Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Never seen a government lose its base so fast

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

From the highly acclaimed Fairfax business journalist (who Gina tried to sue but lost big time) Adele Ferguson:

The Mad Misogynist Monk should have demoted himself:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/tony-abbott-should-have-demoted-himself-20141222-12c74q.html

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Kevin Andrews, the man with no interest in Defence issues is the new Defence Minister.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/no-interest-comments-come-back-to-haunt-new-defence-minister-kevin-andrews-20141222-12c2sp.html
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Oh a web page.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:29 pm

watt price tully wrote:
From the highly acclaimed Fairfax business journalist (who Gina tried to sue but lost big time) Adele Ferguson:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/tony-abbott-should-have-demoted-himself-20141222-12c74q.html

"Highly acclaimed". What a laugh.

Adele loves a witch hunt, I'll give her that. She's also pretty good at having an opinion on many things that she doesn't understand completely (I haven't read this particular article and I refuse to do so, simply because she wrote it).

Last edited by Joel on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:44 pm

As long as women are in the right spot doing the ironing. Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Quote:
His appointment of himself as the minister for women was always seen as a cynical PR stunt, designed to compensate for the many gaffes he has made about women over the years, including the gobsmacking comment in 2010 that "housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it's going to go up in price, and their own power bill when they switch the iron on are going to go up."

I've never quite understood this 'gaffe'is it because Australia has no housewives, or because housewives don't do ironing any more? Or is it just that any reference to women and ironing is a no-no?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 pm

sixpoints wrote:
Kevin Andrews, the man with no interest in Defence issues is the new Defence Minister.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/no-interest-comments-come-back-to-haunt-new-defence-minister-kevin-andrews-20141222-12c2sp.html

Am I reading this correctly? Shocked

Quote:
Advocates for gay and lesbian service men and women have welcomed the appointment of Mr Andrews, one of the government's most socially conservative members, halfway through the implementation of a cultural change policy aimed at making the military more inclusive.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:28 pm

David wrote:
Quote:
His appointment of himself as the minister for women was always seen as a cynical PR stunt, designed to compensate for the many gaffes he has made about women over the years, including the gobsmacking comment in 2010 that "housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it's going to go up in price, and their own power bill when they switch the iron on are going to go up."

I've never quite understood this 'gaffe'is it because Australia has no housewives, or because housewives don't do ironing any more? Or is it just that any reference to women and ironing is a no-no?

Academic feminists and their enablers hate the fact that there are women who have chosen to stay home and look after children and maintain a household. Any reference to this is 'sexist' and must be met with ridicule or vitriol. I was confused about this kind of thing as well until I realised that the agenda isn't to give women and families choice, it's to push a culture where women no longer look after children or the home and those careers are outsourced to the State or corporations.

Before I get lambasted again as some kind of woman hating conservative by WPT Rolling Eyes , I am the 'housewife' who looks after my daughter because her mother is not able to work due to significant health issues and I would rather have my child raised by a parent than by childcare corporations. I have the greatest respect for housewives and stay at home mothers and fathers and I despise seeing the job treated as something to look down upon by scumbag 'intellectuals' and feminists. People have fought to give women 'choice', but have enslaved them as wage earning drones, economic units whose children are raised by childcare workers. That's the true tragedy, not Tony Abbott harking back to an era where children were raised by their parents and came home to cooked meals and cleaned and ironed clothes.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
Quote:

Academic feminists and their enablers hate the fact that there are women who have chosen to stay home and look after children and maintain a household. Any reference to this is 'sexist' and must be met with ridicule or vitriol. I was confused about this kind of thing as well until I realised that the agenda isn't to give women and families choice, it's to push a culture where women no longer look after children or the home and those careers are outsourced to the State or corporations.

Before I get lambasted again as some kind of woman hating conservative by WPT Rolling Eyes , I am the 'housewife' who looks after my daughter because her mother is not able to work due to significant health issues and I would rather have my child raised by a parent than by childcare corporations. I have the greatest respect for housewives and stay at home mothers and fathers and I despise seeing the job treated as something to look down upon by scumbag 'intellectuals' and feminists. People have fought to give women 'choice', but have enslaved them as wage earning drones, economic units whose children are raised by childcare workers. That's the true tragedy, not Tony Abbott harking back to an era where children were raised by their parents and came home to cooked meals and cleaned and ironed clothes.

Yep, I hate all the child dumps! Fancy a kid having to get to child care at 6am. Then don't get home til 6pm. That's not living. For anyone

Last edited by think positive on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 pm

David wrote:
Quote:

I iron. The world is going to hell. All those kids and husbands walking around in creased $$%^%%$ clothes, ugh!

Last edited by think positive on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Australia finally has a Science Minister... (again...well sort of).

I see Ian Macfarlane the minister without a portfolio (Industry) has been given another non-portfolio (science)!
To aid Mr MacFarlane there's been a minor cabinet reshuffle that puts Abbott's views on science back in perspective!

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/tony-abbott-appoints-climate-skeptic-to-help-on-environment-57657

wrote:
Oil, coal and gas are all products of climate change, in fact if our climate had remained constant, those commodities would not exist and we would probably still have dinosaurs roaming the earth.

...Instead they are roaming the Abbott cabinet!

Tony in charge of Womens issues?
I know words aren't your forte but "elevating a number of woman to the cabinet" (1 is indeed a number) isn't doing much for gender equality!

Scott Morrison in charge of welfare?
Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/22/reshuffled-cabinet-called-on-to-rethink-welfare-health-and-immigration-policy
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:40 pm

The Born to rule party are clearly in a state of Panic. I can't see Big Ears being PM this time next year.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:41 pm

So, Sussan Ley is now in cabinet.

Just another silver spooner obviously.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/sussan-ley-from-punk-rocker-to-health-minister-20141222-12c643.html

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:18 pm

sixpoints wrote:

I don't have a problem with that. Quite often, we find that ministers with particular policy interests who get that portfolio they dream of wind up making a mess of it. Consider Bob Carr, a very competent and experienced man with a good track record. He had always wanted to be foreign affairs minister, made a lifetime study of it. Result: he was pretty crap and made a number of major gaffes.

On the other hand, there have been conspicuous always-wanted-this-job success stories too. Kim Beasley was an outstanding defence minister - and indeed was only conscripted reluctantly into a party leadership role 'coz he liked having defence. Barry Jones was an excellent Science Minister.

Finally, consider Graham Richardson, who had never shown the faintest interest in the environment and was suddenly handed the environment portfolio by Bob Hawke. Disaster, yes? No! Richardson turned out to be perhaps the best Environment Minister I can remember.

The explanation, I surmise, is that a minister with no background or interest in a portfolio can succeed - and sometimes do very well indeed - if he is a good, experienced administrator, well advised by his senior department officials, able to take on the unexpected role with an open mind and bring a lot of energy to it, and in particular, if he has the capacity to find out his department's needs and then push the required policies through in cabinet.

(None of this is to say that Andrews will make a good defence Minister, or won't. Given his appalling record for supporting the extreme religious right at every opportunity, however, we can at least be grateful he hasn't been put somewhere he could do serious damage, such as health, education, or social services.)"

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:53 am

Joel wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

"Highly acclaimed". What a laugh.

Adele loves a witch hunt, I'll give her that. She's also pretty good at having an opinion on many things that she doesn't understand completely (I haven't read this particular article and I refuse to do so, simply because she wrote it).

Don't get the fact of Walkley awards get in the way of not reading her Joel. Wink

A brave journalist Joel - She's got balls mate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20   

Jump to: