Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Line up for a spot

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:37 am
Post subject: Line up for a spotReply with quote

With three newbies arriving and only really Tommy Langdon & Jon Marsh playing any
significant ammount of games one would hope the competition for AFL side will be
fierce.from last years and the new four.
IMO Darcy may get a try reasonably quick and DH seems to think De Goey may see AFL
action.
Dont know why but i,m a wrap for Freeman cracking it for AFL games too.
So small & medium "regulars" you are on notice to improve and perform

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, the four new kids will be pushing hard for the earliest possible opportunity in the ones. Moore could do just about anything, he's been training hard for a month and seems to be fitting in nicely, I swear he already looks bigger than he was in his draft reel. I didn't think he would play in 2015, but mainly coz he just looked too skinny to take the field with grown men. He's certainly not the old fashioned type of tall who took 4 years before getting a game, and if he works hard enough and then shows something in the NAB 'challenge' thingy, he might just get a run in 2015.
Maynard and De-Goey are both solid and hard-at-it, and both are a shot at a Rd.1 selection if they impress in the NAB. If the kicking skills of these 3 are anything like as advertised they are needed badly. Goodyear I think will have to wait a bit longer and rack up several impressive games in the Magoos before the call-up comes. We also have Greenwood likely to play Rd.1, and Freeman training the house down, so theres two more likely starters. Sweeper and Gault will need to impress to hold their Rd. 24 spots, and god alone knows what Jack Crisp might do. Varcoe is already a senior player like Greenwood and would be expected to be working toward a Rd.1 start, but of course thats 7 guys looking to break into a side that has maybe 2 or 3 spots to fill. We also have at least half a dozen kids who missed most of last year due to form or injury, so there's Sinclair, Fasolo, BenKen, JT, Ramsay, Karnezis, Marsh, and Armstrong looking to make the grade. Of our last senior team there's really only Dasher Young that will need to work hard to keep his spot so the competition for places is certainly going to be furious. Of course, even if our three-year injury hoodoo comes to an end we're going to lose one or two players, thats just the game, so that will provide opportunities, but there's still too many talented players for 22 spots.
And that's where we need to be. In 2010 and 2011 we had guys constantly pushing for selection, keeping the pressure right on the guys on the park. What doesn't help is Buckley's extremely conservative selection process which really limited opportunities for hard work and hot performances in the Magoos, that cost us a real talent in Kyle Martin, and will cost us more if things don't change. It's like Buckley wants to do everything the opposite way Mick did, he used to play 'horses for courses', a plan that worked brilliantly and also provided plenty of opportunities for youngsters. Bucks wants to play the same guys every week whether they deserve their spot or not, a disastrous policy which has to change if we are to be competitive in 2015. If Corey Gault had been played before the last game he might have been very useful, as it was he and Sweeper only got a run because of injuries. That's not gonna work, guys need to know that if they show enough they'll be given a shot. Kyle Martin was in brilliant form late in 2014, racking up BOGs week after week in the twos, when he finally got a shot against Port he was given one quarter and told to crash packs which he did, but in a crowded forward line wasnt able to do much and was dropped the following week. What's the point in giving a kid one quarter?! BenKen found himself in a similar position, brought in due to injuries and dropped the next week.
Hopefully his success in giving Sweeper a proper go made him see the light.
There needs to be reward for effort, when that does't happen morale goes down the dunny. If Buckley can't keep morale up in 2015 it will be another wasted season. Right now morale is excellent, if every player knows he has to perform to keep his spot it will stay that way.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:44 am

I think Kennedy & Adams will take a big step this year & we will see gradual improvement from Broomhead, Frost, Witts & Grundy.
I hope Marley gets some midfield time as he is hard as a cats head & has an incredible side step. Looking forward to seeing more of Freeman & Marsh as well. Would be nice for Reid & Swan to have uninterrupted years as well. Future is bright.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks 35 Forever taking my brief apraisal and putting up an excellent
2015 overveiw of progress/improvements
IMHO believe we will take big steps in 2015 which may not result in a GF berth
but the building blocks for sustained sucsess look very promising
Chinese say a long journey starts with a single step (or some thing like that)
and all us Pie folks will see it happen

leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:35 am

pardon my ignorance, but who's 'sweeper'?
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:36 am

35forever wrote:
Absolutely, the four new kids will be pushing hard for the earliest possible opportunity in the ones. Moore could do just about anything, he's been training hard for a month and seems to be fitting in nicely, I swear he already looks bigger than he was in his draft reel. I didn't think he would play in 2015, but mainly coz he just looked too skinny to take the field with grown men. He's certainly not the old fashioned type of tall who took 4 years before getting a game, and if he works hard enough and then shows something in the NAB 'challenge' thingy, he might just get a run in 2015.
Maynard and De-Goey are both solid and hard-at-it, and both are a shot at a Rd.1 selection if they impress in the NAB. If the kicking skills of these 3 are anything like as advertised they are needed badly. Goodyear I think will have to wait a bit longer and rack up several impressive games in the Magoos before the call-up comes. We also have Greenwood likely to play Rd.1, and Freeman training the house down, so theres two more likely starters. Sweeper and Gault will need to impress to hold their Rd. 24 spots, and god alone knows what Jack Crisp might do. Varcoe is already a senior player like Greenwood and would be expected to be working toward a Rd.1 start, but of course thats 7 guys looking to break into a side that has maybe 2 or 3 spots to fill. We also have at least half a dozen kids who missed most of last year due to form or injury, so there's Sinclair, Fasolo, BenKen, JT, Ramsay, Karnezis, Marsh, and Armstrong looking to make the grade. Of our last senior team there's really only Dasher Young that will need to work hard to keep his spot so the competition for places is certainly going to be furious. Of course, even if our three-year injury hoodoo comes to an end we're going to lose one or two players, thats just the game, so that will provide opportunities, but there's still too many talented players for 22 spots.
And that's where we need to be. In 2010 and 2011 we had guys constantly pushing for selection, keeping the pressure right on the guys on the park. What doesn't help is Buckley's extremely conservative selection process which really limited opportunities for hard work and hot performances in the Magoos, that cost us a real talent in Kyle Martin, and will cost us more if things don't change. It's like Buckley wants to do everything the opposite way Mick did, he used to play 'horses for courses', a plan that worked brilliantly and also provided plenty of opportunities for youngsters. Bucks wants to play the same guys every week whether they deserve their spot or not, a disastrous policy which has to change if we are to be competitive in 2015. If Corey Gault had been played before the last game he might have been very useful, as it was he and Sweeper only got a run because of injuries. That's not gonna work, guys need to know that if they show enough they'll be given a shot. Kyle Martin was in brilliant form late in 2014, racking up BOGs week after week in the twos, when he finally got a shot against Port he was given one quarter and told to crash packs which he did, but in a crowded forward line wasnt able to do much and was dropped the following week. What's the point in giving a kid one quarter?! BenKen found himself in a similar position, brought in due to injuries and dropped the next week.
Hopefully his success in giving Sweeper a proper go made him see the light.
There needs to be reward for effort, when that does't happen morale goes down the dunny. If Buckley can't keep morale up in 2015 it will be another wasted season. Right now morale is excellent, if every player knows he has to perform to keep his spot it will stay that way.

You've certainly got me confused 35??? Might start calling you "Toxic Tony".The way you bagged the boys last year year you'd think another 7 players would comfortably squeeze into the team??,but just like our PM you seem to have"Changed your mind"??
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 am

leonmagic wrote:

presumably broomy.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:53 am

Line up for a spot

Where do I queue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IvWoQplqXQ

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:06 pm

leonmagic wrote:

It's Tim Broomhead.

It was a nickname some suggested when he was first drafted by the club back in 2012. It never caught on by the sounds of it.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Excuse me Mister Mudlark, you wanna have another look at that statement!?!?
"Bagged the Boys?!?!" I do not, have not, and will not ever "Bag the Boys"!
After the 2013 season ended, and after this season ended I called for the replacement of our senior coach, and I still don't think he is a very good coach. But show me where I've ever bagged a player. I don't ever do that and despise those who do. For me Collingwood players are royalty, and always have been. If you've bled on the Black and White you are a cut above ordinary folk as far as I'm concerned, and my loyalty doesn't suddenly disappear if you play for another club for whatever reason.
I suggest you check your facts before casting aspersions.

And yes, Sweeper is Tim Broomhead. You seriously couldnt work that out? Actually I've heard it used a bit and thought it was what we were calling him, if its not the case I'll desist. Do we have a nickname for him? We've been awfully slack on the nickname front in recent years, lets lift our game!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: