Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Royal Commission into Domestic Violence

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

partypie wrote:
Domestic violence affects us all. Has anyone ever tried to cost it? Thankfully it wasn't an issue in my immediate family.

I see a family of three brothers struggling with the trauma of having watched their mum get belted by their father, and the subsequent low self esteem and substance abuse.

I am going to move house because of a threatening neighbour. Checking up, I hear that his grandfather and his father were violent towards their children and he has a bad reputation regarding women. Hopefully I find another place to live soon.

One of my daughters young friends has been stalked by an ex boyfriend who is also having substance issues. The police have been helpful.

I can imagine a huge amount of health and welfare expenses are the result of domestic violence and new ways to deal with it are needed.

Top post.

And your 100% right, it does effect us all. It's the hidden cancer. just because you don't know its there, doesn't mean it isn't. That's why it's so successful, the purportrators are so good at hiding it, hitting where you can't see the bruises, being so affable and big hearted to people outside the home. Making it oh so hard for the terrorised to be believed. You'd be surprised just who are victims, and even more surprised just who is doing the terrorising.

Tannin you think your untouched by it? Has the woman at the bakery been a bit off sometimes, a bit grumpy fro no reason? Has the checkout chick not smiled in a while? Does the kid on the bike, not watching where he's gonig, in a world of his own seem, well in his own world? Could be anything right? Yup.

Could be anything.

And as for "lacking in courage" to come forward, this thread says so much about why they might "lack" in trust of the "system", and in their support system of family and friends.

Last edited by think positive on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:47 am

Excellent post, TP. Nevertheless, it has had no noticable effect on me, and doubtless not on a great many other people either, unless you count far-removed indirect things like the cost of Medicaire.

This of course is neither here nor there in the scheme of things: it's a common problem and a bad one, it needs addressing. But let's not try to pretend it is something its not. That is always a mistake.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:51 am

think positive wrote:
And as for "lacking in courage" to come forward, this thread says so much about why they might "lack" in trust of the "system", and in their support system of family and friends.

Duh. That was my point, Archimedies.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 am

Tannin wrote:
Excellent post, TP. Nevertheless, it has had no noticable effect on me, and doubtless not on a great many other people either, unless you count far-removed indirect things like the cost of Medicaire.

count yourself lucky, so very very lucky, take it from someone who knows, only too well.

Cheers

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 pm

^ Oh, I believe you. Absolutely.

I wonder how many Australians are as lucky as me in this regard? Less than half, I'd take long odds on that. Probably (guessing wildly) more like a fifth or even just a tenth.

Of course, it depends a bit on how wide your close social circle is. Mine is very small. Yes, I know a huge number of people by name because of my job (lord alone knows how many!), and many of them are good friends I've known for years, but nearly always on a friendly professional level, sometimes we spend an hour or two yarning while I work on a computer, but we don't send each other Christmas cards or drop in at home or go out for a drink together, let alone talk personal stuff. Good friends but not close friends, if you know what I mean by the difference. (Or is that a boy thing?) So I wouldn't be told, nor of course would I ask anything intrusive unless someone was obviously upset and it seemed to be required. But if you are that upset, upgrading your computer probably isn't something on your radar for the day, so I wouldn't see it. I'd only see it amongst family or very close friends, and of those I have just a handful, so my odds are good. If, on the other hand, you are close to a larger number of people, then it's going to be something you come across more often.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Cheers tannin Smile
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:17 pm

Smile Do you have any idea what I am talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:40 am

Glenelg Coach Nick Stevens has been sacked after being convicted of Assault against his former partner. Pity they waited but I guess they had to.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:19 am

1061 wrote:
Glenelg Coach Nick Stevens has been sacked after being convicted of Assault against his former partner. Pity they waited but I guess they had to.

I like the result and also the fact that they waited, as we MUST preseve the "innocent until found guilty by the Courts" edict.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 am

^ Just so.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Any move even slightly away from 'innocent until proven guilty' is a bad one. Down that path leads kangaroo courts and arbitrary punishment for undesirables. Nick Stevens might have been a massive twat and vicious prick but I still want the Crown to have to prove that beyond reasonable doubt before he pays for it.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:36 pm

Wokko wrote:
Any move even slightly away from 'innocent until proven guilty' is a bad one. Down that path leads kangaroo courts and arbitrary punishment for undesirables. Nick Stevens might have been a massive twat and vicious prick but I still want the Crown to have to prove that beyond reasonable doubt before he pays for it.

Otherwise we too will be acting like those dickhead, hate filled terrorists in a Muslim "court" where they find people "guilty" on the flimsiest of so called evidence. Evil or Very Mad

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:05 am

reading ABC news while i eat breaky (tannin, really, you give me ABC news?) and i find this article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-14/man-jailed-after-five-hour-attack-on-wife/6773874

i also awoke to finding my eldest sister had posted on her face book page a pic of a woman with a black eye, and the title says "real men dont hit woman"

this was my fathers comment under that post:

I'm ashamed to say that I did once or twice! I'm sorry Sheila!

funny how one line makes it all come back, should his admission (the only one i have ever heard/seen) make it better or worse?

i dont know, but the tears are streaming down my face....

my reply:

Dad, exclamation marks don't belong in that sentence. but Thankyou for the admission and the apology. May others learn from your honesty.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:20 am

There have been so many murders of women let alone bashings - I find it unfathomable.

I've mentioned before Mrs WPT works with people who are hoarders in her business. Quite a few are women who have a form of acquired brain injury (ABI) secondary to their brutal violent male ex- partners.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:19 pm

Yeah I often wonder about mums brain tumour and dementia....

Your wife must be an amazing woman, would be so difficult to deal with the emotional cutting of ties in those situations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: