Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Cloke and Brown

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupied wrote:
That was the entire point of why I said it mate. The age of any of us is irrelevant in this discussion, and it always annoys me when someone starts off a post with something like "I've been supporting the pies for 58 years!" as if it adds some sort of credence to their opinion.

Age doesn't make one foolish. Saying foolish things makes one foolish. Getting rid of a top 5 key forward and a very dependable stopper who are both leaders at the club (both are in the leadership group ffs), is in my opinion, incredibly foolish.

I can see both sides of the tale Stupied, Cloke is hard working and loyal, a sensational mark but he certainly isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and his kicking for goal - for a key position forward - is atrocious.

The big trouble with Cloke is not so much his abilities as his head space, like others I liked the '09 - '11 Cloke who roamed the front half dragging a KPD with him and opening up the forward line. Having him stay at home with a constant mantle of over eager defenders allowed to monster him without penalty is death to a winning scoreline.

I don't blame Cloke so much as the gameplan that is just plain suicide. That being said doesn't change the quandry, if Cloke stays at home he requires half the forward line cleared to lead into and this just makes it simple for the unrestrained defenders to run off him.

The game against the Hawks was just an illustration of this point, remember back a few years when Cloke was out injured for the better part of one year and remember our spread of goal kickers- it didn't affect our scoring and in fact aided us against the tougher teams because you couldn't stop the goals by jumping all over Cloke.

As for Brown he WAS a top back man before his hideous run of injuries, the question is now can he regain that lost ground?

What do we do if at the end of the year he is still lagging?

I'm not one for changing horses in mid stream but I can see the point of questioning our current position.

If Cloke can't be got on his bike and allowed a forward half roaming commision our forward line will continue to be disfunctional and Brown needs quite a few consecutive games to regain confidence in those shoulders - if he doesn't I fear he is done.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:34 pm

The logical solution then would be to place Cloke back at CHF where he's the most damaging, not trade him away and have no quality power forward in the team.

I loved the spread of goal kickers on Thursday, but we were running against a depleted defence, and if we learned anything from last year, we can't rely on the likes of White to fill the void on a consistent basis.

As for Brown, people go from one extreme to the other. He's a gun, he's a spud. The truth is, while he's not the best defender in the league, he's solid, consistent, and when fit he wins his battle on game day more often than not.
Given the inexperience in our backline already, getting rid of another experienced, consistent senior player down there would be madness.
Watch the game on Thursday again. He was beaten early, but as the game wore on and he gained confidence in his shoulder he got better. There's no reason he can't get back to his previous form.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:35 pm

The OP's comments about Brown aren't without merit but the Cloke analysis is way off. Cloke is the go to man more often than not because we don't have another big marking target. Hopefully a fit Ben Reid can be that man. Like all big leading forwards he demands space which is perfectly understandable but what we lack is crumbers who can capitalise on the ones he doesn't take and convert into goals. Blair can't do it. Fasolo couldn't last year cos when fit he was in the Backline. Let's hope that 'education' is now complete and he returns permanently to the forward line wher he can do some damage on the scoreboard. Pat Karnezis looks promising and I'm prepared to give Jesse White one more season to show he can be an effective forward. Throw in Jamie Elliot who is a gun and Our forward potency should improve from last year but the proof will be in the pudding.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Cloke play on a wing.

Seriously: he's got a fantastic tank for a big bloke, he can cover the ground, and out there in space he's be a very, very hard player to match up on. Yep, if you put a small on him that player could run off him when the ball is going forward, but it only takes one turnover and you have the big bloke with the golden mitts marking anything that comes his way, and roosting it 60 metres forward deep into our 50, where you play the likes of Elliott, Fasolo, Gault, and Broomhead - all players who can kick for goal and score more often than not.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 pm

I understand. I haven't heard anything like that before. And then what happened?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Tannin wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Cloke play on a wing.

Seriously: he's got a fantastic tank for a big bloke, he can cover the ground, and out there in space he's be a very, very hard player to match up on. Yep, if you put a small on him that player could run off him when the ball is going forward, but it only takes one turnover and you have the big bloke with the golden mitts marking anything that comes his way, and roosting it 60 metres forward deep into our 50, where you play the likes of Elliott, Fasolo, Gault, and Broomhead - all players who can kick for goal and score more often than not.

Good idea. He can aim for the centre square, and he will hit em in the chest, laces out!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Or possibly hit 'em in the laces, chest out
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:31 am

Clokes best is still certainly good enough, he was not at his best last year for reasons unknown, (injury?)
It is not that he is not a big game player he has played well against top opposition and in finals.

The problem is his kicking consistency and the fact that when he does have an off day it drops way off -well below acceptable.
Obviously still best 22 yet this is a telling year.

What he really needs is a chop out, something he did not get at all from White last year and has not really had since Leigh Browne.

A better White and improving Gault or even a fit PK could do wonders for Cloke's game this year.

Brown, has been very unlucky with knee and then shoulder injuries, his 2010 GF replay cannot ever be undervalued, he slaughtered one of the best in the business on the biggest day of the year.
Must be given this season to at least to see if he can get back near his best footy. Plus, we have lost an awful lot of experience from our backline in the past couple of seasons, he is an elder statesman of the backline now and until players like Langdon, Frost, Scharenberg, et al mature he is needed.

Last year we lost Heater, Maxy retired, Hertier was up on a wing, then left us this year, Reid perpetually injured, Toovey out most of the year, Brown out most of the year. That is devastating to anyone's finals chances and I wouldn't be cleaning out anymore experience just yet, especially before we see if Reid can continue his career or not.

Last edited by rand corp on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Macedonian Marvel #35 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:11 am

Brown is still only 26 remember. That's still a fairly good age bracket to be sitting in, and he's just completed his first preseason in 5 years. That will pay off majorly once he clears off the cob webs of the last handful of seasons. I think by seasons end he will be a lock choice for our full back spot again....well I'm hoping so
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 am

So sem started supporting the Pies after won the 53 flag… seems like he jumped on the bandwagon!

Re the comments… Both Brown and Cloke were a big part of our flag and our strong performance for most of 2011 - so they can play top footy.

I think putting Brown in the leadership group was a good move - he needs to have a stellar year on the field because young Frost is set to take his spot as the FB. The reality of footy however is that you need extras - some of our big guys will get injured… and having Frost, Brown, Keefe and possibly Reid as back talls is needed to cover the inevitable injuries.

Brown is not very flexible and has limitations as a player but can certainly play a role for the Pies and do it well… and right now he needs/deserves some support after a long lay-off due to injuries - hopefully our supporters can do just that!

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 am

Tannin wrote:
Or possibly hit 'em in the laces, chest out

Laughing Laughing
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:29 am

Have to agree. Cloke's kicking is a killer. Brown shows plenty and delivers little. In saying that, unless you have better replacements there's no point booting them.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 am

Shorty answer... Pass!
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:47 am

E wrote:
i think you need to be careful not to base long term judgments on their last campaign where they were both injured and incapacitated.

Brown went ok in 2010-2012 when injury free. Pretty much a shut down full back in the presti mould. He did ok on the big stage TWICE against Nick Reiwoldt (who might then have been the best in the business). He was very rusty against the Hawks this week. there is no replicated game time. He also needs to restore his own belief in his shoulder.

Re Cloke, his mobility was destroyed last year by injury. I agree that his lack of mobility last year hurt us as much as it helped us, especially if he is a lone wolf. Recall that in 2010 and 2011, we had no problem sharing the goals around, and Cloke did ok during those periods. It is not uncommon for a big CHF like him to start breaking down at 28 so it may be that the 2014 Cloke is all we are going to get. if that is the case, then I think you have a strong argument that he is way overvalued financially. If he can overcome his ailments of 2014, I think he will be unstoppable in a well functioning forwardline, when he only has one man to beat. He will also be able to create space for Karnezis and Elliot and Faz if he can move one or 2 defenders to his part of the ground and they work the other parts (like the Hawks do with Breust and Gunston).

so I see your thoughts here, but wonder if they aren't too based on most recent form which for the reasons stated above, might not be the best games to judge them on (but if they dont recover from these injuries, they may be).

Couldnt agree more

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 am

Seems like the consensus is give Cloke a roving commission up the ground and hope for the best with Brown returning to pre injury like form.

Can't say I disagree, it's just a pity the big bloke never developed a reliable kick for goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: