Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tragedy in Cairns

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
We get domestic sieges all the time that often end up with as many people dead as in Martin place, but you don't get multiple TV networks all camped outside.

That's the point, isn't it.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
We get domestic sieges all the time that often end up with as many people dead as in Martin place, but you don't get multiple TV networks all camped outside.

It's A point, yeah.

Maybe social media can fill a void once it settles a bit between what social issues need to be fixed, and what mainstream media reports.

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:04 am

Saddened and shocked, I was in Sydney last week and now home in Cairns. It feels as if I'm stalking tragedy.

But events like these put things into sharper focus, appreciate what you have and those around you, life's too short to worry the insignificant.

Our thoughts and prayers at Xmas with the innocent and the brave, and their families, whose lives have been needlessly cut short this week. RIP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:07 am

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

It's A point, yeah.

Maybe social media can fill a void once it settles a bit between what social issues need to be fixed, and what mainstream media reports.

I think the Media have lost a lot of Credibility during last weeks siege and the ongoing search for related stories. Much dare I say like the Phillip Hughes story and now they all but ignore the murder of 8 children because it's not as "sexy".
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:07 am

Born to Pie wrote:
Saddened and shocked, I was in Sydney last week and now home in Cairns. It feels as if I'm stalking tragedy.

But events like these put things into sharper focus, appreciate what you have and those around you, life's too short to worry the insignificant.

Our thoughts and prayers at Xmas with the innocent and the brave, and their families, whose lives have been needlessly cut short this week. RIP
[quote] him or her too feels as if he or she'm stalking tragedy? What else feels like that?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:51 am

The mother has been arrested:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-20/cairns-mother-of-children-arrested-for-murder/5980826

Hard to imagine motivation for this. Murder-suicide? Revenge? Psychosis?

I suppose we'll find out in the months to come. Either way, pretty appalling stuff.

Edit: a more detailed report below:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/woman-heard-screaming-for-forgiveness-before-child-massacre/story-fnihsrf2-1227162553523

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:53 pm

David wrote:
The mother has been arrested:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-20/cairns-mother-of-children-arrested-for-murder/5980826

Hard to imagine motivation for this. Murder-suicide? Revenge? Psychosis?

I suppose we'll find out in the months to come. Either way, pretty appalling stuff.

Edit: a more detailed report below:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/woman-heard-screaming-for-forgiveness-before-child-massacre/story-fnihsrf2-1227162553523

So is she Nuts, on Drugs or in a Cult?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:25 pm

^

Bits of column A and bits of column C, with a massive serving of stereotypes lobbed in.

Sad

The more I read about this he more you just don't know what to say. So much risk of being accused of being racist.

By what I read, the mum was someone who did all right. Lots of kids to 5 different fathers jars a bit, but assuming it was her choice, fairy nuff. Relying on welfare to feed the tribe, again jars a bit but what ya gonna do?

The positives, from what I read was she wasn't much of a drinker, in a sub culture where it's rampant, and actively had a booze and drug free home with a 10,pm curfew, so she was trying within the cards she was dealt to do the right thing by the kids.

Then for some reason it all turned to sh1t. Allegedly she found God and decided that technology was evil, throwing out the TV. There's also allegations that the kids were going to be removed from her care, which is what prompted the action.

FIIK. You can't explain this kind of stuff, you can examine in in retrospect but finding an answer is beyond me.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:38 pm

^^What we have is media speculation in overdrive. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story as they say.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:45 pm

^

The Man who shot Liberty Valance nods in approval.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Damn it, now I've got a stupid song in my head!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:52 pm

You gotta wonder how she did it. We're they drugged? Why didn't any escape? And how come when she got to say 3, she didn't think why am I doing this?

Gees what an awful way to die, and at the hands of your own mother

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:33 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Bits of column A and bits of column C, with a massive serving of stereotypes lobbed in.

Sad

The more I read about this he more you just don't know what to say. So much risk of being accused of being racist.

By what I read, the mum was someone who did all right. Lots of kids to 5 different fathers jars a bit, but assuming it was her choice, fairy nuff. Relying on welfare to feed the tribe, again jars a bit but what ya gonna do?

The positives, from what I read was she wasn't much of a drinker, in a sub culture where it's rampant, and actively had a booze and drug free home with a 10,pm curfew, so she was trying within the cards she was dealt to do the right thing by the kids.

Then for some reason it all turned to sh1t. Allegedly she found God and decided that technology was evil, throwing out the TV. There's also allegations that the kids were going to be removed from her care, which is what prompted the action.

FIIK. You can't explain this kind of stuff, you can examine in in retrospect but finding an answer is beyond me.

Because, by definition, it's a mental collapse. No need to protect sanity by calling it anything else. Some brains just pack it in, like Lee Walker's knees.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:53 pm

It's extremely sad news and my thoughts go out to the eight victims!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Tannin wrote:
Damn it, now I've got a stupid song in my head!

Very good song. Great movie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: