Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Which players will be under the pump?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

regan is true fullback wrote:
This man White is a quite serviceable second ruckman, similar to Lynch and Leigh Brown (Brown without the terrifying of opposition) therefore he is like Macaffer, one of those spare parts you have lying around. He can kick the odd goal, but he has not as yet imposed himself on a contest.

So I would be reluctant in this time of transition to get rid of him. People have lamented the absence of a third ruckman if something happens to Witts or the Samurai, but with Jessie, you have a reasonable insurance policy

White's problem is that as we seem destined to play both Witts and Grundy in most games, alongside Reid up forward, there is virtually no room for White. He's good to have on our list, but with 2 blossoming ruckman, there's no room in the team for a 3rd.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:01 pm

^ Think both Witts and Grundy will be rested throughout the season.
Why burn them out come finals time. White will be the alternative

Plus insurance in case one gets injured

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:09 pm

neil wrote:
^ Think both Witts and Grundy will be rested throughout the season.
Why burn them out come finals time. White will be the alternative

Plus insurance in case one gets injured

Agreed.
Dr. Jinx 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Whites problem is he cant mark, add that to his game and he'll be very very useful
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:43 pm

The more I think about it, there's quite a few of our established players who will be under severe pressure to hold their spots in our best 22 next year.

White
Dwyer
Thomas
Blair
Toovey
Goldsack
Fasolo
Brown

By season's end I hope these players will have forced their way into our best 22:

Freeman
Sharenberg
De Goey
Marsh
Karnezis
Maynard
Kennedy
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:02 am

^^ tend to agree Rudey. Think players like White, Blair and Goldsack you know what you get but it would be nice to see guys who offer more than a capacity to fill a role come through and take their spots.

Think the others are generally guys who've struggled with injuries and they'll certainly be under pressure for a senior spot with so many kids gunning for the positions.

Then there will be others like Young and Armstrong who were recruited as coverage, and even Gault who'll need to show some real improvement.

Ultimately, given the age profile of our squad, I would not expect too many changes to the list at the end of 2015 season but that will still equate to 5-6 players moving on.
Warbler 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 pm

I'd have to rate White as a failure , who should have been delisted & maybe Rookie listed at best .

Fasolo would also have to be on very thin ice .

We have a great record with our Rookie selections , so here's hoping this year is no exception .

I can't see Sharenberg being in our senior best 22 , as I think the club will go very carefully with him .

Rude boy , I'd add Crisp to the list of players who I'd like to see playing Senior footy by years end .

Mostly I'd like us to get through the year without an injury list like we had last year .

GO PIES
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:09 pm

I think we can put White in the "Leigh Brown role fails" basket, but I qualify that by saying IF he can't play as a true 3rd tall forward. Fact is he's been playing as a true KPF with the second best defender on him.

If we can get Reid or someone else to take the second best defender and White is still struggling then that experiment is over, but I'd like to see him play in his proper position first.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:27 am

Wokko wrote:
I think we can put White in the "Leigh Brown role fails" basket, but I qualify that by saying IF he can't play as a true 3rd tall forward. Fact is he's been playing as a true KPF with the second best defender on him.

If we can get Reid or someone else to take the second best defender and White is still struggling then that experiment is over, but I'd like to see him play in his proper position first.

It's not the second best defender who beats White; it's White who beats himself by losing concentration and drifting out of the action and not applying tackling pressure. That's why Buckley moved White into the ruck at times. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with him another year, because Moore won't be up to it next season and I would prefer to send Reid back to CHB to protect him from getting injured again. If Gault comes on I would prefer him to take White's place. Our forward line would then have the following look:
DeGoey Cloke Elliot
Karnezis Gault Fasolo
That's a forward line of each forward capable of kicking 2 goals a game.
That's 12 goals a game plus what the mids can kick.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:10 am

White certainly deserves another go - with Reid up forward and CLoke he gets to play the role he was recruited for. Clearly with Witts and Grundy improving the pressure will be on White to keep his spot though! I suspect Gault and especially Moore are a year or two away from serious consideration.

I think Young is under the pump from the likes of Seedsman, Varcoe and maybe even Crisp.

Also under the pump is Blair - although not mentioned by others Broomhead is really putting his hand up and De Goey might even be a chance for a run up forward.

Dwyer I suspect will struggle with quite a few younger guys looking for the mid/forward role - He weill need some luck or lift to a new level to retain his spot. Thomas and Kennedy need to be pushing him out by years end or they will find themselves under the spotlight if not the pump!

Not under the pump but needing to play their best are Toovey and Goldy… they offer some seniority which will be crucial next year - Goldy has flexibility and Tooves pace - but given we have lost H and plenty of experience with Maxy and Ball we need a few older heads about.

Love that HF Line…
DeGoey Cloke Elliot (Class)

would prefer/expect a FF line of…
Broomhead Reid White (with Faz on the bench)

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:14 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Wokko wrote:

It's not the second best defender who beats White; it's White who beats himself by losing concentration and drifting out of the action and not applying tackling pressure. That's why Buckley moved White into the ruck at times. Unfortunately I think we're stuck with him another year, because Moore won't be up to it next season and I would prefer to send Reid back to CHB to protect him from getting injured again. If Gault comes on I would prefer him to take White's place. Our forward line would then have the following look:
DeGoey Cloke Elliot
Karnezis Gault Fasolo

Agree with this. I think people who are assessing White as a fail were perhaps expecting too much. He was always a hot and cold fringe player at Sydney and it's illogical to think he'd ever offer more at the Pies. His ruckwork is generally very good and he shows glimpses of what he's cabable of up forward and around the ground so hopefully he can turn it on more consistently in 2015 given he should be more settled. Even then you wouldn't expect him to be a match winner every week.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Wokko wrote:

This.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:08 pm

jackcass wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Wokko wrote:

DeGoey Cloke Elliot
Karnezis Gault Fasolo

Agree with this. I think people who are assessing White as a fail were perhaps expecting too much. He was always a hot and cold fringe player at Sydney and it's illogical to think he'd ever offer more at the Pies. His ruckwork is generally very good and he shows glimpses of what he's cabable of up forward and around the ground so hopefully he can turn it on more consistently in 2015 given he should be more settled. Even then you wouldn't expect him to be a match winner every week.

I don't care if White only gets 5 possessions and doesn't kick a goal, as long as he uses his body and contests the footy and directs the play to a forward in a better position than himself who then kicks the goal. I know White was a late starter to AFL but it's about time he starts to use his body and natural talent to show a little leadership out on the field for the younger guys who need his maturity. If he can't do that I wouldn't have him in the side. Karnezis and Gault then become better options, while Moore needs time to grow into his body.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Clinton Young will star next year.

yes, by round 3 he will be completely on song and dominating all comers. then he will do a length of the ground dash at full speed and maybe kick goal of the year at the same time.......However, in that play, he will tear his hamstring and we'll never hear from him again......

Bolsheviki 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:43 am

Sinclair - Been at the club since 2011 and never been in the best 22.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: