Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our big man conundrum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
Witts with his off season shoulder surgery and subsequent limited preseason would be in doubt for round 1 you'd imagine.

Who knows perhaps we'll just go with Grundy and play 2 of White, Keeffe or Gault all of whom could pinch hit in the ruck when needed.

P.S-I know that Keeffe has been doing forward training this preseason but has anyone noticed him doing ruck work?

Various players rotated through ruck drills after Christmas, Swoop. At one session Grundy, Cox, Keeffe, Gault and Pendlebury were in a specilaised drill with a bank of trainers.

From memory, Witts hasn't done much body work but that isn't surprising considering his surgery.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:43 am

For me we have 2 KPF in White and Gault that can genuinely play as a second ruck and another KPP in Keeffe whos trained as a forward and back and can play ruck albeit still developing.

the problem is that Grundy and Witts have not yeat stood up as a KPF.
Both are developing exceptionaly well through the ruck and around the ground but for me unless they can play consistantly forward when not on the ball we would need to have Cloke as the main forward then White and one of Keeffe or Gault up forward changing into ruck

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:47 am

swoop42 wrote:
Witts with his off season shoulder surgery and subsequent limited preseason would be in doubt for round 1 you'd imagine.

Who knows perhaps we'll just go with Grundy and play 2 of White, Keeffe or Gault all of whom could pinch hit in the ruck when needed.

P.S-I know that Keeffe has been doing forward training this preseason but has anyone noticed him doing ruck work?

Witts did the full VFL training session at the intraclub including all of the contact stuff. Don't think he's that far away.

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:18 am

melliot wrote:
To be fair, we may start off okay. But we'll tire after half way. Too many young unseasoned players.

I'm still excited about the season. Lookin forward to seeing who develops. Thomas. Broomy. BK. Faz. Sinkers. Marley. Grundy. Witts. Adams. Keeffe. Frost. Crisp. PK. Seedsman. White. These guys have had 2-4 years in the system and have shown glimpses of top line player potential. They are where our improvement will come from this year or where we tread water. How many of them have breakout years this year will determine much of our fate.
DeGoey, Moore, Freeman, Scharenberg and the like may play cameos. Not the heavy lifting.

My feel it's a year too early for the majority of the group. But they could surprise like 2007.

I don't think we'll tire as much as we did in 2014. Yes, we're still inexperienced but the core group of our inexperienced players have 3+ years in the system. Players like Broomy, BK, Grundy, Witts, Seedsman, Thomas, Adams, Ramsay, Sinclair, Crisp, Karnezis, Williams, Frost, Keeffe, Gault, Oxley should all be starting to build core strength and fitness despite not yet getting to the magical 50 games. Even Langdon could maintain his early 2014 form longer.

Add some cameo contribution from the new kids like Freeman, Marsh, De Goey, Goodyear, Manteit, Maynard and Moore to allow management of the 3+ (including senior players) and we should be stronger for longer.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:30 pm

Id play White and or Moore back both have grest pace, White has experience and it gives us more options, Gault looks he could be anything , I think we need to wear shades
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:04 pm

BHPIE wrote:
Id play White and or Moore back both have grest pace, White has experience and it gives us more options, Gault looks he could be anything , I think we need to wear shades

I like the look of Gault. He looks like a footy player. Not sure if I'm being too influenced by the big raps given to him by Dermie & Brownie on Fox but he does fit in "nicely". Nice mark, good kick, moves well & a quick handballer. A lot to like.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:01 pm

watt price tully wrote:
BHPIE wrote:

I like the look of Gault. He looks like a footy player. Not sure if I'm being too influenced by the big raps given to him by Dermie & Brownie on Fox but he does fit in "nicely". Nice mark, good kick, moves well & a quick handballer. A lot to like.

Yeah, I'm impressed with Gault too. Reckon he'll be competing with White for a key forward spot, unless we decide to play only one of Grundy or Witts. In that case, Gault could become our 3rd marking forward (and relieving ruckman) alongside Cloke and White. I'm starting to warm to this idea. Let's see how the big boys perform in the coming practice games.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Think this year Gault and White will compete for the same spot and role.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Is this thread serious? Honestly, how many typical ruckmen can even spell "conundrum"?
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:06 pm

watt price tully wrote:
BHPIE wrote:

What would "Dermie & Brownie on Fox" know? stui on Nick's has been on him since day dot. Smile

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:08 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
BHPIE wrote:

What would "Dermie & Brownie on Fox" know? stui on Nick's has been on him since day dot. Smile

Thank you sir for pointing out the bleeding obvious. Cool Wink

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 pm

You're welcome, guru stu. Cool
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:45 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
BHPIE wrote:

What's Luke Ball's daughter got to do with it?

He showed glimpses in the few VFL matches I saw & I've been an admirer since.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
Is this thread serious? Honestly, how many typical ruckmen can even spell "conundrum"?

Only David Loats was close with "tinofdrum" when he was asked about what rollie tobacco he uses!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: