Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Moderating posts/deleting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 pm
Post subject: Moderating posts/deletingReply with quote

Just a suggestion for mods when they delete content. Maybe edit the offending post or content of post and leave a brief message as to why you've removed what you have. It's downright confusing trying to find a post you know you made and it's just gone.

Something along the lines of this:

Bootsma sent pics of his johnson to a girl who was *Removed allegation of illegal conduct, please refrain from making allegations on Nick's*. His girlfriend is pregnant in hospital too.

This way the person's post is intact but the reason for needing to moderate it is obvious and lets the person know not to repeat it. Same goes if a whole post does need to go for some reason :

*Post removed due to abuse*

Much more helpful than just removing it.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree whole heartedly and have made the same suggestion numerous times. It also sets an example for others to see which reinforces the particular rule.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm all for it. It should be noted that the moderators already do this sometimes—you know, something like "<snip - please be respectful to other members when posting>"—but obviously sometimes posts do just disappear without explanation and this has happened to me too. I guess the moderators only have so much disposable time, but a bit more transparency wouldn't hurt and would possibly only help reiterate the rules for those who are either unaware of them or habitually flout them. I think I can speak for many of us when I say that I'd appreciate the mods following this approach more often.
i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:23 pm

if its edited/censored, its only fair the person knows 1 - that they have been edited/censored and 2 - why.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:34 pm

I'll discuss it with the other mods.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bucks5 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:36 pm

People should also know why their messages were deleted.

Mods just need to remove all the text and replace it with an explanation as to why the message was removed instead of deleting all trace of the message.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:48 am

The Seedsmeister wrote:
People should also know why their messages were deleted.

Mods just need to remove all the text and replace it with an explanation as to why the message was removed instead of deleting all trace of the message.

In a perfect world yes, but come on mate, if a post of yours gets deleted it means it wasn't up to scratch pretty much, or you quoted a questionable post, we're pretty lenient compared to most, we just don't have the time to explain every decision we make.

Anything racial will be deleted, and denigrating fags is frowned upon as well.

You like this.
Bucks5 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:03 am

Shouldn't a post only be deleted if it breaks the rules? What is the 'not up to scratch' rule?? I wonder if they are posts that seemly gets deleted because a mod just disagrees with your opinion.

The mods should have some accountability and provide justification why they delete posts.

I am not buying into the we don't have time argument unless you are deleting large volumes of posts... I am not suggesting you give an elaborate explanation, just enough to let us know why, eg. <post deleted too much abuse>, <post deleted - off topic>, etc.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Not sure that's a good idea, why should people have to read through why your post got deleted? Just trust that your post was judged either off topic, offensive or abusive, surely it wouldn't be that hard to figure out? If you think you were unfairly dealt with then pm the mods, no one wants to read the pissing and moaning. Not saying it's you but it does happen
Bucks5 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Frankie, you should only need to read the first few words at most and if the Mods put their comments in angled brackets and italics, you could skip over them completely. I have no idea how many messages get deleted, but it couldn't be more than 1 in every 10 or so... That is like 2 per page.

I'm not really fussed but I get tired of hearing others accuse a certain mod of deleting posts for petty reasons. Personally, I only recall only one post of mine being deleted for no apparent reason. However, it was an attempt at humour so I figured the joke just went over the Mod's head, but it wouldn't have broken any rule as it wasn't abusive or rude.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Trouble is if we remove one post we need to remove every post that quoted it, giving a reason would be very time consuming.

You like this.
Bucks5 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Couldn't you just Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V over the quoted section of the other posts? It seems quite mean to delete all of someone's post because of an embedded quote, especially for someone has who put a significant amount of effort into their contribution.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:26 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
Couldn't you just Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V over the quoted section of the other posts? It seems quite mean to delete all of someone's post because of an embedded quote, especially for someone has who put a significant amount of effort into their contribution.

As mods we pull more than our fair share of chicks, time is a luxury we just don't have.

I'm a self appointed mod BTW, just taking the piss really, but if you start a petition to mod me up I will gladly take the time to explain my post deletions. Very Happy

You like this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:21 pm

How about when you get a little gentle "friendly" unofficial warning from a Mod via a PM but your PM Privileges have been removed so you cannot reply to said mod after an earlier exchange!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: