Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale Richie Benaud

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:20 am
Post subject: Vale Richie BenaudReply with quote

Vale Richie Benaud. RIP.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-great-richie-benaud-dead-20150410-1mhzdy.html

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to Hear but when they showed him last year at the start of the Cricket.

He already looked half dead - So not a big Surprise

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:40 pm

Gees Dave!

I'm surprised, seemed like he'd go on for ever. Some really great sporting memories. Some really great parodies, and yet he had a sense of humour about it.

May he RIP.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:48 pm

Perhaps he can do that. How difficult is RIP ?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm with Dave, when I saw him early in the summer i thought that if that was the best the 9 make up dept could do with him he was on borrowed time.

But also agree he was the voice of cricket for pretty much most of my time really watching it. Single most recognisable figure in cricket after The Don.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Just read this obit by Billy birmingham AKA the 12th Man and thought I'd share it.

Quote:
It's hard to put into words the way I've been feeling since I heard Richie "From The Body Of The Same Name" Benaud has passed away.

Very sad. Quite nauseous, actually. Struggling to find the right words. Disoriented.

What is the appropriate response to the passing of a man who has been such an integral part of your life, your career, your identity for more than 30 years?

How are you supposed to feel when the bloke with whom millions associate you has delivered his last "chew for chwenty chew"?

I know I won't be alone in feeling this way. Richie has occupied a special place in our homes and our hearts for decades. The world changed so much over that time. Richie didn't seem to.

I must admit that I was quite shocked to see how his health had deteriorated when we shot his brilliant Australia Day "lamb" commercial together at the start of the summer.

The first thing I noticed was that his always impeccably coiffed hair had succumbed to the ravages of chemotherapy. Then, when I put my arm around him and felt just how much he had wasted away, I was profoundly shocked and saddened. The recovery from the accident in the Sunbeam had clearly it taken out of him but he was now facing an even bigger battle as his years of playing cricket hatless had resulted in skin cancer.

There was something in his eyes, too. If you asked him how he was, the reply was always along the lines of, "Pleased to report I'm on the mend." But you knew that was stoicism, not reality. I was bloody amazed that he even had the strength to show up at all.

How thrilled I was to have been able to catch up with the great man one more time and to be a small part of his fabulous TV ad.

I took the piss out of him for more than 30 years and now here I was working with him on what turned out to be his last major project.

How marvellous!

It's hard to imagine there is another Australian out there as universally loved as Richie. It was a kind of affection that isn't conditional on cricketing skills or commentary work. People just adored the man.

That's why everyone gives their mate a knowing nudge when the scoreboard ticks over to 2-22, why entire sections of the crowd don silver wigs and beige jackets at the Sydney Test each year, why reciting Richie's commentary gems has become a national pastime.

Rest in peace, Richie.

Incomparable, irreplaceable, the one and only (he didn't like the word 'doyen).

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Wonderful player, said to be a very decent man. Couldn't stand his commentary - well, better than that tool Greig and a million miles better than the idiots they have on TV ignoring the cricket now, though that isn't saying much - but a good man and a great Australian cricketer. He will be missed.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:56 am

Very sad news! Cricket commentary in the summer won't be the same ever again.

RIP Richie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: