Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ronrat wrote:
Whilst there is indignation about colonial theft and grave robbing it has an upside.

The Assyrian treasures trashed by IS IS in Iran this week are irreplaceable
The Buddha statues destroyed by the Taliban was the work of Barbarians.
Today in Thailand there is outrage at the disrespect and vandalism displayed by Chinese tourists towards Thai sacred sites. Breaking off bits of statue and even one twit was caught pissing into a gold pot used for ceremonies.

When I was in Siem Reap a few years back looking at the Angkor Wat and other temples I saw a lot of areas blocked off while western archeologists , mainly from Europe, where painstakingly worked at cleaning and uncovering monuments. Funded by UNESCO and the western governments.

At least where they are now they will be looked after, guarded and enjoyed for generations.

The only problem with the Angkor Wat area is that the lease has been sold by the Vietnamese cronies to a South Korean company who reinvest nothing. The only benefit the locals get from the park fees, which is substantial is the gst component that goes to the government. The people who controlled the country under Pol Pot are basically the same people installed by the Vietnamese. The government officials who control Siam Reap sold the old jail to a developer and pocketed the proceeds. From what I can see once you get into the jungle area that the locals live very humble lives whilst the local police chiefs and the local controlling army officials live in luxury, drive new Lexus vehicles and exploit the local population. Mostly gentle Buddhist people in challenging conditions.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:03 am

^ nice that we agree on some things! 😉 Munich is also a delight, if you have time to get there. Another city of sorrows redeemed.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:16 pm

I had a great weekend in Melbourne, marked one month with Megan with her in Melbourne met her footy family they're very nice met her brother and mother as well. Got home today, I met mums cousin, which I'm told is my second cousin.

I got all my grades from the pre-course stuff and I am one grade away from passing.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
ronrat wrote:
Whilst there is indignation about colonial theft and grave robbing it has an upside.

Today in Thailand there is outrage at the disrespect and vandalism displayed by Chinese tourists towards Thai sacred sites. Breaking off bits of statue and even one twit was caught pissing into a gold pot used for ceremonies.

The only problem with the Angkor Wat area is that the lease has been sold by the Vietnamese cronies to a South Korean company who reinvest nothing. The only benefit the locals get from the park fees, which is substantial is the gst component that goes to the government. The people who controlled the country under Pol Pot are basically the same people installed by the Vietnamese. The government officials who control Siam Reap sold the old jail to a developer and pocketed the proceeds. From what I can see once you get into the jungle area that the locals live very humble lives whilst the local police chiefs and the local controlling army officials live in luxury, drive new Lexus vehicles and exploit the local population. Mostly gentle Buddhist people in challenging conditions.

I was in Phnom Pehn in December and I was astounded at the progress made in a few short years. The Cambodians are bouncing back. There are plently of Cambodians making a living with hotels, cafes and bars souvenirs and guides etc that are around the area. Half the lexuses are driven by NGO personel who are tslking up the problems while doing nothing about it. The exception is Geraldine, the Australian woman who runs the Sunrise Villages. An extraordinary woman who i consider one of the greatest Australians I have met and I have met the likes of Weary Dunlop. But as a rule the Cambodians are lovely people and I weep for the tragedy of Pol Pot. My ex boss was in charge of the mine clearance training team in Cambodia years ago and told me of the bullshit the NGO stories put out to garner more funding whilst increasing their own salaries so they could employ another maid or nanny so the wife could go on shopping trips to Bangkok or Singapore.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:58 am

Daughter no 1 getting promotion now statewide training manager for her retail company, still a store manager & has turned an under performing store to an increase of 40% in the last 12 months with an increase in pay of close to 10%. (still crap pay but the company value her it seems - they're the ones who are providing onsite education for her to firm up her skill set)

Daughter no 2, successfully applying for an internship to complete a degree (went for two interviews, got offered both positions so chose the one she preferred) then last week without any forewarning got offered through the Uni a prestigious internship in a stream she hadn't applied for. (someone pulled out) She had 4 hours to make a decision & took it up!

Made me proud to see their hard work paying off.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:26 am

ronrat wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
ronrat wrote:

I was in Phnom Pehn in December and I was astounded at the progress made in a few short years. The Cambodians are bouncing back. There are plently of Cambodians making a living with hotels, cafes and bars souvenirs and guides etc that are around the area. Half the lexuses are driven by NGO personel who are tslking up the problems while doing nothing about it. The exception is Geraldine, the Australian woman who runs the Sunrise Villages. An extraordinary woman who i consider one of the greatest Australians I have met and I have met the likes of Weary Dunlop. But as a rule the Cambodians are lovely people and I weep for the tragedy of Pol Pot. My ex boss was in charge of the mine clearance training team in Cambodia years ago and told me of the bullshit the NGO stories put out to garner more funding whilst increasing their own salaries so they could employ another maid or nanny so the wife could go on shopping trips to Bangkok or Singapore.

And Gina putting her money in to schools hips for girls.

Seriously though, I still remeber old footage of what these poor people went though, so fantastic, such an inspiration, that the country can recover.

Be interested to read about Geraldine, do you have any links about her work?

Cheers

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:05 pm

I got promoted to a pro writer at Fans Unite, I can now get a chance of earning money for my work. I also got good grades on my work for the first part of the course.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:10 pm

The Prototype wrote:
I got promoted to a pro writer at Fans Unite, I can now get a chance of earning money for my work. I also got good grades on my work for the first part of the course.

Congrats Proto.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:10 pm

The Prototype wrote:

Hey that's excellant, well done, you'll have to send some links xxx

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:47 pm

think positive wrote:

Seriously though, I still remeber old footage of what these poor people went though, so fantastic, such an inspiration, that the country can recover.

Cheers

http://www.sunrisechildrensvillage.org/

Geraldine Cox AM gave up a high ranking position at Macquarie Bank to do this. She is also a breast cancer survivor. She was only the second person ever given honorary Cambodian citizenship. The Sunrise Villages are so different to the other orphanages. They live with foster parents in a village set up. You have to leave your passport at the gate if you are a visitor and you are not to touch or speak to the kids unless given permission. They have a farm with cattle, chickens etc and a dam for fish. Many of the children are not orphans but the families simply have no money to feed them. When I spoke to her a few years ago when I was donating a school bag full of pencils and pads etc (thanks to a QANTAS hostie) she said her aim was to make the villages (there are 3) employers of choice in the areas. Hospitality workers in Sihanoukville,t tourist guides in Siem Reap and Embassy staff in Phnom Pehn.

Rotary in Adelaide do a lot of stuff with them. They built an awesome playground in Adelaide and flatpacked it on a Navy ship and 2 blokes flew over and reassembled it.

Many of the orphanages are fake. They round up street kids and have them lie on dirty blankets and gullible, mostly American, people give them cash donations. The luckier kids end up in Sunrise.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:51 pm

Good on ya Proto!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:40 pm

ronrat wrote:
think positive wrote:

Cheers

http://www.sunrisechildrensvillage.org/

Geraldine Cox AM gave up a high ranking position at Macquarie Bank to do this. She is also a breast cancer survivor. She was only the second person ever given honorary Cambodian citizenship. The Sunrise Villages are so different to the other orphanages. They live with foster parents in a village set up. You have to leave your passport at the gate if you are a visitor and you are not to touch or speak to the kids unless given permission. They have a farm with cattle, chickens etc and a dam for fish. Many of the children are not orphans but the families simply have no money to feed them. When I spoke to her a few years ago when I was donating a school bag full of pencils and pads etc (thanks to a QANTAS hostie) she said her aim was to make the villages (there are 3) employers of choice in the areas. Hospitality workers in Sihanoukville,t tourist guides in Siem Reap and Embassy staff in Phnom Pehn.

Rotary in Adelaide do a lot of stuff with them. They built an awesome playground in Adelaide and flatpacked it on a Navy ship and 2 blokes flew over and reassembled it.

Many of the orphanages are fake. They round up street kids and have them lie on dirty blankets and gullible, mostly American, people give them cash donations. The luckier kids end up in Sunrise.

Thanks Ronrat, fantastic, had a quick look at the site, and will have a better one tonight, so good to read about good deeds and nice outcomes for a change, cheers

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Thanks guys, here's a link to some of my work so far on Fans Unite http://www.nogreyarea.com.au/user/profile/DaveHarding I write for the Collingwood part mostly.

I got a meeting with Tasmanian Championship Wrestling lined up as well.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:48 pm

ttp://www.sunrisechildrensvillage.org/
Thanks Ronrat, fantastic, had a quick look at the site, and will have a better one tonight, so good to read about good deeds and nice outcomes for a change, cheers[/quote

I spoke to an office girl there, Khmer lass, when I handed over the bag of goodies and made a donation. She told me that none of the kids had any idea of when their birthdays were. So they made them up. And spaced them out avoided Buddha days, NYE etc. I had some toys in the bag and she said they will hang onto them and give them to kids as birthday gifts. The bag would go to the next school aged kid they received.

I asked a Qantas hostie on a domestic flight if I could have a kids pack of colouring book etc as I was collecting them to take to Cambodia for orphans. I had the backpack with me because Mum gave it to me that day and I hadn't packed it. She grabbed the bag walked off and came back with it 2-3rds full (all they had) and gave me a free beer for being a nice bloke.

There is a orphanage a few kms from me here in Thailand set up by a priest years ago. I was given some soccer balls a few years ago in Australia by a coca cola rep. I bought them here , got someone to pump them up for me and wandered off to donate them. I then realised I had left my passport in the hotel so rather than give them to a security guard who may have kept them I booted them over the fence where about 100 kids were playing soccer with one ball. Suddenly there were 4 balls in play and the kids were shrieking. A Nun saw what I had done and gave me a Thai wai and a thumbs up.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:55 pm

All right Stui, the game's up. It's time to stop bragging about how big your feet are. Wink

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/03/the-results-are-in-study-reveals-average-penis-size?CMP=soc_567

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 567 of 866   

Jump to: