Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kiwi fury over nose to nose Haka confrontation!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
Tannin wrote:
The Kiwis are allowed to do their dumb haka, which is a traditional dance designed to intimidate other groups; any group doing likewise right back at them can only be a good thing. What makes the Kiwis think they are the only ones allowed to act like dickheads?

I know you're taking the piss, no harm in that!!!!

But, would you make the same comment about an Aboriginal war dance?????
Yeah, thought not..........

^ Dead wrong. Not taking thet piss at all. I've never seen an "Aboriginal war dance", but I can't see any reason why I would not make the same comment about that, or about Ali's famously stupid posturing before a bout for that matter. Well, apart from the fact that we don't seem to see them so they ain't in your face to the same extent. Is there something that makes them different in essence to a haka?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kVrtaBKDZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw0w2N32xJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZAwMpA3inU

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Monkey 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Tannin wrote:
PS: I have enormous respect for great sportsmen who are decent people - for example, Bradman, McGrath, Flower; none for dickheads like Ali and Botham and Acker who just happen to be good at sport.

PPS: I wouldn't want to ban the Kiwis and their "theatre", but if I was playing against them, I wouldn't pay it any respect whatever. They do it to try to get a psychological advantage. Screw that; the best response it to ignore it. Let then look dumb and do what they want, spend their haka time doing more important stuff like waving to the crowd or tying up your bootlaces.

Pretty disappointing view there Tannin.
Young Maori boys are taught the common version of the Haka as a "rite of passage" type thing.
It's culturally extremely significant, not just "theatre".
Not backing down to it is one thing, is a good thing in fact - but paying no respect by turning your back or the like is a low act.

Agree with you on Ali though - wanker!!
Wanker who convinced everybody he was better than he actually was, he was very good, but nowhere near the greatest.
The idea of boxing is to "hit and not get hit", he just had an incredible chin.

I'd also advise you to read up on Bradman based on the above - great cricketer, but not many who had much to do with him were overly fond of him as a bloke.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Oh, I've read up on Bradman extensively, KM. He was, of course, from the opposite side of the political divide; a natural Tory, very conservative, not my sort at all. But respect where it is due: within the confines of his belief system, everything I've read about his shows that he was kind and brave and loyal and very, very honest. One of the true gentlemen greats.

Sure, he had his detractors, notably Fingleton and O'Reilly (another hero of mine), not to mention a lot of Pommy bastards who just hated his talent and the way he kept smacking them for huge centuries, but on the whole, Bradman's detractors do themselves more damage with their comments than they ever did to the Don's reputation.

He was a very private man, quiet and shy and withdrawn as a rule, but also very determined. Many people took his reserve as arrogance, which it wasn't. He was not a people person, not a party lover, but he was clearly a very fine man - and, of course, the greatest cricketer ever seen. Some people make a strong case, based on his amazing averages as compared to those of all the other greats in his sport, that Bradman was the greatest sportsman of them all, in any sport, and it's certainly true that even head-and-shoulders greats like Babe Ruth and Ali, possibly even Fangio never dominated their chosen sports with averages around double those of their next-best competitors. Bradman stands alone in that regard. Nevertheless, that last claim is probably going a bit far.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Oh FFS the Aussie players linked arms and walked to the halfway line, and a couple even dared step over it, then the Kiwi players advanced on them and did the Haka in their faces. The crowd loved it, I loved it, the players enjoyed doing it and it made for an entertaining spectacle. Hopefully it happens more often.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:42 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/10664415/Reason-Cherish-the-haka-but-respect-rivals

here's a good, reasoned opinion about what happened.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:47 pm

John Wren wrote:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/10664415/Reason-Cherish-the-haka-but-respect-rivals

here's a good, reasoned opinion about what happened.

I honestly can't see a reason why anyone would want to stop that kind of showmanship it was bloody brilliant to watch and both sides were fired up afterwards, and it should be stated the refs handled the situation brilliantly they often get slammed for making a mistake but should be loudly applauded for that.

King Monkey 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:04 pm

Pretty much sums it up JW.
The only one(s) whinging were a silly official or 2.

To reiterate:
Standing up to the Haka - you're doing it right!!
Mocking the Haka - completely disrespectful, and expect retribution!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:25 pm

I'd be expecting something more like ritrubution.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Tannin wrote:
Oh, I've read up on Bradman extensively, KM. He was, of course, from the opposite side of the political divide; a natural Tory, very conservative, not my sort at all. But respect where it is due: within the confines of his belief system, everything I've read about his shows that he was kind and brave and loyal and very, very honest. One of the true gentlemen greats.

Sure, he had his detractors, notably Fingleton and O'Reilly (another hero of mine), not to mention a lot of Pommy bastards who just hated his talent and the way he kept smacking them for huge centuries, but on the whole, Bradman's detractors do themselves more damage with their comments than they ever did to the Don's reputation.

He was a very private man, quiet and shy and withdrawn as a rule, but also very determined. Many people took his reserve as arrogance, which it wasn't. He was not a people person, not a party lover, but he was clearly a very fine man - and, of course, the greatest cricketer ever seen. Some people make a strong case, based on his amazing averages as compared to those of all the other greats in his sport, that Bradman was the greatest sportsman of them all, in any sport, and it's certainly true that even head-and-shoulders greats like Babe Ruth and Ali, possibly even Fangio never dominated their chosen sports with averages around double those of their next-best competitors. Bradman stands alone in that regard. Nevertheless, that last claim is probably going a bit far.

Coff Walter Lindrum coff.

Otherwise agree with what you say.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Where did you take them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: