Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Parenting overweight children

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
Some children are just genetically predisposed to be overweight like there parents.

Some children develop eating disorders which puts there life in immediate danger but hey they're nice and thin.

Personally I'd rather by carrying an extra few kilos and enjoying life than being someone overly obsessed with body weight, exercise and everything that goes in my mouth.

Parents like that could well be doing psychological harm to there children that carries through there life if they're not careful.

Being slim isn't a guarantee or necessarily a sign of good health either for a variety of reasons and who knows what dangerous stresses are being put on ones brain, heart, lungs as well as bones and joints by people who engage in obsessive exercise regimes over years and decades.

Being morbidly obese isn't a healthy or an attractive situation to find one self in no doubt but for me anyway nor is the complete opposite of vanity and weight obsession that results in ill health.

Rather be a little fat and jolly than skinny and miserable unwilling to sample some of life's delights.

Now someone pass me a New Yorker.

Over weight or obese? We talking a few kg or 10? For a kid that a lot.

Why do you have to talk the complete opposite? Why not keep on topic? Funny that always happens when weight gets mentioned. The last taboo!

Being overly obsessive about anything is generally not healthy.

I'm not talking about never giving a kid chocolate, chips, etc, I'm talking about teaching them moderation, as with everything in life. Balance.

Where did I say "skinny", or even "slim?"

Healthy, good food, real food, 80/20 treats. And some heart pumping excercise at least occasionally, and at least decent walks every other day. Get kids out in the air and let them breathe.

By the way, for A lot of people who develop eating disorders, it's not so much about weight. It's about control. For what ever reason, what ever circumstance causes them to feel loss of control. Especially with vulnerable teens. The air brushed pics in the magazine don't help. It can be about life spiralling out of control, and the only thing you can control, is eating. Or rather, not eating. At school I was a year younger, I spoke with an accent, I was immature and annoyingly hypo, I didn't get much loving at home. When I was 16, I left school and started an apprenticeship. That's when my mum started sharing some of the more horrible things I'd blocked out. That's when I stepped in front of my fathers fist to protect my mother. That's when I told my mother to leave, at least think about my younger sister, it was too late for us. But she stayed. I started a diet to get rid of the puppy fat that comes with transforming from a girl to a woman. I was successful, people noticed, so I kept on going. In the end I was living on carrots and tea. My father yelled at me. Knock it off he said. One day I was desperate and walked into the old physc hospital that was next to Footscray hospital. Some female doc said to me" your never going to be a beauty queen anyway!". I went to a support group, on my own. I felt too fat to be there! The next 5-6 years I went from starving to binging and throwing up, and back again. My self esteem was in the gutter. After a particularly bad fight with my dad, he told me to get the hell out, so I did. I was 21, broke, paying off my car, working a job I hated. I got pleurisy. And I was home watching Oprah one day, and doctor phil came on. He said " you are responsible for your own happiness, no one can do it for you. You need to be kind to yourself, you need to forgive your inner child for what you went through. You need to let it go". That very day I started taking responsibility for me. I got my self healthy. It wasn't easy. I pretty much had no one.

Now years later, I still try my best to stay in my size 12 jeans! I just feel better. I feel like I look better. Occasionally I get into my 10s and yeah, that's really cool! But I don't kill myself to do it. It's different now. I'm in control. I have balance, right now I'm fighting turn 50 fat around the middle, a new thing for me, I've never had a stomach! The 12 s are a bit tight, and I keep promising to quit drinking, and give up chocolate, but life's a bit stressful right now, and yeah, I'll get there. For me. I love to look in the mirror and see muscle definition. I'm not obsessed, I just like it. And I love the feeling you get when you walk out the gym, and you know you gave it everything you could. You left nothing behind. Still sweating 1/2 an hour after your shower! I love feeling strong, I love looking good in my jeans, I love not having to wear sleeves! my role models are not skinny models, they are Lara croft (Angelina with muscles) Michelle Rodriguez, and that's what my two daughters like too!

Starving for me was not about being a size 8 (I was for a while, yuk) it was about feeling something, yes it was pain, but a pain I had control of. I'm guessing the other spectrum of disordered eating, overeating, can come from a similar home.

I've tried hard not to be my parents. Not to be a door mat like my mother, or a bully, like my father. Balance. Tried to provide a good atmosphere to raise the kids in. For the most part, I think I've done a good job.

Back on subject, for me it's about giving your kids balance, teaching them self control, and good habits. Lead by example. The best thing you can give your kids is your time, your patience, a good education, a happy childhood, and yes, a good healthy start in life. And balanced eating, healthy eating, and a life that doesn't just mean playing computer games, or watching telly.

Right now, I'm off to the gym for some "Die Hard!" Or maybe "Rocky". That'll take care of the oven fries I had with the fish, and the red wine I'll have later!

Last week I did a 5klm summit challenge, with 36 obstacles! I didn't do them all properly, but I tred em all! And then I came home to anti inflams swallowed down with American honey! Balance. Cheers

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:05 pm

I enjoyed this:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/08/fat-healthy-dieting-health-reasons-overweight-lifespan-weight

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Huh, overweight or mildy obese.

There is such thing as healthy fat. The fat you find in coconuts and avocado, nuts. All good fats. Just use in moderation.

And as many articles you find like your link, I can find just as many that say the opposite. Though once again the article confuses healthy weight with thin or skinny. I've never said thin or skinny were healthy, or attractive.

Also note this paragraph:

should this movement gain traction, it could have one particularly interesting side-effect: perhaps it will make people more upfront about their motivation for losing weight. As a fat person, and a fat activist, I often have to smile and nod while people pleadingly explain to me that they’re losing weight for health reasons, which, to their mind, I cannot argue with."

So yeah his findings are as meaningful as a Shane Warne study on the sanctity of marriage.

"If scientific opinion now states that overweight people live the longest, surely it’s in everyone’s interest to be overweight. In my experience it’s people who are overweight rather than obese who are most vocal and aggressive about their efforts to lose weight, and those people will now have to fess up that really they’re doing it because they think being fat looks gross. They’ll have to address their prejudices against certain body types, and how they feel about being someone who has one of those bodies. That’s an honesty that I, for one, would appreciate."

Well that first line, given the way humans always magnify things could be dangerous. You say fat, they think obese. And that is not healthy.

As for the second part about honesty, yeah honest truth is the majority of people find overweight, or obese body gross. And yeah I'll be honest too, I totally agree. I also find too thin bodies gross, aka Rebecca Judd. And David, while we're on the subject, you wanna borrow some Dumbbells? Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:00 pm

This superficiality is a social construct, though, and exactly what fat pride activists are trying to challenge.

You're entitled to find other people's bodies 'gross', but it's generally polite to keep such opinions to yourself.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:28 pm

David wrote:
This superficiality is a social construct, though, and exactly what fat pride activists are trying to challenge.

You're entitled to find other people's bodies 'gross', but it's generally polite to keep such opinions to yourself.

Fat pride, black pride, gay pride, for (mates with) sake, can't we all just be people!

By the way sorry didn't mean I think your gross, was a fitness joke sorry

Last edited by think positive on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 pm

David wrote:
I enjoyed this:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/08/fat-healthy-dieting-health-reasons-overweight-lifespan-weight

One of the shittiest articles I've ever read, more a Tumblr blog than journalism. The comments are better researched than the article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22530540

It is also based on BMI which is a flawed method of determining 'fatness'. When I was competing in martial arts at 85kg (walkaround weight of 89kg) I was borderline 'obese' on the BMI scale but had a low body fat percentage.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:35 pm

I agree that BMI is a dubious measurement, but I'm sure that the statistics referred to in these articles can't all be accounted for by bodybuilders.

If you didn't like that article, here's a different one making the same argument:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-being-overweight-means-you-live-longer-the-way-scientists-twist-the-facts-10158229.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:26 pm

There'll always be fringe outliers in any field and yeah a lot of the medical warnings about different things can be factually argued against.

I have sympathy for people with medical conditions that have an adverse impact on their weight, I don't have a lot for those people who are committing suicide by Pizza. Being obese is not a healthy alternative and while shaming people for it isn't helpful or particularly fair for those who can't help it, encouraging/supporting it is ridiculous.

I've raised kids, I allowed them to eat junk food but limited it and focused on health and fitness with getting them active rather than weight focused. My Dr wants me to lose 10kg, I'm currently 100kg and 190cm. I don't think I've weight 90kg since my early 30's so it aint happening but if I can push down to 95 or 96 I'll be happy.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:38 pm

How Eating Less Might Make You Live Longer

Summary:
Caloric restriction in non-obese people translates into less oxidative damage in muscle cells, according to a new study by Anthony Civitarese, Eric Ravussin and colleagues (Pennington Biomedical Research Center). As oxidative damage has been linked to aging, this could explain how limiting calorie intake without malnutrition extends life span.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070305202936.htm
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Being obese is not a healthy alternative and while shaming people for it isn't helpful or particularly fair for those who can't help it, encouraging/supporting it is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone's saying that people should be encouraged to be obese, just that self-acceptance and self-esteem shouldn't be tied to weight loss. Essentially, that being obese doesn't make you less of a person (so to speak!).

Wokko, I don't think these studies are necessarily contradictory. For one thing, "eating less" is not necessarily the same thing as "not being clinically overweight". Secondly, weight loss and weight gain increase health in different ways, so it's probably inevitable that different studies will claim that each lead to longer lifespans. What's interesting about the studies referenced in the Independent article above is that they so directly contradict popular wisdom. Nearly everybody believes that being in the 'normal' BMI range is ideal, so scientific studies saying otherwise are obviously worthy of attention.

Because of the way weight is treated in our society, I think there's a common conflation between average healthy weight and a conventionally sexually attractive figure, when in reality these are two quite different things. Hence, you have generations of teenage girls growing up with the belief that not having a flat stomach is a problem (think positive above speaks with pride about "never having had a stomach", for instance, despite the fact she could have had that most feared medical condition, "the muffin top", and still been in a healthy weight range). I don't think the health and fitness industries do nearly enough to challenge that paradigm, which is why we need to be reminded from time to time that being a bit 'overweight' is actually perfectly fine.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:48 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Being obese is not a healthy alternative and while shaming people for it isn't helpful or particularly fair for those who can't help it, encouraging/supporting it is ridiculous.

I don't think anyone's saying that people should be encouraged to be obese, just that self-acceptance and self-esteem shouldn't be tied to weight loss. Essentially, that being obese doesn't make you less of a person (so to speak!).

Wokko, I don't think these studies are necessarily contradictory. For one thing, "eating less" is not necessarily the same thing as "not being clinically overweight". Secondly, weight loss and weight gain increase health in different ways, so it's probably inevitable that different studies will claim that each lead to longer lifespans. What's interesting about the studies referenced in the Independent article above is that they so directly contradict popular wisdom. Nearly everybody believes that being in the 'normal' BMI range is ideal, so scientific studies saying otherwise are obviously worthy of attention.

Because of the way weight is treated in our society, I think there's a common conflation between average healthy weight and a conventionally sexually attractive figure, when in reality these are two quite different things. Hence, you have generations of teenage girls growing up with the belief that not having a flat stomach is a problem (think positive above speaks with pride about "never having had a stomach", for instance, despite the fact she could have had that most feared medical condition, "the muffin top", and still been in a healthy weight range). I don't think the health and fitness industries do nearly enough to challenge that paradigm, which is why we need to be reminded from time to time that being a bit 'overweight' is actually perfectly fine.

See I can't figure out if your talking extremes or not.

People should always have good self esteem, and it shouldn't be tied to your body shape, but that's human nature. Funny that your attempt at sarcasm could not be more truthful. A muffin top can be a severe health problem. Unlike the normal female fat that gathers on bums and thighs. It's the fat that accululates around your middle, around your vital organs, that kills you. A simple little muffin top probably won't hurt, but in today's world of supersize me, it doesn't take much for that muffin top to burst out the wrapper!

No one should feel like a lesser person because they don't have a six pack. No one should feel like a lesser person because they didn't go to uni. In my mind we are all equal. Those I put on a pedestal are exceptional. Exceptional means different things to different people. I save my admiration for the selfless, who go to the aid of others in need, who basically do something for someone expecting no reward. The woman I admire vary, but none are admired for being skinny. I admire Oprah, for her incredible drive, and boundless energy to help others, and her pure honesty when it comes to her own life's battles. I admire Rebs Macintyre for her meaningful songs. I used to admire Angelina for her incredible athletic body, now I do it for her humanitarian deads.

But seriously, this big drive to say it's ok to be obese is doing no one any favours. If we can keep the population to within 5-7 kg of their personal ideal, heart surgery, stroke, will not be the only things reduced. Knee joints, hips, all those things are effected by carrying too much weight. It's like pulling a massive caravan with a four cylinder hatch back, it's just common sense.

And by the way, I'm happy to note, the pudgy little muffin top, is almost history! Now for the thunder thighs, but hey, they won't kill me! Cheers

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:41 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Nothing wrong with being a bit overweight. Not being able to walk up a couple of flights of stairs because you're obese IS a problem.

And the sexually attractive thing is a furphy. You can tell people what YOU think is attractive but you can't make people find that attractive. Do a sample of 100 blokes and you'll get all sorts of different versions of what they find sexually attractive, very few of them will actually prefer the emaciated skeletons used on the fashion runways.

On the other hand, I wouldn't root Rebel Wilson with Swoop's dick because I just don't find her attractive.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Time to trigger David.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFgNhyP4-A
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:50 pm

The only thing that video triggers is memories of its last 15 seconds of fame and all the tedious think pieces it spawned. Unlike some, I don't tend to actively look for things to get outraged about. Let me know if you managed to make it through more than 30 seconds of the video; it's hard work!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:55 pm

David wrote:
The only thing that video triggers is memories of its last 15 seconds of fame and all the tedious think pieces it spawned. Unlike some, I don't tend to actively look for things to get outraged about. Let me know if you managed to make it through more than 30 seconds of the video; it's hard work!

I found it because one of her other pieces, I find her really funny. Now I have to stop saying there are no funny female comedians Laughing

The fact she rustles the jimmies of the identity politics crowd may bias my opinion somewhat Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: