Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A long way from the AFL and the CFC

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic article!

I'm glad Borussia Dortmund has been recognised as having one of the most passionate and best fan bases in the world. They've had a reputation as being the most passionate for many years but it's only now in their revival in German Football as a great side behind the powerhouse Bayern Munich that this is being recognised by many.

It would be brilliant if Collingwood could resemble this!

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:15 am

I had a few beers with Dortmund fans that champions league final day (I'm not far from Wembley)... a good bunch, and they could drink! A bit gutted for them they didn't win though!
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:27 am

Vic Park is part of our glorious past. We still still maintain a relationship with our VFL side and the club by doing so has maintained its link with the past but it is the past.

The article is fantastic and it is obvious that the Dortmind puts it fans first. That is a long way to the thoughts of the AFL and to Collingwood.

I do not hide the fact that I am a pretty big supporter of Ed and appreciate everything he has done for our club. At the same time I was very concerned when he put a member down at an AGM one year. Ed played the emotion barb that the member concerned should not be making demands of the club and that the club should come first with little consideration of the members needs. I am sure the member concerned left a little humiliated and he had been painted as being selfish and/or disloyal. I certainly left that AGM with some concerns. When you are sinking in debt and fighting for survival as a club that may be the case but those days are well and truly behind us.

Over recent years the tune has changed to a fair extent but I still have the feeling that the club does not give enough back to the membership. I feel that these days the club is a little vanilla in this respect. They make a few sounds but there does not seem a lot of enthusiasm and follow through. The last thing I want is the old style social club that smelt of stale beer and other undesirable fluids. The last thing we need is another poker machine barn sucking out the earnings, life and soul out of our members. At the same time with all the space available at the Westpac centre, despite the promises we seem no closer to having a space to call "ours".

When considering that we are going to have to cut back our football department spending (or be further taxed by the AFL) now is the time for the club to reappraise the situation and reinvest in its membership. Some of our profits need to be reinvested in the members to make them feel appreciated, wanted, valued and catered for.

Earlier in another topic I eluded to the club putting some effort and investing in the Cheer Squad by organising and financing a function before some MCG games so as to bring the group together, make them feel a part of the place, form a sense of comradeship and to help bring them together as a more functional group. Ultimately to generate a bit of enthusiasm and "love".

As far as the members are going we are getting less as the Cocktail party is now a thing of the past as well as organised events held after the games. I still have vivid memories of a night at the Hilton after we beat Carlton. This was an after game function organised by the club. We had come from behind to snatch the win. Eddie got on stage and stirred the crowd and talked with emotion of reaching into the Carlton fans and ripping their hearts out. Those emotions and days with that sense of belonging seem well behind us and a thing of the past.

This I believe can be easily revived by the club but the club, which is the focal point of our supporters, needs to show leadership and needs to recognise that this needs to be done and it is their responsibly to be the catalyst and show true leadership in this area. I am sure that this can be done without great expense being incurred by the club or those attending.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 am

regan is true fullback wrote:
The past is another country...

Remember parking at the brewery because all the car parks were off limits?

Remember parking at Rushall station, the only one with parking, and the train arriving at 2.20pm, just in time to miss the first quarter?

Remember the squashed like sardine feel, and the need to pay double for an elusive seat?

Remember seatlotto on that train back to Princes Bridge then the long walk back to the other train...to anywhere

Remember the trendy council that hated us, and deep down still does.

Merritt and Richardson did some silly things in administration, but getting us as the major tenant at the MCG instead of Waverley was that magic moment. It means that we will never rattle a tin again, attract the corporate loot that Dortmund does and one day soon will rejoin the Hawks and the Moggies as big players on the field.

Great post. Some time the romance is just gone!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Vic Park is part of our glorious past. We still still maintain a relationship with our VFL side and the club by doing so has maintained its link with the past but it is the past.

The article is fantastic and it is obvious that the Dortmind puts it fans first. That is a long way to the thoughts of the AFL and to Collingwood.

I do not hide the fact that I am a pretty big supporter of Ed and appreciate everything he has done for our club. At the same time I was very concerned when he put a member down at an AGM one year. Ed played the emotion barb that the member concerned should not be making demands of the club and that the club should come first with little consideration of the members needs. I am sure the member concerned left a little humiliated and he had been painted as being selfish and/or disloyal. I certainly left that AGM with some concerns. When you are sinking in debt and fighting for survival as a club that may be the case but those days are well and truly behind us.

Over recent years the tune has changed to a fair extent but I still have the feeling that the club does not give enough back to the membership. I feel that these days the club is a little vanilla in this respect. They make a few sounds but there does not seem a lot of enthusiasm and follow through. The last thing I want is the old style social club that smelt of stale beer and other undesirable fluids. The last thing we need is another poker machine barn sucking out the earnings, life and soul out of our members. At the same time with all the space available at the Westpac centre, despite the promises we seem no closer to having a space to call "ours".

When considering that we are going to have to cut back our football department spending (or be further taxed by the AFL) now is the time for the club to reappraise the situation and reinvest in its membership. Some of our profits need to be reinvested in the members to make them feel appreciated, wanted, valued and catered for.

Earlier in another topic I eluded to the club putting some effort and investing in the Cheer Squad by organising and financing a function before some MCG games so as to bring the group together, make them feel a part of the place, form a sense of comradeship and to help bring them together as a more functional group. Ultimately to generate a bit of enthusiasm and "love".

As far as the members are going we are getting less as the Cocktail party is now a thing of the past as well as organised events held after the games. I still have vivid memories of a night at the Hilton after we beat Carlton. This was an after game function organised by the club. We had come from behind to snatch the win. Eddie got on stage and stirred the crowd and talked with emotion of reaching into the Carlton fans and ripping their hearts out. Those emotions and days with that sense of belonging seem well behind us and a thing of the past.

This I believe can be easily revived by the club but the club, which is the focal point of our supporters, needs to show leadership and needs to recognise that this needs to be done and it is their responsibly to be the catalyst and show true leadership in this area. I am sure that this can be done without great expense being incurred by the club or those attending.

That's brilliant. And you share all my concerns! Legend membership ain't cheap but what to do? I want a good seat, and I want to know I can go to the GF if we make it. But I pay the bill grudgingly. And the more they carry on about the membership total, the further away I feel from the club.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Member 7167 wrote:

Great posting Member! Smile

That provides a really good insight into your thoughts about the club on a board level and how you see it catering to its members.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: