Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our young mids

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually reckon Elliott will be that A grader.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 pm
Post subject: Re: Our young midsReply with quote

E wrote:
Defender wrote:
Does anyone see a future Pendles like A+ grader amongst them? Because I dont, I think they're all talented but I'm not seeing anyone we can build a midfield around, yet some think we need to spend pick 5 (along with the Moore pick) on a tall.

I keep hearing "who's going to take over from Cloke when he retires", but who's going to replace Pendles and Swan? Shaza looks more of a utility to me, Broomy looks like a natural forward and I'm not sure Thomas or Kennedy have the ability to become the top dogs in the midfield, not sure about Freeman TBH but I'm hopeful.

Let me tell you a little story about how I got the name E.

In 2007-2008, many people on a Collingwood website I posted on (Extreme Black N White) were bemoaning the fact that we had no elite midfielders (elite was the word we all used back than rather than A-Graders). We had a good side but what was going to hold us back was the absence of any elite midfielders.

I kept saying that we had a lot of young kids who had a good shot of being A Graders and were well on the way. Thomas, Pendles and Swan were three. all they needed was a good ruckman). I also thought Leon Davis was also close to being one as well.

I was mocked so much for this view that in defiance I renamed myself Elite Midfielders. I later shortened that to Elite as the battle raged on.

Finally, when everyone eventually accepted that our side was chock full of elite mids (and that our midfield was, in fact, our strength), I decided my job was done and I reverted to the name you all now know and love "E".

Too true, even Pendles wasn't considered a top 10 prospect prior to the draft, and very few make the jump to elite or a-grade in their first season or 2, and for every one that does you can cite a dozen or more who've taken longer to establish themselves.

Modern society just seems to require immediate results and/or gratification.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:28 pm

jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
Defender wrote:
Does anyone see a future Pendles like A+ grader amongst them? Because I dont, I think they're all talented but I'm not seeing anyone we can build a midfield around, yet some think we need to spend pick 5 (along with the Moore pick) on a tall.

I keep hearing "who's going to take over from Cloke when he retires", but who's going to replace Pendles and Swan? Shaza looks more of a utility to me, Broomy looks like a natural forward and I'm not sure Thomas or Kennedy have the ability to become the top dogs in the midfield, not sure about Freeman TBH but I'm hopeful.

In 2007-2008, many people on a Collingwood website I posted on (Extreme Black N White) were bemoaning the fact that we had no elite midfielders (elite was the word we all used back than rather than A-Graders). We had a good side but what was going to hold us back was the absence of any elite midfielders.

I kept saying that we had a lot of young kids who had a good shot of being A Graders and were well on the way. Thomas, Pendles and Swan were three. all they needed was a good ruckman). I also thought Leon Davis was also close to being one as well.

I was mocked so much for this view that in defiance I renamed myself Elite Midfielders. I later shortened that to Elite as the battle raged on.

Finally, when everyone eventually accepted that our side was chock full of elite mids (and that our midfield was, in fact, our strength), I decided my job was done and I reverted to the name you all now know and love "E".

Too true, even Pendles wasn't considered a top 10 prospect prior to the draft, and very few make the jump to elite or a-grade in their first season or 2, and for every one that does you can cite a dozen or more who've taken longer to establish themselves.

Fact is we still know very little about the mids we've drafted over the last 2 seasons, injuries and illness haven't been kind, the point I was trying to make is regarding the upcoming draft, as in have we done enough to ensure our midfield will be in good shape over the next decade.

Can we afford to use our 2 prime picks this year on talls considering we've just lost our second best mid?

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:05 am

Defender wrote:
jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
Defender wrote:

Fact is we still know very little about the mids we've drafted over the last 2 seasons, injuries and illness haven't been kind, the point I was trying to make is regarding the upcoming draft, as in have we done enough to ensure our midfield will be in good shape over the next decade.

Can we afford to use our 2 prime picks this year on talls considering we've just lost our second best mid?

i think we can, yes. I think club would prefer a mid, but if Wright slips, we gotta take him. Could lead to two top 10 draft picks next year (see the Boyd example). collect great assets. who knows who will be next years beams and if we have a Wright to give them, maybe you get your mid in the end.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
I actually reckon Elliott will be that A grader.

Yep he will become one as well.

Freeman, Elliott and hopefully ShazzaBerg when fit all will become top liners.

I also think Broomhead will too as a flanker if he sticks around bit edgy bout him heading back to SA in a few seasons.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:25 pm

It's too early to determine who'll be our next A-grade midfielder after the likes of Pendles and Swan come to the end of their careers or start fizzling out.

I think Nathan Freeman is one to seriously look out for, but because he hasn't played yet some may be overlooking his serious potential. Nevertheless if we develop our core future midfielders well then we'll be fine. Who would have thought Pendles or Swan would lead our midfield about two or three years into their careers and then go onto become superstars of the team and of the competition as well.

We're in rebuild mode and as such we need to be patient and see how things transpire in our development phase.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: