Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Shield round abandoned. Hughes in hospital.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As a slow/med swing bowler and left arm spinner I relied on people NOT being scared of the ball and trying to go the tonk.

As for batting, the ball terrified the hell out of me, especially as a 9-11 batsman Laughing
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:19 pm

I used to do well as a tail ender in juniors (who didn't bowl, was 8 years old playing u14s)), was just making up the numbers pretty much, but what I found is the fast bowlers were pretty much spent by the time I got in and I took full advantage, the hardness of the ball also resembled a tennis ball as well. Very Happy

Was a different story when the top order collapsed though lol.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.

Last edited by Bob Sugar on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:26 pm

I was never actually scared of the ball, as a wanna be fast bowler and batsman of limited ability, back in the days before helmets I got conked on the face playing at high school.

Old fashioned compo ball which was as hard as a cats head, concrete pitch, missed pull shot, copped the ball right where the corner of the right eye meets the bridge of the nose. Broke that bridge and pushed the top of my nose nearly 10mm toward my left eye.

Did a bit of the Hughesy in that I copped the hit, processed it for a second or so then dropped to my knees as the blood fountain started.

These days I shudder to think how it would have been dealt with and what the repercussions were. Back then I got given a wet face washer and told to man up, but they did call my mum to come get me and I needed day surgery to relocate my nose to where it was supposed to be.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:34 pm

i hear you re batting as a tail ender. i was never a fan of the ball when either batting or fielding.

anyway, here's hoping hughes makes a quick recovery.

Az 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Was widely tipped to be coming back into the test team for Pup now he's done his hammy. Real shame, hope he pulls through okay and is hitting boundaries again.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:59 am

All 3 matches have been abandoned.

Teams have received one point for this round of Shield matches.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 pm

From Cricinfo:

Cricket Australia has elected to abandon the full round of Sheffield Shield matches after the critical injury suffered by Phillip Hughes on day one of the match between New South Wales and South Australia in Sydney.

That game was abandoned as soon as Hughes was taken to St Vincent's Hospital, and after deliberations between CA and the Australian Cricketers Association, it has been decided that it would not be fair or appropriate to continue the matches between Victoria and Western Australia in Melbourne or Tasmania and Queensland in Hobart.

"We've spoken to players and the ACA, and given how players across the country are feeling right now, it's just not the day to be playing cricket and we understand that," CA's team performance manager Pat Howard said. "We are continuing to offer all players and match officials counselling and support at this difficult time.

"Phillip Hughes continues to receive the best possible medical care. The thoughts of his teammates and the wider cricket community are with Phillip and his family and friends."

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Wokko wrote:
Getting hit in the back of the head is the worst possible place to get hit. There's a reason it's illegal in pretty much all combat sports. It's also what kills the people who get 'king hit' when they hit the footpath/gutter falling backwards.

I really hope he's alright.

Spot on Wokko. The fact that it appears Hughes got hit in the back of the head accidentally is shocking and the worst type of head injury a person can sustain. The way he got injured almost resembles a king hit strangely enough.

Going by the latest news reports, it's very concerning to hear that his condition hasn't improved in the last 24 hours.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:25 pm

From cricket.com.au

First Test should go ahead: Border

Australian great believes individuals should be given choice to play

Former national captain Allan Border believes the first Test between Australia and India on December 4 should go ahead, but it would be a personal decision for individual players whether they take part.

The prospect of a four-Test series against India due to start in Brisbane in seven days has become trivial for Australia's best cricketers, with Phillip Hughes remaining in a critical condition at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney.

More: Hughes still in critical condition

Captain Michael Clarke and vice-captain Brad Haddin have been among the many Test players to regularly visit Hughes following Tuesday's freak accident.

First Test squad members Haddin, David Warner, Shane Watson and Nathan Lyon were all in the field for NSW when Hughes slumped to the ground at the SCG after being struck by a short-pitched delivery.

"There will be guys, particularly the guys that were out on the field at the time that are named in the Test squad, they mightn't be feeling like playing cricket at the moment," Border told Fox Sports.

"You'd understand if they wanted to pull out. But I think the game should go ahead.

"We're all a bit numb at the moment.

"I get the feeling that Phillip would want the game to go ahead. But if the individuals don't feel up it, then so be it."

Former Test cricketer Damien Martyn took to social media to say consideration should be given to postponing the Brisbane Test.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:56 pm

Sounds like what he Suffered is the Same that people Die from Coward Punches
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: