Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dane Swan - a little respect

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I rated Swan highly for his efforts. Yes, a bit scrappy at times, but as others have noted, his endeavour was outstanding when we needed it toward the end of the match.

Some hope that Swan still gets a little better as his fitness builds. I think this season will be a tough one for Pies fans, but Swan putting in will be one constant.

I had both Swan and Langdon in my votes. They were the difference in the final quarter. Langdon does remind me of Jimmy Clement across half back with pretty sure skills.

1948pie Aries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:00 pm

Greg Davis from the HS gave him 3 votes, BOG so he can't have been too bad
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:42 pm

Redlight wrote:
His disposal looked a bit suss because it seemed that every quick kick from a pack went to the Lions, but they were quick clearances, not turnovers running forward into space.

I thought he was super last night.

There's something perfectly Collingwood about Swan, the unpretentious working class hero who looks overweight, runs like an old man but who is actually an absolute champion.

He's one for the ages.

Come on, lets keep it real. Look at all that body ink - that's not what unpretentious people do. And as for "working class hero" - the man's a multi-millionaire. He is so far removed from average working class Australian it doesn't bear thinking. He's more middle class aspirational.

By all means admire his current footy talents (imagined and real) if you will, but don't fall head over heels in love with the artificial public persona that he and his PR advisers have constructed. Swanny, in real life, is one of the biggest Torries in the game.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:05 pm

I think, for this purpose, 'working class hero' describes where you come from rather than where you end up. Swan's dad Billy was a bloody good footballer in his own right but his 'primary career outside football was on the wharves in Port Melbourne, where he was a union delegate' (Wikipedia).

I think that qualifies as a working-class background.

There are plenty of working class heroes who finish up very wealthy indeed. Many of them via the arena of sport.

I doubt there are many aspirational middle-class individuals that would look people like Swanny as a poster boy.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:27 pm

He looks in fairly good nic considering his limited pre season, main thing is he's apparently pain free for the first time in a long while, expect him right up there for another Copeland come seasons end.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 am

Woods wrote:
Redlight wrote:
His disposal looked a bit suss because it seemed that every quick kick from a pack went to the Lions, but they were quick clearances, not turnovers running forward into space.

I thought he was super last night.

There's something perfectly Collingwood about Swan, the unpretentious working class hero who looks overweight, runs like an old man but who is actually an absolute champion.

He's one for the ages.

Come on, lets keep it real. Look at all that body ink - that's not what unpretentious people do. And as for "working class hero" - the man's a multi-millionaire. He is so far removed from average working class Australian it doesn't bear thinking. He's more middle class aspirational.

By all means admire his current footy talents (imagined and real) if you will, but don't fall head over heels in love with the artificial public persona that he and his PR advisers have constructed. Swanny, in real life, is one of the biggest Torries in the game.

using that analogy, the working middle class have no chance to make anything of themselves, because as soon as they do, they are no longer working middle class. Got it.....

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Swanny 2015 doesn't have that explosive pace the old Swanny had. His trademark has always been that deceptive short-stepping sprint out of traffic. That extra half-yard was what allowed him the time to balance and deliver untroubled by opponents. What we are seeing now is a new and different Swan: his reactions are as quick as ever, his ball handling remains first class, and he knows exactly where he needs to be to get the pill - I think he is playing smarter than ever, and why not after all those years honing his craft? - he just doesn't have the afterburner legs he had in his prime.

Will he recapture that magical run as he works into the season? Who can say? If he does, will his ageing body stand up to the strain? (That extra force creating the last half-yard can be the difference between straining a calf or hammy and running out a season intact. Older players are very prone to recurrent leg injuries. Just ask Bucks about that. Or Presti.)

My guess is no, Swanny will never quite be the unexpected speed demon he was a few years back. But that doesn't mean he is finished! Even in his current shape, Swanny picked up a pile of possessions, most of them contested, and he never stops working on his game. If he can't recapture his pace, he will substitute with guile and figure out ways to dispose of the pill to advantage even without the extra quarter second he is used to having.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Your age is old enough.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Never doubt a champ
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Collingwood won the second quarter centre clearances 9:0. Just sayin'.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:22 pm

dalyc wrote:
Never doubt a champ

He is showing something special, no doubt. Stats don't capture what he has contributed so far.

DT56 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Great game by Swanny .. down here and he is making our weekend a real pleasure to watch
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:00 pm

His accuracy % is up to 75. Smile

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:47 pm

Geez, Elle McPherson aint young anymore but there would be a few of us on here that wouldn't say no. Take swanny for what he was and now is and still capable of teaching the young uns a thing or 2. Both Swanny and Eddy for that matter came from working class roots but it doesn't mean they are not allowed to earn a crust for being good at what they do or buy a joint in South Yarra.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:53 pm

The little champ is back. Well done Swanny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11   

Jump to: