Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rate the crossbenchers

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:36 pm
Post subject: Rate the crossbenchersReply with quote

With the federal government relying on independent and minor party senators to get legislation passed, I thought it'd be interesting to look back and review their performance and see who's lived up to expectations, who's disappointed and who's impressed.

David Leyonhjelm (LDP): 7/10. You can be alarmed by his fundamentalist interpetration of libertarianism (including supporting massively reduced taxes, opposition to carbon emission schemes and general gun nuttery), and I haven't forgotten the dodgy means by which he gained his seat, but on the issues that matter—national security laws, data retention, same-sex marriage, some of the more draconian measures in the budget—he's been one of the few people with the courage to stand up to the government and cowardly opposition. I don't agree with much of his politics, but he's doing exactly what a crossbencher should be doing: providing a unique, principled and consistent voice in the senate. It's actually kind of refreshing.

Bob Day (Family First): 3/10. Effectively a rubber stamp for the government. Might push the reactionary "family values" stuff a bit harder if his vote was needed, but as it is he's completely ineffectual. Probably for the best.

John Madigan (formerly DLP, now independent): 6/10. Expected another Bob Day; as it is, he's proven himself to be a much more independent thinker, showing up to oppose government legislation at surprising times. A real voice of reason and moderation in the senate, which I have to admit I didn't expect from a hardline anti-abortion, pro-family values traditional Catholic. Perhaps that's why he fell out with his party?

Nick Xenophon (independent): 9/10. I think we all knew what we would be getting with Xenophon, and he hasn't disappointed—a fearless, moderate, intelligent voice in the upper house. If only his party—whatever it is, exactly—was better represented. Would infinitely prefer them holding sway than the Coalition, ALP or Palmer troupe.

Ricky Muir (Motorists): ?/10. Does he exist? Since selling out and becoming a Palmer stooge, I've barely seen him. Perhaps someone else can inform me of his notable achievements (apart from throwing kangaroo poo, of course).

Glenn Lazarus (Palmer): 4/10. As chief Palmer stooge, we can only really judge him on his party's achievements (he, of course, has no independent thought whatsoever, or at least permission to exercise it). That involves collectively waving their arms in the air and shouting "look at us" before effectively caving in and doing what Abbott wants anyway. Professional nuisance, and not in a good way.

Dio Wang (Palmer): 4/10. Greatest act of note so far has been apologising to the Australian Chinese community for his boss (and let's not forget that these guys are literally Clive Palmer's employees) being a colossal oaf. Otherwise, meat in the room.

Jacqui Lambie (Palmer): 1/10. Oh boy, what can you say? Between ranting about Sharia Law on TV, publicly singing 'Validir' Putin's praises and grilling defence force personnel on the likelihood of Islamists bringing ebola into the country, Lambie has been a complete embarrassment who has actually managed to make the other members of her party look mature and responsible in comparison. One of the poorest excuses for a politician to grace parliament in living memory, and a compelling argument against half-senate elections.

What do you think? Would you be happy to see any of the above re-elected? Who—if anyone!—has impressed you?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

it's good that someone is taking notice of them. thanks for that david.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Lambie is the love child of Pauline Hanson and Bob Katter who was dropped on her head as a baby and adopted out to a Tasmanian couple.

Other than that I haven't been paying them too much attention.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm an LDP member, so can't comment on this with any degree of impartiality whatsoever, but I agree with you on Xenophon and Palmer's mob.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Wokko wrote:
I'm an LDP member, so can't comment on this with any degree of impartiality whatsoever, but I agree with you on Xenophon and Palmer's mob.

Does the LDP have any policy solutions related to improving free market access and competition, such as policies countering the anti-free market activities of natural monopoly incumbents?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:06 pm
Post subject: Re: Rate the crossbenchersReply with quote

Sadly, I have no time for details, but in brief, I guess I'd go with:

David Leyonhjelm (LDP): 7/10. Reluctantly, I agree with your mark for him. He is a very dangerous man, a gun fanatic, a hard-line right-wing economic extremist, and like all climate deniers a traitor to humanity, but he has played his cards well and stood alone against some of the more gross anti-democratic stupidites of late.

Bob Day (Family First): 2/10. Waste of space. Has absurd views out of the 1950s, doesn't seem able to articulate them or stand for anything other than religious conservative nuttery - meaning that you wouldn't notice he wasn't just another one of Abbott's loopier goons except that he sits on a different bench from Senators Abetz and Bestiality.

John Madigan (formerly DLP, now independent): 9/10. By far the best of the hard right crowd. Easily duped by psudo-science fruitcakes, but a decent, dedicated and honest man.

Nick Xenophon (independent): 4/10. Wrecked his credibility by supporting Abbott's repeal of the carbon tax. Had earned a great deal of respect until then; still worth some.

Ricky Muir (Motorists): 6/10. A decent ordinary bloke who is making a far better fist of a job he never expected to have than anyone predicted. Not afraid of making his vote count, and although he often votes with the PUP, he is his own man. Like Madigan, he has refused to bow down before the leaders of his own tinpot party and remains determined to make the best decisions he can. Worthy of more respect than he gets.

I won't try to split the Palmer stooges, they just do what Clive pays them to do, except for Jacqui Lambie, who was invented especially so that Sara Palin and Pauline Hanson wouldn't feel so dumb, loud-mouthed and ignorant anymore.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:07 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Does the LDP have any policy solutions related to improving free market access and competition, such as policies countering the anti-free market activities of natural monopoly incumbents?

i think you forgot to append "madam speaker" after that question.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:25 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

I'll do my best here, I'm a member not a candidate.

The LDP is largely focused on free trade and removing regulation to allow market forces to dictate competition rather than government backed monopolies. I'll link to the two areas I think might be of interest, and also to the broader policy platform.

http://www.ldp.org.au/index.php/policies/1146-deregulate-and-privatise

http://www.ldp.org.au/index.php/policies/1153-free-trade

http://www.ldp.org.au/index.php/policies

Keep in mind these are 'layman's terms' kind of policy outlines that you'd find on any political website and the LDP is a rather nascent party (only just registered in VIC).
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:59 pm

xenophon was just on chaser's media circus. seems an intelligent, likeable enough fella.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:32 pm

Mutton dressed up as Lambie.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:35 pm

Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

I'll do my best here, I'm a member not a candidate.

The LDP is largely focused on free trade and removing regulation to allow market forces to dictate competition rather than government backed monopolies. I'll link to the two areas I think might be of interest, and also to the broader policy platform.

http://www.ldp.org.au/index.php/policies/1146-deregulate-and-privatise

http://www.ldp.org.au/index.php/policies/1153-free-trade

http://www.ldp.org.au/index.php/policies

Keep in mind these are 'layman's terms' kind of policy outlines that you'd find on any political website and the LDP is a rather nascent party (only just registered in VIC).

Thanks, very curious how they handle that.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:53 pm

I rate them all 10/10 and love Lambie as she is the modern thinking woman. She knows what she wants and speaks her mind. Australians asked for something different because they hate the major parties and this is what we get. I'm loving it. Razz
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:57 pm

If she's "the modern thinking woman", we have little, as a society, to look forward to.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Yes, I can't help but think an "un-" went missing there somewhere.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:52 am

I was being sarcastic Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: