Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hostage situation in Sydney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's what I find so strange about the push in Australia, as far as I'm aware there is little to no distinction between a traditionally married and a de facto couple of any gender (there used to be with gay couples but I thought that was all changed). I heavily support removing all distinctions and move to a civil contract rather than a State issue. Leave marriage as a religious institution and everyone else can legally form couples as they see fit.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:57 am

1061 wrote:
Looks like the Gay Marriage lobbyists are going to use the Cafe Managers Murder in their fight for same sex marriage. Apparently he was in a defacto relationship with his partner of 14 years but of course they could not marry.

I hope they don't do this.

The US Based Huffington Post has started and they obviously don't understand in Australia all Non Married Couples are equal under Australian law. There is no discrimination.

I take both issues seriously, of course. However, I don't get how they could be sensibly connected. Is there some suggestion that his predicament might have been different if he'd been married?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:00 am

Wokko wrote:
It's what I find so strange about the push in Australia, as far as I'm aware there is little to no distinction between a traditionally married and a de facto couple of any gender (there used to be with gay couples but I thought that was all changed). I heavily support removing all distinctions and move to a civil contract rather than a State issue. Leave marriage as a religious institution and everyone else can legally form couples as they see fit.

^ Spot on. How we got onto this topic in this thread, though, is beyond me. It has nothing whatever to do with gay marriage. But seeing as we have come this far, perhaps you Nicksters can help me with some advice about my sister's acne.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 am

Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:

^ Spot on. How we got onto this topic in this thread, though, is beyond me. It has nothing whatever to do with gay marriage. But seeing as we have come this far, perhaps you Nicksters can help me with some advice about my sister's acne.

True, 1061 derailed the thread and I just ran full speed into the wreckage Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:25 am

Sorry I just saw an Article about it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-peron/gay-hero-of-sydney-hostag_b_6332038.html
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 pm

1061 wrote:
Looks like the Gay Marriage lobbyists are going to use the Cafe Managers Murder in their fight for same sex marriage. Apparently he was in a defacto relationship with his partner of 14 years but of course they could not marry.

The US Based Huffington Post has started and they obviously don't understand in Australia all Non Married Couples are equal under Australian law. There is no discrimination.

I see nothing to suggest that that's the case. Apart from a solitary hare-brained opinion piece (which queer writer Helen Razer rightfully attacked in the Crikey article I posted a few pages back), no-one's actually said anything about this. Have a look on the Australian Marriage Equality website and tell me if you see anything. Obviously the link is completely absurd; in fact, to even call the manager a "hero" is very presumptuous given that we don't yet know the circumstances of his death.

As for your last point, the very inability of same-sex couples to marry here constitutes discrimination. But this is surely a discussion for another thread.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:32 pm

David wrote:
1061 wrote:

I see nothing to suggest that that's the case. Apart from a solitary hare-brained opinion piece (which queer writer Helen Razer rightfully attacked in the Crikey article I posted a few pages back), no-one's actually said anything about this. Have a look on the Australian Marriage Equality website and tell me if you see anything. Obviously the link is completely absurd; in fact, to even call the manager a "hero" is very presumptuous given that we don't yet know the circumstances of his death.

As for your last point, the very inability of same-sex couples to marry here constitutes discrimination. But this is surely a discussion for another thread.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/snake-escapes-in-kambah-after-enclosure-catches-alight-in-house-fire-20141218-12ag8u.html

This looks a bit closer to the mark.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote:
1061 wrote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/snake-escapes-in-kambah-after-enclosure-catches-alight-in-house-fire-20141218-12ag8u.html

This looks a bit closer to the mark.

Why am I not surprised.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Well, there's a variety of options.

Medicated creams,
Sand paper,
Surgery
Paper bag on head.

Or, there's a left field solution. Learn a martial art (or at least some interpretive dance moves), practise popping zits until she can fire a core across a distance of at least 2 feet, don a lycra uniform and fight crime as the new age superhero Craterface.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:08 pm

^ Why do I feel ill?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:18 pm

I suspected this might have been the case. An unavoidable tragedy, perhaps, but hopefully there will be an official inquiry.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/11/lindt-cafe-siege-victim-katrina-dawson-was-hit-by-police-bullet-reports-say

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:23 pm

David wrote:
I suspected this might have been the case. An unavoidable tragedy, perhaps, but hopefully there will be an official inquiry.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/jan/11/lindt-cafe-siege-victim-katrina-dawson-was-hit-by-police-bullet-reports-say

And what perchance would you see resulting from that inquiry?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Bullet proof vests for all hostages from now on.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

And what perchance would you see resulting from that inquiry?

Your so polite, my immediate thought was , oh **** off. Seriously? You think that's necessary? You don't think the cops don't have enough PTS from the whole thing? Do you need a name on the bullet and an apology? FMFD

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Allah help the next terrorist or nutjob in NSW, after the inquiry which will find that the siege situation was bungled. They will take the next bloke out without negotiating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 17 of 22   

Jump to: