Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2014 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating this week's results, noting that New Orleans is 7:0 ahead of Chicago just before half-time.

In the completed games, the Cards beat the Rams 12:6 last Thursday and, yesterday, apart from UNACCEPTABLE losses by Green Bay Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes and the 49ers, the Steelers beat Atlanta 27:20, the Giants won a dead rubber over Washington 24:13, the Pats beat the Dolphins 41:13, the Chiefs beat the Raiders 31:13, the Colts beat the Texans 17:10, the Ravens beat the Jags 20:12, the Panthers beat the Bucs 19:17 (to take a temporary lead in the NFC South, pending New Orleans' result today), the Bengals beat the Browns in a 30 point shutout, the Jets beat the Titans 16:11, the Broncos beat the Chargers 22:10, the Vikes lost 16:14 to the Lions - how they got so close is a bit of a mystery to me but perhaps Matt Stafford (17/28 for 153 yards) went out in sympathy with A-Rod and the Cowboys beats the Eagles 38:27.

The playoff picture is becoming clearer. In the NFC, Arizona has clinched a playoff berth (though not yet the Division), Detroit provisionally leads the North, Dallas is a game clear in the East, Carolina or New Orleans will head the South at the end of the day and Seattle and Green Bay occupy the wild card places. Of the rest, only Philly can make the playoffs as a wild card but there is still a three-way fight in the South to see who wins the Division out of Carolina, New Orleans and Atlanta. In the AFC, New England, Denver and Indy have already secured their respective division titles. In the North, though, it is still a three-way struggle between Cincinnatti, the Steelers and the Ravens - one will get the Divisional title (Cincy is presently half a game ahead but probably won't be at the end of the season, given its remaining 2 games are against Denver and the Steelers) and there is a reasonable prospect that the other two will get the wildcard places (the Steelers and the Ravens presently sit in the wildcard spots). The Chiefs, the Chargers and the Bills (thanks again, Packers!!!) are still seriously in the running for wildcard spots, though.

Otherwise, is anyone willing to help out A-Rod with Olivia on match days?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Getting very exciting in Saints v Bears. If Cutler can throw just two more eight-point TDs in the next 9 minutes, he can take this one to overtime. Saints 24, Chicago 8.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 pm

And Cutler again shows his mastery of the 35-yard clutch pass on a 1st and 10 trailing 31:8. After a 1m, 17s TD drive, he has the full thirty seconds (and 1 time-out) to make the 'Aints pay (provided special teams get him that onside kick and then another one).

31:15.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
So, anyway, here are my predictions for final win/loss tallies for all 32 teams, based on my completely out-of-touch and quite incorrect form assessment and the respective teams' remaining schedules:

Arizona 10 wins/6 losses
Atlanta 4/12
Baltimore 12/4
Buffalo 8/8
Carolina 9/6 (and 1 tie)
Chicago 6/10
Cincinnati 11/4 (and 1 tie)
Cleveland 8/8
Dallas 13/3
Denver 14/2
Detroit 10/6
Green Bay 13/3
Houston 7/9
Indianapolis 11/5
Jacksonville 1/15
Kansas City 9/7
Miami 6/10
Minnesota 5/11
New England 13/3
New Orleans 7/9
Giants 7/9
Jets 2/14
Oakland 0/16
Philly 11/5
Pittsburgh 12/4
San Diego 8/8
San Francisco 12/4
Seattle 9/7
St Louis 3/13
Tampa Bay 1/15
Tennessee 4/12
Washington 5/11

That would see the playoffs looking like this:

NFC divisional winners - Dallas (wildcard Philly), Green Bay, Carolina and San Francisco, with the remaining wildcard out of Arizona and Detroit. For comparison, the present "official" provisional standings are Arizona, Detroit, Dallas and New Orleans, with Philly and Green Bay in the wildcard positions. So, in essence, I have Carolina and the 49ers as big movers, with New Orleans, Arizona and Detroit falling away.

AFC - New England, Baltimore or Pittsburgh (with the runner-up as a wildcard) Indianapolis and Denver, with the remaining wildcard to Cincinnati (3rd place in the AFC North, but 6th overall in the AFC). For comparison, the present "official" provisional standings are Denver, New England, Cincinnati and Indianapolis, with San Diego and Buffalo in the wildcard positions. So, I have Denver, New England and Indianapolis holding their leads in their respective divisions but a three-way fight in the AFC North between Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I only have a half a game between them (Bengals already have that tie), so this will be a very strong division to watch, I think. I expect the two present "official" wildcards (San Diego and Buffalo) to fall away in the second half of the season.

I'll redo these in a few weeks when the playoff machine is available and a few more quarterbacks have improved (or been broken - I am already on Romo/Rodgers watch, given their injury troubles last week).

Just an opportunity to laugh at how wrong I was in October and to adjust my playoff speculations (let's see how wrong I can be over the final two weeks of the season):

I speculate that Dallas will top the NFC East (as third seed), Green Bay (as second seed) may still top the North (it probably all comes down to the final game against Detroit at Lambeau), Carolina might still win the South (as fourth seed) but New Orleans look to be in the box seat and, the 49ers having missed the playoffs, the Seahawks will probably take the west (as first seed). The wildcard places will be the Cardinals (whose effort has been tremendous, despite the absence of anything approaching a star QB for the second half of the season) and Detroit. Of course, the Cardinals and Seahawks could still swap their playoff spots, as could Green Bay and Detroit.

I also speculate that the Pats will top the AFC East (as first seed), Denver will top the West, I have the Steelers topping the North (as third seed), although that race remains wide open, and Indy will top the South. The Ravens and the Bengals will take the wildcard places, although one of them could swap with the Steelers as division winner (in which case Indy might finish as 3rd seed). I have to be correct about three of these divisional winners, since all except the Steelers have mathematically clinched their respective divisions.

In summary, then, I still think 4 of my previous 6 NFC teams will make the playoffs (Panthers out, Saints in and 49ers out, Seahawks in) and I still think my previous 6 AFC teams will make the playoffs.

As for my season win/loss projections, the less said, the better. Shocked
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Free to air games on Monday are Chiefs at Steelers, Colts at Dallas, Seattle at Arizona. Now that the college season is (mostly) over, the Saturday NFL schedule has started, but it doesn't seem we'll be getting those games on FTA.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:43 pm

After reading P4S post about his win / loss predictions I went back over my preseason predictions for each division.

I have to say that at this point of the season there's some teams that have really surprised me in both a good and bad way.

The good:

Cardinals - given their injuries and the division they're in to be 11-3 with two game to go and a legitimate shot at finishing the top of the NFC West is a tremendous effort. Basically it all boils down to this week for the Cards, beat the Seahawks and they should top the division but lose and the Seahawks probably take the top spot and home field advantage.

Charges - picked them to finish last in their division but currently their 8-6 and sitting equal second with the Chiefs on win/loss.

Cowboys - while I knew they had the talent their ability to disappoint was what I found hardest to ignore when I predicted they'd finish third in the NFC East. Currently they're top of their division and look destined to email there. Romo looks confident in the pocket and is making good decisions, Murrey is arguably the leagues best running back, the OL looks very good, and their defense looks capable. Currently people are justifiably discussing this team when talking about possible Super Bowl champs.

Lions - the talent was always there, especially on the defensive side, but somehow never realized. Thankfully it has been this year and the 10-4 result is reflective of this. Are they SB contenders, in my opinion, no but it gives the team and supporters massive hope for next year and allows the movers and shakers to get a better idea of what needs to be targeted in the offseason to further improve this side.

Steelers - a team I though would likely have a 50/50 season has ridden their QB's shoulders to a 9-5 record and a real shot at top spot of the AFC North. I expected them to struggle especially in the latter part of the season but instead they seem to be getting stronger. It's still all about Rothlisberger though.

Bills and Dolphins - both teams have done far better, and against some quality opposition, than I thought they would. It's great for the AFC East because this division was getting pretty stale with the Patriots ruling with no real expectation of it ever changing. With the emergence of these two teams the division becomes interesting again, but the challenge for all concerned is to build on this year and become true divisional contenders instead of regressing.

Texans - being 7-7 and a chance at a positive win/loss record is a season of positive for the Texans considering their woes heading into the season. Another team that should be buoyed by their success and feeling good about the medium term future success.

The bad:

Jets - this team as a whole, and I mean from the front office to the players, has underperformed this year. It been a fairly spectacular and embarrassing fall to the lower echelons of the NFL for this proud franchise and it looks likely to be a fairly painful growth period to get back into a serious contender. Would suck to be a Jets fan at the moment.

Raiders - I never believed this team would contend but I honestly thought they would finish the season with at least six wins. Carr has looked like a rookie QB and his exposure this year will benefit the team next year while the team as a whole has underperformed. Next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Harbaugh as their coach and a significant improvement. The obvious highlight for this team this season would be their win over the 49ers in what was a convincing win and in essence ended the 9ers playoffs chances (man that hurt to write).

Redskins (again are we allowed to still call them that?) - a shambolic season from start to finish. The NFL should really make a promotional documentary of the Washington 2014-2015 season so they can show other teams coaches and front offices how to NOT behave during the regular season. The discord between these two important factions has fractured this team from within and killed their season. The RGIII debate will rage into the offseason and threaten to derail next season as well if not handled with strength and conviction.

Bears - well at least they now realize Cutler isn't "the man", or at least they should, if they want to seriously contend. He's had all the weapons to use but has failed to do so and some of his decisions and throws have made Kaep look like an All-Pro (yeah that hurt to write too). They seriously need to focus on strengthening their defense and looking for a franchise QB but as it happens their luck is in because it would appear the 2015 draft would have a very, very promising QB likely to go top 5. Would mean trading up but this guy does look worth the risk.

Saints - yeah their on top of the NFC South but that's nothing to brag about this season given its been done with a flattering 6-8 record. I picked this team as one of the serious contenders for the Lombardi Trophy but they look like a one and done team for the finals, IF they make it which is still a strong possibility won't happen. I mean this division is so bad at the moment the Buccs who were 2-10 a couple of weeks ago were still a mathematical shot at the top spot.

Finally and with a great deal of pain and sadness my 49ers Sad - I'll make it short because I could write a 3-4 page report on what went wrong this season but I'll condense it into a couple of paragraphs.
Roman.....OK it wasn't all his fault, the OL was poor and the coaches consistently called the runs to the middle or the right instead of to the left where their two strongest and best performing linemen were! in Staley and Lupati. Kaep had a very poor season some of that is on him but some of it isn't, Vernon Davis disappeared as a receiver and his blocking was very poor this season, some young players had poor years (MacDonald, Lemonier and others) and others didn't get the opportunities I hoped they would (Tank Carridine, Patton and others). In essence the problems are on the offensive side of the ball which is particularly galling given the improvements made in the offseason, while the defense looks set for years to come.

The offseason looks to see last of Roman and probably Harbaugh, while Fangio will likely find a senior coaching position somewhere else if not offered the 49ers top job. I'm hoping Lupati gets offered a new contract and Frank "The Truth" Gore gets offered a one year reduced contract so he can retire a lifetime 49er. Crabtree, Brooks, Culliver and Vernon Davis look likely salary cap casualties and others like Jonathon Martin, Dahl, and some others will likely be moved on.

I'll stop writing about my 49ers there and say good luck to all those still with teams vying for playoff positions.

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:18 pm

49ers. Terrible.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Well, I guess if you're going to lead 21:0 and still lose 38:35 in overtime, you may as well do it after you're out of playoff contention.

In other results so far in week 16 the Jags beat the Titans 21:13 in a completely irrelevant game and Philly lost to Washington 27:24 on the back of a field goal handed over by another Sanchez turnover at the death. That leaves Philly on the brink of dropping out of the playoffs (their chances probably depend on Dallas losing its last two games at home to Indy and away in Washington and Philly beating the Giants in New York). Meanwhile, the Chargers, after beating the 49ers, are still in contention for an AFC wildcard.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Want to see a video representation for the term "shooting yourself in the foot" just watch the 49ers against the Chargers.

It's a psychological kick to the nuts for 9ers supporters.

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:15 am

OEP wrote:
Want to see a video representation for the term "shooting yourself in the foot" just watch the 49ers against the Chargers.

It's a psychological kick to the nuts for 9ers supporters.

Certainly was. Sat through the whole game and the first half was great. Played well, like a team with weight off their shoulders. Then the second half was just a horror show. Rivers and the Chargers OL were unstoppable, or the 9ers just couldn't be arsed trying to stop them. Disgusting. Frank Gore must be super pissed. He's a machine and busts his backside for that putrid second half effort.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:49 am

Green Bay 20, Bucs 3. Go Pack
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Steelers secure a playoff spot, Chiefs on the brink of missing out. Detroit in as well, though they made hard work of it against the Bears (Bell's TD was beautiful though, great spin move). Cowboys look ominous, if only because it's not just about Romo - the offensive line is doing a great job, and the defense looks hungry. Saints knocked out of the playoff picture by the Falcons, who will go on to meet the Panthers for the division title. Bills were always going to be a longshot for a wildcard, but losing to Oakland doesn't help.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:31 pm

How about them Cowboys?
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Green Bay 20, Bucs 3. Go Pack

Congrats, at least one of our teams are playoff bound.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
How about them Cowboys?

They do look good DTM, there's no denying their playing very good football in all three phases of the game. My only question on their ability to get to the SuperBowl is the same as the start of the season....can Romo play well in cut throat games. I guess we'll find out in the next few weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 20 of 32   

Jump to: