Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Advice / suggestions re TV, internet, streaming etc:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:46 pm
Post subject: Advice / suggestions re TV, internet, streaming etc:Reply with quote

Hi,

I have two TV's.

1. A 50" Pioneer Plasma monitor. To make the monitor a TV, I have a Pioneer Receiver / Amp, a Pioneer Blue Ray player & a Panasonic DVD Player recorder as well as two "bookshelf" speakers. All the bits are connected to the receiver by HDMI cables & the receiver / amp is connected to the Monitor by an HD - Dvi cable. (Brilliant picture)

2. A Sony Bravia 46" 2 yr old Smart TV. The Sony as of yesterday has Apple TV connected which streams a fair bit such as HBO, films & TV shows one can rent or buy & the Sony TV has a similar feature from "Sony Entertainment". The Apple will have access or links to Netflix, I believe.

I have Optus cable Broadband & a new N 600 series Belkin wireless router.

Questions:

* What can I do to stream live AFL games (presumably onto the Sony) & not have to buy the whole Foxtel palarva?

* What other streaming devices do people have & do they like them & why? ( Apart from Apple TV)

Cheers

WPT.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

1: Place the TV sets where they properly belong - in the garbage bin.

2: Watch the footy on ABC radio. You get a much better view.

3: View the replay on afl.com.au, as many times as you want

4: Everything else that any sane person - yes, even you Jim - would ever want to watch is available on the excellent ABC iView, or (if you can tolerate Australia's entrant in the world's worst on-line interface competition and feel up to avoiding all the soccer garbage) the SBS replay service.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Tannin wrote:
1: Place the TV sets where they properly belong - in the garbage bin.

2: Watch the footy on ABC radio. You get a much better view.

3: View the replay on afl.com.au, as many times as you want

4: Everything else that any sane person - yes, even you Jim - would ever want to watch is available on the excellent ABC iView, or (if you can tolerate Australia's entrant in the world's worst on-line interface competition and feel up to avoiding all the soccer garbage) the SBS replay service.

Ultimately what you write is true.

However, you must come to my place sometime & allow me to show you my etchings - sorry the TV. Watching a "blu ray" on the Pioneer is great televisual experience so to speak. I have a professional panel (the monitor) & is top notch - great way to watch film or sport.

The Apple streaming is great quality too (HD streaming). I do watch SBS & iView quite a bit.

Smart replay on AFL is a poor viewing alternative to live streaming.

The Apple allows me to "buy" Jon Stewart so to speak!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:24 pm

Because my phone is with Telstra I can watch games live on my phone if I want to using an Ap for a small fee.

Chromecast is a dongle you can plug into a USB port on your TV and stream from your phone to the TV.

Not going to work with Apple and Optus though.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:41 pm

^Yep, Chromecast is the cheap fix.

Then, if you did manage access to footy streams of good enough quality in your Chrome browser, you could "cast" them to your TV via the Chromecast device which plugs into your TV's HDMI port.

There are also a number of paid content apps which have native Chromecasting, though I can't tell you much about those as I have mostly used it for casting YouTube vids via the Chrome browser extension.

It's cheap enough to play around with either way, and can cast almost any content at worst through the Chrome browser.

All that said, I still don't use it much! But you're a much bigger movie watcher than me, so you might get good value out of it.

There's a Chromecast Google Play music deal at the moment for Xmas by the looks:

http://www.google.com.au/chrome/devices/chromecast/

New feature added:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/11/chromecast-finally-gets-that-kind-of-magic-wifi-password-free-guest-mode/

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks for your suggestions.

cheers

WPT

partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 am

Hi WPT

I got telstra tbox for my bro while he was sick and we watched lots of sports, it was just great and did not even cost much as it was in a bundle. it has a hard drive and you can record fta etc. Surfing events, NRL and cricket were just the thing, as well as the beloved pies. It was perfect for a poor bastard with brain tumours.

Back home now, most of the Pies games next year especially in Melbourne will be on FTA. I am with another internet provider which unlike Telstra is extremely easy to deal with, so I will just stick with the AFL app on my iPad. I also have apple tv, it works really well and you can probably stream replays from the AFL website.

My daughters boyfriend tells me he has worked out a way to trick the AFL app to stream via Apple TV. We will see next season whether the AFL and Telstra have managed to ruin this. When I see him I will ask specifically how he does it.

Good luck, if you can be bothered dealing with Telstra and having a million passwords, Foxtel or tbox is a good service. Foxtel is now available on shorter terms these days I think and has dropped the price.
London Dave Aquarius

Jete jedna pivo prosm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:26 am

Chromecast...pretty good stuff... one of the first pieces of Google tech I got that didn't require several googles to figure out how to set it up!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:49 am

Many thanks partypie & London Dave.

Cheers

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:57 am

Some of this is assumption and I'd run it past a professional or do some more research. Get a tablet with an HDMI output and get the AFL Live app ($4.99 per week I think). Plug the HDMI cable into the tablet & TV and it should show up in your devices list and off you go.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:44 pm

I have a HTPC, so I'll be accessing the international streaming via Smart DNS next year.

You sign up to someone like unblock.us or unotelly and change the settings in your router as directed. This tricks certain websites into thinking you are in the US. If you have a PC (and connect it to the TV), you could do this, sign up to the international streaming and you're done. About $90 a year IIRC.

I'm also getting a Roku 3 via Amazon (it's on the way at the moment) and will be streaming Netflix and Hulu via that (I can do via HTPC, but it's a bit more friendly via the user interface on the Roku). Hoping to be able to stream the AFL via it at some point too.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks Joel & Wokko.

So, I've decided what's needed with all the excellent advice.

I'll kidnap a 10 year old & get them to set up what I need Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: