Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What can we do about FoxFooty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Being constantly zoomed in to the ball is like watching through blinders that limit you to tunnel vision. Don't like it.

Exactly what I said. (Except 200 words shorter.)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Skids wrote:
I never noticed, it really was just a blur of black & white kicking lotsa goals.

Drink less.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:13 am

720p on ESPN here in the UK, looked pretty good to me. And just so you know how much of a ripoff FOXTEL is - I get 200 channels, ESPN, 152mb unlimited fibre and the landline for 50 quid a month. Most pie games are on ESPN, and the ones that aren't I'll watch on my Hawthorn mates login of AFL live (in admittedly dismal picture quality)
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:01 am

Woods wrote:
Woods wrote:
Didn't see the live broadcast but watched the highlights package on the CFC website.

With fewer and smaller stands at the Launceston oval there's possibly limited elevation available for the camera shots that we're used to seeing in the home & away games broadcast from the big mainland grounds.

FOX may have relied on local Tassie camera people and there might be few who are used to covering live AFL (it is a top flight skill both for cameramen and directors to capture the pictures as fluidly as we have all become used to - they are a rarely acknowledged talent behind the scenes).

FOX may also have cut back on gear and personnel given it was perceived as a small viewing audience. Eg. in the past I've seen rent-a-crane type cherry-pickers situated outside the ground used as a camera locations.

I'm reposting my previous response to the OP because it is apparent that he and many others do not know how television is made. My first post assumed they did, but I now know they don't.

To explain it more simply - its is not the same camera that takes the wide shot at the opening bounce that also takes the tight close up shot of the same scene. They are two (or three) separate cameras.

Its not like your pocket video camera where you zoom in and out on a scene using the one camera. THat's why your home movies look shit and professional TV looks polished. The vision of a footy match that we viewers see on TV are fluid cuts between different cameras taking different shots of the same scene. All co-ordinated by the director who calls to switch from camera to camera as play unfolds. With AFL footy it is probably the most skilled job in TV production.

Evidently there were insufficient cameras in operation at the Tassie game to provide the fluid cuts between long and tight shots.

By all means criticise Foxtel for not putting more cameras on duty. But as I said earlier there may be good reasons for the limited number in operation on the day - like insufficient suitable camera locations due to lack of highpoints at the ground. I offered the idea that cherry pickers could be used (at extra cost for Foxtel) but after watching the replay I'm now aware that the windy conditions might have made for shaky vision or even unsafe conditions for the crew.

So I think all the slagging off against cameramen and directors is unfounded and these people deserve an apology from the ignorant twats who have criticised them. They were doing the best they could with what they had.

Just for the record, footy telecasts, the role of the director, the switching, number of cameras at games and so on has been a bit of a hobby of mine for a couple of decades now. In fact, I was first 'turned on' to footy broadcasting during the 60's. In those days 3 channels broadcast replays. We had channel 7 lead by the famous footy director Alf Potter, Channel 9 and the ABC. Seven's coverage murdered the opposition at that time due to the inovative 'switching technique' employed by Potter. I won't bore the rest of Nick's BB unnecessarily here, but the trick was to switch moments before the mark took place for example. Nowadays the switch happens a second or two too late on most occasions.

My point about last week's vision has been misunderstood in this instance. I'm not just complaining about the Tassie experience; it's been happening for years. Fox is by far the worst offender.

But perhaps I'll take another tack to convince the doubters; if the present vision is so good, why does every commentator use binoculars to call the game? Easy to answer that question isn't it? When they try to call the game from the monitors, they can't see what's going on once the ball goes beyond the centre. That's a fact.

BTW Tannin, as I said in my initial post, I moved from the couch and sat in front of the screen. Yes, I do wear glasses for reading and the like, but I shouldn't have to guess who has the ball. Half the in close stuff was lost on me last week and I had to go back and watch again later in slow mo to figure out who was doing the nice in close work.

If I want to know what the tactics are, I can wait until they are pointed out graphically at the breaks by the experts. When the game's on, I want to see it up close big and bold.

By the way, I take it that nobody disagrees that the full score should be displayed at the end of each quarter. Can we at least agree on that hopeless aspect of Fox's telecast?

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:18 pm

BTW Tannin, your posts have gone to shit since you started using that new avatar.
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Being at the game you get to see things unfold on the field that you just don't see with tight close up camera shots.

My ideal would be that they pan back on the camera a bit when the ball is in motion and zoom in when it's not. That way you get the best of both.

Being constantly zoomed in to the ball is like watching through blinders that limit you to tunnel vision. Don't like it.

SNAP!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Oh I see. You got that right.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:08 pm

OK! Channel 7 just showed what good camera work is all about. When the ball was on the outer wing tonight we didn't miss any of the action. A wide angle that took in maybe 100 metres, switching to a closer view. That's how it should be done. I don't know many of the players from these teams, but I saw every effort by each one of them. That's what I've been talking about. I just hope that the Fox director of footy was watching and that he ditches that ridiculous half ground shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: