Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David can I suggest to you that sometimes a pile of shit is just a pile of shit.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:58 pm

On the other hand, many people have gone out for a few drinks and come home without their wallet, keys, phone, dignity.....

Not many have had this happen

Quote:
A MARRIED television presenter claims he took a blonde stranger to a Russian sauna — and woke up without his testicles.

That's right, no testicles. Shocked

Mind you, being a married bloke and going off with a bimbo, his nuts were in serious danger from all directions.

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/what-happened-when-a-married-tv-presenter-took-a-hot-blonde-to-a-russian-sauna/story-fnh81p7g-1227240800554?from=public_rss

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 pm

I was hoping someone else would post this, but I'll do the honours:

http://m.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/dressgate-the-white-and-gold-dress-making-our-mind-work-until-its-black-and-blue-20150227-13qqrc.html

Definitely looks white and gold to me. I can see how you could see the white as a shade of light blue, but how you get black out of gold I have no idea.

I also wonder, do people see that shade of gold as black (or vice versa) all the time? Or is it only the very specific combination of contrasting colour and lighting?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 pm

David wrote:

http://m.smh.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/dressgate-the-white-and-gold-dress-making-our-mind-work-until-its-black-and-blue-20150227-13qqrc.html

Definitely looks white and gold to me. I can see how you could see the white as a shade of light blue, but how you get black out of gold I have no idea.

I also wonder, do people see that shade of gold as black (or vice versa) all the time? Or is it only the very specific combination of contrasting colour and lighting?

It's all a trick of contrast. I see the photo as light blue and gold, but if I squint my eyes, particularly at the lower half of the photo, I can make it go Blue and Black.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 pm

the dress is black and blue! it has been confirmed. people are getting other colours because of the light and gold above the neck line
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:59 pm

David wrote:

Sigh.

How farnarkling ignorant are these people? All that that endless yammer-yammer demonstrates is that none of them have the remotest idea about colour or light or photographs.

Read up on the basics if you wish. Start here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

It's all a trick of contrast. I see the photo as light blue and gold, but if I squint my eyes, particularly at the lower half of the photo, I can make it go Blue and Black.

Interestingly, if you squint enough, everything looks black. Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:08 am

The latest controversial TV show to be censored in Australia: Peppa Pig!

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/entertaining-kids/tv-and-movies/peppa-pig-episode-banned-in-australia-for-sending-the-wrong-message-about-spiders-20150217-13h04u.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:21 am

Well that may seem crazy, but I also remember my daughter as a 2 year old bringing me a white tail spider in her bare hands, luckily the thing was dead. She was once bitten by some kind of spider in the sand pit, and her ankle blew up massively, she was on fernergan to combat the allergic reaction. We have some bloody scary lethal spider in Australia, so I get where this comes from!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:53 am

Does this mean that "Cars" will be banned (I mean, other than for artistic reasons)?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:18 pm

You have valid points TP without question and trust me I hate spiders but what would be argued against such censorship is that parents have to take personal responsibility in educating their children about the dangers of many things with spiders being no different here rather than having governments and pressure groups telling us otherwise and controlling what all children can and cannot watch on television.

For example, if I was a parent and I felt concerned by this show then possibly I wouldn't allow my children to watch the cartoon if I felt it was in there best interests but I wouldn't advocate the complete censorship for everyone else who may hold different views to myself. I just think we're becoming too melodramatic about these types of things.

David wrote:

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/entertaining-kids/tv-and-movies/peppa-pig-episode-banned-in-australia-for-sending-the-wrong-message-about-spiders-20150217-13h04u.html

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Jezza wrote:
You have valid points TP without question and trust me I hate spiders but what would be argued against such censorship is that parents have to take personal responsibility in educating their children about the dangers of many things with spiders being no different here rather than having governments and pressure groups telling us otherwise and controlling what all children can and cannot watch on television.

For example, if I was a parent and I felt concerned by this show then possibly I wouldn't allow my children to watch the cartoon if I felt it was in there best interests but I wouldn't advocate the complete censorship for everyone else who may hold different views to myself. I just think we're becoming too melodramatic about these types of things.

David wrote:

Fair enough. And the age it's aimed at, not sure they would associate that figure with a real spider anyway!

Cheers

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:43 am

Where's that smart arse with his picture of a 7 legged spider when you need him?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:58 am

stui magpie wrote:
Where's that smart arse with his picture of a 7 legged spider when you need him?

Ugh god Stui no more of your spider pics please! Ewwwwww

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:32 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/04/isis-terror-joke-egyptian-wedding-fake-kidnap

Quote:
Egyptian groom springs Isis kidnap prank on bride

Video of wedding reception – including knives and a cage – angers some Egyptians, but new wife says it shows defiance towards jihadis

The threat that Islamic State (Isis) poses to Egypt has become ever more apparent in recent weeks. Isis’s murder of 21 Egyptian Christians in Libya last month, as well as the killing of at least 30 soldiers by an Isis-affiliate in Egypt’s north Sinai desert, made the group’s once-distant terror seem much closer to home.

But while fear is a common response for many, one Egyptian wanted to laugh in the face of adversity. And he decided his own wedding was the best forum in which to do so.

In an attempt to surprise his bride and their guests, Ahmed Shehata, a 25-year-old medical graduate, arranged for relatives to dress up as Isis militants and pretend to kidnap his new wife at their wedding this week.

To the soundtrack of the notorious Isis anthem, masked men entered the wedding of Shaimaa Deif, a 23-year-old medical graduate, and strong-armed her and Shehata into a cage reminiscent of the one in which a Jordanian pilot was burned alive last month.

“I knew there would be a surprise,” she later told the Guardian, after a video of the bizarre incident went viral on Egyptian social media. “But I never imagined that the surprise would be like that.”

Deif’s momentary panic soon subsided into amusement after the music merged into a dance-track, one of the masked men revealed himself to be her brother, and it turned out the groom had been in on the stunt all along.

Deif admitted that she had not expected the dark cloth she gave her fiance in the run-up to the wedding to be used to make fake Isis masks: “I thought it was for something romantic,” she said.

But she gamely argued that the prank sent a strong message to Isis. “The cage you’re scaring us with, we are dancing inside it,” said Deif, addressing the transnational jihadi movement.

Some Egyptians have reacted angrily to the prank, arguing that it was in poor taste given the recent massacre of 21 Egyptians in Libya, and murder of several more on Egyptian soil by unknown perpetrators this week. But Deif argued: “We aren’t making light of other people’s blood. We’re showing that we’re not scared, and that Egyptians meet any crisis with laughter and comedy.”

Deif’s father, Mohamed, a nose and mouth doctor, was momentarily less amused – rushing across the wedding hall to save his daughter in the belief that Isis members really were about to kidnap her. But the groom said that once his new father-in-law realised it was all a joke, he relaxed. “He was happy because it was such a new idea,” said Shehata.

Weddings in Egypt are sometimes formulaic, Shehata added. So when planning his own a fortnight ago, he wanted to do something that would surprise his bride, and took inspiration from the recent Isis murders in Libya. He did wonder whether the prank came too soon to be tasteful. But he concluded that it was best to strike while the iron was hot. “I couldn’t do it after everyone had forgotten it. We did consider people who knew the victims in it. But we had to deliver this message now.”

By dressing up as pretend Isis fighters, his friends had given Isis a loud and clear message: “Whatever happens because of this [massacre], you are not going to scare us,” Shehata said. “We will scare you, because our enjoyment, our happiness and our weddings will continue whatever you do.”

Shehata’s antics are among several attempts by Egyptians to use humour to undermine Isis’s image. Others have uploaded Isis’s anthem to YouTube, and overlaid it with incongruous footage, including that of old movie footage, belly-dancers, singing schoolchildren, and a gyrating news presenter.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 110 of 277   

Jump to: