Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dane Swan - a little respect

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkstranger wrote:
I'll give him another 2 weeks to settle before I retire him....needs to sure up his one grab skills, but yes it may still be a bit early............2 more weeks!

Who made you judge, jury and executioner..
Give him two weeks then what? What exactly ard you going to do? Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Clemo on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:44 pm
Post subject: Re: Dane Swan - a little respectReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I have just watched the game again. From the time the Bears got within 10 points (about 6 and a half minutes to go), Swan and Langdon played them almost on their own for the next 5 minutes or so.

Yep, Swanny is a gun and is looking like he's going to have a good year,

Can we get a bit of love for Langdon as well?

Here, Stui.

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=76633&start=0

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:52 pm

His disposal looked a bit suss because it seemed that every quick kick from a pack went to the Lions, but they were quick clearances, not turnovers running forward into space.

I thought he was super last night.

There's something perfectly Collingwood about Swan, the unpretentious working class hero who looks overweight, runs like an old man but who is actually an absolute champion.

He's one for the ages.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:01 am

Definitely showed he is a long way from the horror of last season did Swanny
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:28 am

Swanny is a legend! Sure his disposal efficiency was poor on Saturday night but the heart and desire he showed throughout the game especially in the last five minutes was absolutely magnificent and shouldn't be underestimated as to why we held on for a hard-fought win in the end.

He's an absolute champion of the club who I hope has a year of rejuvenation after a poor year for his standards last year. Great post P4S!

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:52 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
10 disposals, 9 contested,

8 straight to Brisbane players...
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Is that right? I felt like he turned it over a bit, but 8 straight?

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:33 am

A fit Swan and Reid and Greenwood and we go from also-ransom to top six contenders.

Love Swanny, the quintessential Magpie warrior.

think better 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:24 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Champion data shows Swan had 5 turnovers for the game - just to compare they show Sidebottom had 7 turnovers

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:32 am

think better wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Champion data shows Swan had 5 turnovers for the game - just to compare they show Sidebottom had 7 turnovers

Is a turnover taking it from the opposition, rather than giving it up think better? Eg, Sidebottom didn't miss a target the whole game - he did kick to an aerial contest a couple of times but he certainly didn't "turn the ball over" to Brisbane 7 times. Thus, on the AFL site's "advanced stats" page, Swanny shows as having 6 "clangers" for the game (along with Adams and Cloke), while Sidey shows as having none (along with Crisp).
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:50 am

Swan showed great leadership when it mattered. We were being overrun and Swan stopped the onslaught. He will get better as he gets fitter.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:01 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I have just watched the game again. From the time the Bears got within 10 points (about 6 and a half minutes to go), Swan and Langdon played them almost on their own for the next 5 minutes or so. Swanny's relentless efforts stopped the Bears breaking clear again until it no longer mattered. 10 disposals, 9 contested, in the last quarter, when almost every other Collingwood player was going up and down in the one spot.

Assuming he remains fit this season, he will pass the total of Collingwood games played by Phonse Kyne, Gavin Crosisca, Peter Daicos, Lou Richards, Harry Collier and Gavin Brown - and he will be hot on the heels of Nathan Buckley, Jock McHale, Scott Burns and Len Thompson. Some achievement!

Looking at his game last night statistically, his disposal average over his career is a whisker under 27 per game, yet - before last night - his average from his 14 matches against the Bears was his "worst" of his averages against specific opposition (at about 24 per game). Thus, Dane Swan, playing his 237th career game, reached a new personal statistical high and, in doing so, just about carried the 'Pies to safety when they looked to be on the ropes.

Enjoy it while it lasts, folks. His continued enormous contribution should not be overlooked.

Nailed it. Last night when I rang my 85 year old uncle (we do training together still), to discuss the game, he asked me for my votes. I told him that Langdon got mine for saving us in the last. He quickly shot back, "What about Swan, didn't you give him votes?" Now Swanny got votes for his last quarter, in fact I rated him in our top 3 in the last, but overall I couldn't fit him into my final 5.
My uncle rated him BOG by a considerable margin: To paraphrase: "It's not just the number of his disposals, it's because they were all under pressure; he kept taking us forward, gaining ground when it counted and keeping it off them. It was his experience. I think we lose the game without him." He's usually right. I'm sticking with Langdon, but Swanny is gradually working his way back.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:01 am

Watching the game at the time, I was frustrated with what seemed like a series of kick and hope efforts which resulted in turnovers or a 50/50 contest. Watching it again today i still thought his impact well below his glory days, but he did get it a lot, and it was indeed better than I remembered. Still wonder whether he is too quick to put ball to boot because he has lost some pace, or lost confidence in his pace. Outrunning Beams late in the game - who has never been a speedster - doesn't decide it for me.

None of that negates the fact that he's an all time Collingwood hero - Premiership player, brownlow medallist, multiple Copeland winner. That's the definition of a Collingwood legend. But even legends have their limits, and he is - what ? 30 this year ? Last year it looked like we were entering the twilight, but perhaps there is time for an Indian summer. I certainly hope so.

think better 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:26 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
think better wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Is a turnover taking it from the opposition, rather than giving it up think better? Eg, Sidebottom didn't miss a target the whole game - he did kick to an aerial contest a couple of times but he certainly didn't "turn the ball over" to Brisbane 7 times. Thus, on the AFL site's "advanced stats" page, Swanny shows as having 6 "clangers" for the game (along with Adams and Cloke), while Sidey shows as having none (along with Crisp).

Fair cop! still I reckon a lot of Swan's clearances late in the game went wide to the boundary into space, he was one of our best lat in the game for winning the ball.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:34 am

Mugwump wrote:
Watching the game at the time, I was frustrated with what seemed like a series of kick and hope efforts which resulted in turnovers or a 50/50 contest. Watching it again today i still thought his impact well below his glory days, but he did get it a lot, and it was indeed better than I remembered. Still wonder whether he is too quick to put ball to boot because he has lost some pace, or lost confidence in his pace. Outrunning Beams late in the game - who has never been a speedster - doesn't decide it for me.

None of that negates the fact that he's an all time Collingwood hero - Premiership player, brownlow medallist, multiple Copeland winner. That's the definition of a Collingwood legend. But even legends have their limits, and he is - what ? 30 this year ? Last year it looked like we were entering the twilight, but perhaps there is time for an Indian summer. I certainly hope so.

Swan is my age. Though he was born in Feb 84, so he's 31.

I'm not expecting Swan of 2010 and 2011, but getting it 31 times is still decent.

I reckon the players were stuffed by 3/4 time. They looked absolutely knackered. Mostly due to humidity I'd think?

I'm willing to let this one slide.

After the week they had with the media and the two boys, Varcoe said it's been a distraction, I think getting away with the 4 points is a massive plus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11   

Jump to: