Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Big Group to run Pies new social club at Westpac Centre

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

1061 wrote:
We have the Pubs for cheap meals and drinks.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/club/venues

But the Club is too scared to actually brand the Pubs as owned by The Collingwood Football Club so whats the use in traveling the extra distance and supporting them. Much like Olympic Park you wouldn't know if was a Football Clubs HQ if you didn't know.

When my friend questioned Eddie a few years back at the AGM re Social Club where we could go for meals and drinks like at Vic Park... the reply from Eddie was there are 100 venues in Melbourne for that sort of thing.... I just hope he has changed his mind abt what he said.... We want a Social Club for us members and not for every Tom Dick and Harry.... thank you so much!

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:31 pm

I was there that night and I feel that comments of this nature by Eddie were quite disparaging and alienating. At one point from Eddies perspective, it was all about what we could do for the club. There was no perceived view that members pay their money and expect to get access to certain facilities such as a social club. In reflection I think his attitude was tainted by the poor financial situation the club was in at the time and the ever growing adverse impact of the pub deals on our bottom line.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:36 pm

The other issue is that we cannot continually increase our spend on the football department due to the new AFL equalisation tax. The club will continue to make large profits and they will be in an excellent financial position. Now IS the time under these circumstance to value add the memberships and give the members who have been deprived of a social club for so long some real value for money.

It is all well and good paying out the bucks to be a social club member for years but it is a little hollow when we have no social club.

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
The other issue is that we cannot continually increase our spend on the football department due to the new AFL equalisation tax. The club will continue to make large profits and they will be in an excellent financial position. Now IS the time under these circumstance to value add the memberships and give the members who have been deprived of a social club for so long some real value for money.

It is all well and good paying out the bucks to be a social club member for years but it is a little hollow when we have no social club.

Exactly! and I really hope it eventuates...

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:15 pm

In fairness to the club, if the social club was anything like Nicks all in Brawls would be the norm.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Arch@M32 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Defender wrote:
In fairness to the club, if the social club was anything like Nicks all in Brawls would be the norm.

At least the club wouldn't need to fork out for entertainment.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:47 pm

A tweet today provided this information.
The new Collingwood facility will provide:
•a community gym
•heath & wellness centre
•change rooms/locker rooms & showers
•multi-purpose function, event and conference rooms
•presentation theatre
•cafe with outdoor pergola, seating and bike parking

I guess the function rooms (Glasshouse) will be the Social Club on match days and at other times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:58 pm

What exactly is a Community Gym considering where the place is located what community will actually be catered for?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
A tweet today provided this information.
The new Collingwood facility will provide:
•a community gym
•heath & wellness centre
•change rooms/locker rooms & showers
•multi-purpose function, event and conference rooms
•presentation theatre
•cafe with outdoor pergola, seating and bike parking

I guess the function rooms (Glasshouse) will be the Social Club on match days and at other times.

A cafe with an outside pergola.
What a joke!
And a barn for a multi function room
where they will herd the faithful in and no doubt
herd them out again when THEY deem appropriate.
Eddie you have no fricken idea.
Enjoy your useless new social club.
Maybe I will lend my kelpie to the club to herd
the sheep in and out.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:57 pm

This is the classic corporate vision.
A health and well being centre?
A community gym?
We want a ripper of a Social Club
that bleeds Collingwood!
But we get a corporate philanthropic vision that pretends
to touch the masses.

i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:38 pm

i want a pie warmer

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Footy clubs tread a fine line between providing for their supporters and sponsors whilst hopefully making maximum profits. A modern social club is a different beast to those of the past. In the 50, 60s pubs closed at 6 and restaurant culture was the local Chinese takeaway shop. Social Clubs were community gathering places. Nowadays people don't live near their clubs and have many more entertainment options.

I've mentioned it here before, but in the 90s, the Vic Park social club was largely empty most days and nights save for a few pokies players. That place was unprofitable and nobody went their to eat or to celebrate other than on match days.

Our new social club will be a state of the art function centre. I presume it will be a popular corporate/work function centre as well as a place for private celebrations like weddings, parties etc. As such, it will be a money spinner. Any half way decent catering outfit couldn't help but do well in this location with its great views.

It won't be an exclusive social club that many have been asking for, but it will be a place we can go to watch training, eat and drink before and after games and hopefully make a lot of money for the club. It would be nice to have some memorabilia around at least certain sections of the place too.

The wellness centre and community gym, change-rooms and locker rooms were part of the plan that got us over $35 million in funding. The Labor Rudd government gave $10 million with Olympic Park Trust and Brumby State Govt adding $11 million. Collingwood was reported to be adding $10 million and the rest through sponsorship. That was the plan anyhow, not sure if the carve-up went ahead like that.

The State and Federal funding was predicated upon community groups having access to the running track, gyms and oval when Collingwood was not using it.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04 pm

This is the classic pig with lipstick.
The club is rich enough to get a decent
social club together.
I already outlined what I wanted and nobody here
said anything negative.
Neil I don't want a corporate space.
I and many others want OUR space.
Not a multi functional one dimensional
characterless space that has no meaning to me.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:54 pm

The info I provided came from a brochure. I was just passing it along, but I do think the club will do the right thing by its members on this score. The brochure features a coloured artist's impression that now makes sense when we see the shape of the current building. Unfortunately I couldn't attach it; this is an area of Nick's I just can't master. Attaching pics seems such a chore; can't we make it a bit easier?
Hang on....I'll try again. Naa.....can't get it below 100KB which looks tiny on my screen. Take my word for it, it looks pretty good Razz

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:11 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
This is the classic pig with lipstick.
The club is rich enough to get a decent
social club together.
I already outlined what I wanted and nobody here
said anything negative.
Neil I don't want a corporate space.
I and many others want OUR space.
Not a multi functional one dimensional
characterless space that has no meaning to me.

Well said. You nailed it. See the opponents and corporate apologists on here only want to recite the negatives about Victoria Park. Not once did they mention the atmosphere and sales figures of our Social Club on a match day Saturday afternoon. Of course not.

See our Social Club started having mid week profitability issues when the word was getting out that our true home ground had a shelf life. And then the AFL started randomly pulling our fixtured home games away from us to the MCG due to bullcrap justifications like capacity demands. The analogy is accurately compared with Ford and Holden car sales over the last five years in Australia. Announcing the slow death of these manufacturing plants had car buyers lose confidence in the product. They killed Victoria Park. It was and could have been a magnificent success with the right football leadership. Instead we got the corporate 'fans and club tradition count for nothing' types. Now look. Fans amenities play second fiddle to their central stale vain corporate facilities model.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: