Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Solution to Trav's kicking inaccuracy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princem007 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:54 pm
Post subject: Solution to Trav's kicking inaccuracyReply with quote

I have given this some thought and think this is how Trav can fix his shots at goal.

a) if in the unlikely scenario he gets paid a free within 30 metres of goal he acts injured and gets Pendles to take the shot.

b) takes a mark inside 30 metres with 3 defenders hanging off him- see (A)

c) request to umpire if he can set the mark on the 50 metre line.

d) aim for the left side point post which will result in either a goal or out on full. At least this gives him a 50% chance.

Is Lloydy still available?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the club approached Lloyd, who was receptive, but decided that loyalty to his old club came first when he was asked to coach Joe Danihir and other Essendon forwards instead.

Cloke doesn't need yet another stupid new psychologist - the club have just appointed a new one, mad buggers that they are - Cloke needs to be friggin well taught how to kick it properly in the first place.

Hell, Blind Freddie knows I was always a born backman when it came to kicking, but even I can see two huge problems that he never, ever does anything tro correct:

(1) he waves the ball around vaguely any old how a mile above his foot and it is no wonder that he struggles to get a good consistent contact with it

(2) he kicks on an arc, not in a straight line with where he wants the ball to go. This is the equivalent of a golfer trying to correct a slice by lining up on a spot somewhere 50 yards off to the right of the green and hoping the two errors cancel out - which they practically never do.

If I was coaching Cloke - and trust me, I know more about how not to kick a ball than most people - I'd tell him to do just what he does now from anywhere outside 40, but from any closer I'd instruct him to kick it on his right foot. He hasn't got those terrible habits to un-learn on his right foot; he could learn instead to kick it with a technique designed from scratch for accuracy (and distance be buggered).

(PS: as I said, I make no claims for being a good kick myself, but I did learn to bowl a cricket ball consistently onto the spot with excellent line and length, which is not bad for a natural born Bruce Unco. The secret (and it's no secret) is to bowl it exactly the same way every single time: same run up, same point of release, same action, and always, always, keep your arm in line with the stumps as you bring it through. It's the same theory as kicking a ball or driving off the 7th tee. It's not just doing it the same way every time, it's also doing it straight, in line with the objective. Some people (e.g., Jeff Thomson, Buddy Franklin) can ignore the rules and still go OK); most people need to do it the right way. Cloke is an example. But he never will, 'cause the stupid club keeps buggerising about with dumb psychologists instead of actually teaching him how to kick a football.)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:39 pm

Tannin wrote:
No, the club approached Lloyd, who was receptive, but decided that loyalty to his old club came first when he was asked to coach Joe Danihir and other Essendon forwards instead.

Far be it from me to be a contrarian but:

According to Lloyd speaking on 3AW footy during the broadcast last week:

* Lloyd was happy to coach both Daniher & Cloke

* Hird just wanted Lloyd to teach Daniher to kick straight consistently

* Bucks said choose 1 team but not both

Methinks Bucks erred.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:02 am

Interesting, WPT. I was going on this: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/travis-cloke-turns-to-sports-psychologist-for-goalkicking-help-20150421-1mpwke.html Your source sounds more authoritive.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:06 am

Tannin wrote:
Interesting, WPT. I was going on this: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/travis-cloke-turns-to-sports-psychologist-for-goalkicking-help-20150421-1mpwke.html Your source sounds more authoritive.

Heard it on the radio while at the footy last Friday night. (I just get sick of listening to Parkin on 3LO)

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:07 am

Get Dids back at the club to work with Cloke. His kicking action was the purest I've seen from anyone, including McKenna.
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:10 am

He could start by keeping his body over the ball instead of leaning back. im not sure who is coaching but looks poor to me ( both results and technique).
Rev 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:19 am

Bucks was on SEN today (not sure if it was live or a repeat of an earlier interview) and he said they had began a new playing-list-wide program for goal kicking in the last two weeks. The guy running it is the guy who worked with and mentored Matthew Lloyd.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:27 am

June 11, 2013 is when I wrote about Cloke's kicking under 'Can Cloke's kicking be fixed?' (the one with correction to point 4.)

It's nearly 2 years since I wrote that piece and despite a few tweaks by Cloke , I still see the same issues AND as I said, you have to understand "what your are doing" to apply "what you need to do" to give yourself a better goal return.

I welcome the challenge...

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:12 am

For the convenience of readers, here it is: http://nick.magpies.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=71232&start=18

BEAMER09 wrote:
Message to Collingwood ALL coaches

Clokes Kicking Action - Analysis for Correction -

1. His shoulders are not square on approach to goal.

2. His left shoulder falls away when left hand is released mainly causes ball to go left of target (this is partly due to the fact that he leans too far back).

3. His hips are not square either he has a tendency to slightly rotate the left hip inwards which causes the ball to go right. This seems to happen more so when he accelerates his left leg more than he should when kicking for goal.

4. On approach to goal, he leans too far back must be a bit more upright and this can alleviate the above problems as his shoulders and hips will be more square to the ground and less margin for error. And his left arm needs to be a bit more more relaxed.

5. His right foot must not be planted either as it should be flexible enough to adjust while in motion of kicking with his left foot. Having the right foot planted you become static and can cause problems with shoulders and hips as outlined (being flexible allows fluent kicking action and follow through).

6. His biggest issue is his left leg. If you think of a pendulum, it mainly swings up and down in pretty much a straight line. With Cloke, his left leg becomes cocked at the knee and more so with his left ankle which makes goal kicking that little bit harder because as the left leg follows through to kick the ball, the cocking of the leg/ankle has to straighten up when impact is made with the ball. As that being Clokes kicking style and even if the above 5 steps were corrected, he would still have that slight problem kicking for goal due to his cocking but atleast he will have a better goal return than he currently has now (needs to correct the cocking and thats won't be easy).

7. The other minor issue that I can see is his approach to kicking for goal. As they say, the way you line up to goal is the way the ball will travel. Looking at Cloke, even though it appears he gets his kicking actions right at times and all looks good, his approach to goal is not in a direct line as it looks, therefore, the ball will travel in the line you have taken (thats easy to correct). With Cloke being a left footer, he should line up between the inside left goal post and the centre of the goals as you have to allow a little bit of left to right generated by his kicking style providing the above steps are met.

You can work on the above to correct your kicking actions. It doesnt guarantee you 100% (nothing does) but the return will be much higher than it currently is. Basically, its no different to a golf swing and if the stance and rhythm arent right, neither is the swing.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:17 am

Beamer09, what do you reckon about my notion of (a) admitting that he will never learn to kick properly on his left foot because he won't be able to unlearn all those bad habits, and (b) starting afresh with the "wrong" foot? (We are not worried about distance here, he can still roost it left-footed from outside the 50 if he wants to, I'm just looking to get a basic, no-frills servicable kick for goal going for those 25 metre shots he regularly butchers on his left.)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:53 am

The metaphor with a golf swing is often used, but a difference is that you don't use the same swing for a drive as for a putt. Set shot goal kicking is like putting. It's a totally different thing to a drive, yet people try to adapt the field kicking routine to set shot kicking.

For a set shot you only need a handful of steps and do all the things beamer said. it can be mechanical and rigid as long as it's repeatable.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:49 am

You do use the same swing Stui. For everything except putting. That is why you have different clubs in your bag: to hit the ball further or closer. That is the whole point of having a 3 iron and a 7 and a pitching wedge: you use the same swing. That's how you get good at it.

(And set shot kicking is nothing remotely like putting. Daft notion.)

Medieval 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:22 am

I think most of Cloke's issues would be solved simply by him kicking through the ball. He tends to stab at it when he's in close, which causes him to miss. He's a lot more accurate from outside 50 because he's reverting to his natural action of kicking through it. Trav's two options are to either revert to his natural action and kicking through the ball - regardless of distance - or to revamp his kicking action. In the second instance, the player I'd love to see help him with his action is Jonathan Brown. The bloke had one of the best set shot actions and follow throughs that I've ever seen and in the words of Lethal, Browny was "a textbook example of how to kick for goal".
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:56 am

(And set shot kicking is nothing remotely like putting. Daft notion.)[/quote]

I beg to differ tannin.

Putting puts you in the same mental space as set shot goal kicking. On the course you will have blokes who will never understand that the sane techniques time and again if correct will average out to be better for your score card than not knowing good technique. These are putts of 3m or less, the one you must make for par or worse. Trav doesn't do the same thing twice, he's not relaxed which would be hard with that much adrenaline pumping throughout but a routine and good technique would fix the bugs in him. A head coach well that is in realm of madness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: