tit-for-tat (you're a dickhead; no, but you're a moron). At least the people I argue with have the access and capabilities to do the same; like me saying this or not, second generation Muslim kids in the Sydney suburbs, boat people, suicidal gay teenagers, the average Chinese person in suburban Beijing, English learners struggling to get complex sentences out, remote Aboriginal peoples and endangered native Australian marsupials in felled forests and cleared lands, not so much. Take it or leave it.

And this often crosses into the personal because it does, not because I want it to. You'd have to be in extreme denial to think views on complex social problems are derived from some pure rationaility-generating device in our heads; we're not manipulating Lego blocks in these debates. Our views are bound by our brains, and our emotions reside in our brains, so it's a complete social nonsense to even pretend we're playing rationality with a lot of this stuff. Digging into the emotions and motivations is completely rational. And that should be a hint that more often than not we're not arguing a point, we're negotiating social relationships. And social relationships imply perceived social status, and so on, and that gets to the emotional system.

And, agree or not, on a liberal forum in a liberal society, that's an adjudication I have a right to make.

So, in sum, I can't stop what I consider harm being done to others through what I consider reactionary, deeply flawed and of often highly unethical views. But others also can't stop me using the counter leverage available to offset that harm, whether that be the most productive way of doing so or not, whether the harm has been correctly perceived or not.

It's not that complicated IMO, it's just hard to emotionally cope with without retreating into a like-minded, exclusionary huddle. Call that condescending if you will.

But, as HAL used to say in the good old days, "Enough about me; let's talk about my dress."

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun May 31, 2015 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: