Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
1061 wrote:
David wrote:
Am I wrong?

YES

I for one would expect a quick humane death if there is such a thing. I would not support these lowlifes being dragged kicking and screaming to their death.

So a quick stroke with the sword is "being dragged kicking and screaming" while having a rope tied in a knot around your neck and being dangled from the end of it, or being blindfolded and lined up before a firing squad, or being held down while cocktails of often dubiously lethal chemicals injected into your arm or being strapped into a death chair to have 10,000 volts zapped through your body are perfectly humane and decent punishments? Yer right.

Your point on legal procedure, however, is well made.

In my profession we have a thing called active listening which is about listening with our ears wide open and not putting our bias on what we hear. Here in your post I think we see what happens when one reads with ones eyes not fully open.

Quote:
humane death if there is such a thing
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:23 am

So regard me as slow on the uptake, 1061. Slowly, speaking for the hard of hearing and none-too-bright, what exactly is less (or more) humane about beheading as opposed to the electric chair, the firing squad, the guillotine, the gas chamber, hanging, or lethal injection? Which of these (if any) is exempt from dragging, kicking, and screaming?

Or, if your point is something other than what you wrote, perhaps you would be kind enough to state it in so many words rather than expecting us to make a lucky guess.

PS: I freely grant the pot - kettle - black retort - I am doubtless notorious here for my habit of expecting the reader to assume background points which perhaps seem obvious only to me, and jumping straight to the apex of an issue without troubling to write the foundations first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:13 am

Tannin if you didn't get my small worded reply I doubt any further reply would sink in.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:44 am

Duh ... but your "small words" and your other words completely contradict each other. Don't worry about explaining what bizarre thing you actually meant to say in the first place; if you are just going to post random contradictions of yourself, I've lost interest.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Mugwump wrote:
You know, I don't think anyone or any group is really in control ; "the system" is way too big, fluid and complex for any group of individuals (or even institutions) to sustainably pervert. Your bugbear is natural resources, and national interests have led various governments to play a smelly military role in oil, I grant that - though the transnational oilcos are minnows compared to state owned companies. The only big transcos that I think are pretty demonstrably amoral and out-of-control in private hands are banks.

I can agree with the need to focus on systems rather than individuals. And I've never met a CEO I thought was a "bad person" face-to-face, and I've probably coached 20 or 30 at close quarters, and a lot more senior executives than that.

But someone is poisoning the delta, paying off crooked officials to win contracts unfavourable to locals, funding climate denial, selling arms to crooked thugs, stripping rain forests, engaging in corrupt predatory pricing, having peasants forcibly removed from their land, perverting health laws to market cigarettes to children and teenagers, spreading health misinformation to lure uneducated people into buying dangerous products, hiding evidence of workplace death and injury, and running misinformation campaigns to deny people a minimum wage. You may not have met some of those folk, but I can report from the trenches that even they seem fine enough at a personal level.

What you're not accounting for are the layers of denial that people are acculturated into in the corporate context. If you surround yourself with those who say you're doing the right thing, and all you hear as a person atop a hierarchy is that you're doing the right thing, or you get consultants in who say their only obligation is to you the client and are willing to do whatever you need on your behalf, and much of the time you are in fact doing the right thing, and you're frequently operating remote from where the wrong thing is being done with layers of others in between, when the pressure hits you can pretty much convince yourself of anything. (And those layers, of course, are no doubt the main reason why investment banks can be so destructive; so many layers, so many excuses).

The stuff I have been privy to would make a lot of people's hair curl. But I would much rather be there to help people embrace better solutions than on the sidelines claiming everyone is evil. Hanging the odd scapegoat is not progress because, as you say, many of these guys are just scrapping to survive in the midst of semi-organised chaos.

As I heard George Soros say once in an interview, in business you have to compete right up to the very edge of the law because that's what everyone else is doing. But the real test is whether you're someone who blocks reform or supports it when it's needed. The bastards who do that are the ones I have no time for.

So, despite some wayward vocabulary harking back to the old Marxian days, that's pretty much what I've concluded. You can't deal with destructive business behaviour unless you deal with the whole competitive frontier at the same time. If you stop Google using outrageous tax loopholes via Ireland and Lichtenstein, or wherever, you have to stop everyone else doing the same. If Vietnamese or Peruvian companies are going to do it, you have to do it too.

The onus is on outside folk to correct the competitive frontier, and for business leaders to be on the lookout for opportunities to form coalitions to correct that frontier, rather than stymieing reform.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:21 pm

pietillidie wrote:
someone is poisoning the delta, paying off crooked officials to win contracts unfavourable to locals, funding climate denial, selling arms to crooked thugs, stripping rain forests, engaging in corrupt predatory pricing, having peasants forcibly removed from their land, perverting health laws to market cigarettes to children and teenagers, spreading health misinformation to lure uneducated people into buying dangerous products, hiding evidence of workplace death and injury, and running misinformation campaigns to deny people a minimum wage.

Strewth! Not a very nice bloke then. Should we look forward to seeing this lowlife someone being dragged kicking and screaming to his death?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:51 am

^And it's still only Q1!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Things are looking up

Quote:
IN TOWNS, desert camps and cyber space, Islamic State will be wiped-out, a core coalition of nations vowed yesterday as they revealed half the terror group’s top command have been killed.

And Australia’s assault on terrorism both at home and abroad was singled out by US Secretary John Kerry as an example to other nations of the commitment to the now global fight against the jihadi group and its sympathisers.

Mr Kerry was joined by Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi and officials from 20 “core” countries including Australia for a closed-door high security meeting at Lancaster House in central London.

The American said the fight was being won, but the meeting of core Coalition nations aimed at refining the coordination of the assault on the terror group.

He then gave a detailed snapshot of the “multiple lines” of attack on ISIS including revealing that 50 per cent of its commanders had been killed along with thousands of their fighters both on the ground and through nearly 2000 precision air strikes by the coalition including American and Australian fighters.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/us-officials-thank-australia-for-helping-kill-6000-islamic-state-fighters-including-half-its-commanders/story-fnpp4dj5-1227195029812

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Always nice when the deputy sheriff gets a pat on the head. Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Has ISIS just made a serious mistake? They took 2 Japanese hostages and, after initially asking for a ransom it appears they may have executed one of them.

Japan hasn't had a dog in this fight up til now, it's just been a Gaijin issue.

Now, ISIS has made them involved. That may not have been a very smart thing to do. Shocked

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:42 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Has ISIS just made a serious mistake? They took 2 Japanese hostages and, after initially asking for a ransom it appears they may have executed one of them.

Japan hasn't had a dog in this fight up til now, it's just been a Gaijin issue.

Now, ISIS has made them involved. That may not have been a very smart thing to do. Shocked

Exactly what I said to hubby

GOOD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Have they killed a German yet?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:41 pm

1061 wrote:

That's one bear we really, really need to leave asleep.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Wokko wrote:
1061 wrote:

That's one bear we really, really need to leave asleep.

nah, the bear would be Russia.

The Honey Badger that is Japan has now been prodded. Pass the popcorn.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:21 pm

I think Japan has been part of the anti-IS coalition providing material support for some time now - which is part of the reason these two young Japanese men are in the predicament they are. As for it being a honey badger, I think it's a pretty tame one with limited military teeth. I suspect IS will be neutralised by the US military and its intelligence, and local interested players - from Iran to Saudi Arabia to the Iraqi Shia - helped by their own corrupt and useless administration of towns like Mosul. Nobody likes them, apart from disaffected Sunnis in Iraq and Syria, and their main talent - general brutality aside - seems to be for making enemies.

It was an interesting comment above that half of IS's military leadership has been killed. It would help explain their apparent loss of momentum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 48 of 128   

Jump to: