Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ban on Cage Fighting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy in the police chase yesterday is pro cage fighting. Very Happy Shocked Laughing
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:13 pm

laird wrote:

Pure rage and power! Tyson was beaten only by himself.

Like most boxers, he eventually bit off more than he could chew
Museman 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:15 pm

King Monkey wrote:
^Marco Antonio Barrera stopped him in his tracks quick smart!!
If a fan of the sport, for pure entertainment, look up the first 2 Barrera vs Eric Morales fights. Non-stop action from 2 great fighters. Plenty of technique involved too, not just 2 guys going to-to-toe recklessly. (Mostly.)

laird wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
^Would love to start a discussion of boxing styles.
Loved K.Tszyu's movement; subtle but commanding, controlled the ring like not many I've ever seen.

Keep on going then.

Mike Tyson in his early days leading up to becoming the youngest heavyweight champ was supernatural. It wasn't just his punching power but the way he could slip a punch as if his head was able to slide from side to side. People would jab at him and he'd walk through them without getting hit.

Ali was more than a strong chin and a big mouth. I've got the Rumble in the Jungle on DVD, the old rope a dope, he let Foreman punch himself out by catching the punches on his shoulders and upper arms. And Foreman could fkn hit. I remember when he made his comeback, he was fat and bald but had a cannon in each hand.

Fenech was a brawler but I loved watching him.

Lester Ellis was an excellent technician.

As you can probably guess I haven't watched a lot of boxing in the last 10-20 years Embarassed

Oh I so enjoyed the look on opponents faces when mike just glared and paced in his corner. He did not just want to box or to win, Tyson wanted to kill anyone who dared step in the ring with him - and they knew it.
What a waste of talent.

We're on the same page re Iron Mike there Stui!!
Every time the topic of Tyson comes up, I like to point out what a great defensive fighter he was pre-Douglas/pre-Prison. You just couldn't hit the guy.
His attacking attributes wouldn't have been AS potent without the great defence.

Ali was great, don't get me wrong by my previous comment (in another thread I think), it's just that purely as a boxer on a technical level he wasn't "The Greatest" at all. Still very good though.
In my opinion, he got hit too often, got into too many "wars" to be the greatest on a technical level. Ones that he wasn't always in control of like the Foreman fight.
What makes him one of the greats though, obviously, was his brilliance at out-thinking his opponents both inside and outside the ring.
Still, had/has everyone bluffed as "The Greatest" though.

To me, the greatest I've ever seen is Floyd Mayweather Jnr. Can't stand the guy, his public persona repulses me, but if you can't hit a guy, you can't beat him!! He's never really been hurt properly in 47 professional fights. Very accurate puncher too, doesn't waste too many for the sake of throwing 'em.

My 2 all time favourites to watch style wise:
1) Kostya Tszyu.
His ring generalship was outstanding. Adding to what Museman said earlier, his opponents would be constantly out of position, frustrated, disheartened, and by the time he'd land a straight right flush on the chin they didn't want to be there anymore.
The guy that is currently (one of Rolling Eyes ) Middleweight Champion, Gennedy Golovkin, reminds me a lot of Tszyu in this sense.

2) Vernon Forrest.
"All you need to beat speed, is a jab."
Long reach, great jab, extremely tall for a welterweight (would've been relatively tall for a Light-Heavyweight) great at cutting off the ring also.
Will never forget his first fight with Shane Moseley, who was rated pound-for-pound King by most at the time and was something like 34-0. Gave him a 12 round lesson in the art of "hit and don't get hit", to become Welterweight Champ. Defended in a rematch too to prove it wasn't just an off night for Moseley.
Lost to a guy called Ricardo Mayorga due to a lucky haymaker, convincingly beat him over 12 rounds in a rematch only to cop a shocker of a decision, and was not really the same afterwards despite winning the title a couple of times at Junior-Middleweight.
Far from the greatest, but one of my favourites anyway.
R.I.P. (Died in a car crash a few years ago.)

Just a couple of small asides -
- Fenech wasn't robbed in the Azuma Nelson fight in Vegas, it's just that he and most of Australia forgot about the first 6 or 7 rounds!! Laughing
- Anthony Mundine could've been World Class based on talent, but got one-punch KO'd whilst convincingly leading a World Title Fight by a non-power puncher early in his career and has fought accordingly since. (He has never been a "World Champion" either, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!!)

Well, you did tell me to keep going Stui..........!!!! Laughing Laughing

KT clowns poor Vernon here KM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HbhMCga5U

Tyson was so dangerous because in part, Cus D'Amato's formula combination punching but more over because he possessed the speed of a welter, not hand speed ...movement, foot speed.

A young Eric Morales is a s good a technician as I've ever seen, his faints were magical, he'd faint an opponent into a punch.

Hard to dispute Floyds ability, I did however have him losing the first Castillo fight, and some of the "names" he has fought since were on the way down not up....

I like Golovkin but he ain't precision like KT, I loved Smokin Joe...hated Ali yada yada....

Hated Nas and laughed my ass of when Barrera exposed him.

Loved Haglar and Duran, disliked Herns and Leonard.

Wasn't Hoya fan but can admit he was a ballsy fighter, big fan of Hop, think RJJ's talent was very bit the equal of Floyd...though he was painful to watch, Very Happy sorta like floyd Wink

Plenty more, but lastly for the moment, Arturo Gatti Mr. Green not the most talented, but without question in my mind the most entertaining(rip)
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Museman wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
^Marco Antonio Barrera stopped him in his tracks quick smart!!
If a fan of the sport, for pure entertainment, look up the first 2 Barrera vs Eric Morales fights. Non-stop action from 2 great fighters. Plenty of technique involved too, not just 2 guys going to-to-toe recklessly. (Mostly.)

laird wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
^Would love to start a discussion of boxing styles.
Loved K.Tszyu's movement; subtle but commanding, controlled the ring like not many I've ever seen.

Keep on going then.

Mike Tyson in his early days leading up to becoming the youngest heavyweight champ was supernatural. It wasn't just his punching power but the way he could slip a punch as if his head was able to slide from side to side. People would jab at him and he'd walk through them without getting hit.

Ali was more than a strong chin and a big mouth. I've got the Rumble in the Jungle on DVD, the old rope a dope, he let Foreman punch himself out by catching the punches on his shoulders and upper arms. And Foreman could fkn hit. I remember when he made his comeback, he was fat and bald but had a cannon in each hand.

Fenech was a brawler but I loved watching him.

Lester Ellis was an excellent technician.

As you can probably guess I haven't watched a lot of boxing in the last 10-20 years Embarassed

Oh I so enjoyed the look on opponents faces when mike just glared and paced in his corner. He did not just want to box or to win, Tyson wanted to kill anyone who dared step in the ring with him - and they knew it.
What a waste of talent.

We're on the same page re Iron Mike there Stui!!
Every time the topic of Tyson comes up, I like to point out what a great defensive fighter he was pre-Douglas/pre-Prison. You just couldn't hit the guy.
His attacking attributes wouldn't have been AS potent without the great defence.

Ali was great, don't get me wrong by my previous comment (in another thread I think), it's just that purely as a boxer on a technical level he wasn't "The Greatest" at all. Still very good though.
In my opinion, he got hit too often, got into too many "wars" to be the greatest on a technical level. Ones that he wasn't always in control of like the Foreman fight.
What makes him one of the greats though, obviously, was his brilliance at out-thinking his opponents both inside and outside the ring.
Still, had/has everyone bluffed as "The Greatest" though.

To me, the greatest I've ever seen is Floyd Mayweather Jnr. Can't stand the guy, his public persona repulses me, but if you can't hit a guy, you can't beat him!! He's never really been hurt properly in 47 professional fights. Very accurate puncher too, doesn't waste too many for the sake of throwing 'em.

My 2 all time favourites to watch style wise:
1) Kostya Tszyu.
His ring generalship was outstanding. Adding to what Museman said earlier, his opponents would be constantly out of position, frustrated, disheartened, and by the time he'd land a straight right flush on the chin they didn't want to be there anymore.
The guy that is currently (one of Rolling Eyes ) Middleweight Champion, Gennedy Golovkin, reminds me a lot of Tszyu in this sense.

2) Vernon Forrest.
"All you need to beat speed, is a jab."
Long reach, great jab, extremely tall for a welterweight (would've been relatively tall for a Light-Heavyweight) great at cutting off the ring also.
Will never forget his first fight with Shane Moseley, who was rated pound-for-pound King by most at the time and was something like 34-0. Gave him a 12 round lesson in the art of "hit and don't get hit", to become Welterweight Champ. Defended in a rematch too to prove it wasn't just an off night for Moseley.
Lost to a guy called Ricardo Mayorga due to a lucky haymaker, convincingly beat him over 12 rounds in a rematch only to cop a shocker of a decision, and was not really the same afterwards despite winning the title a couple of times at Junior-Middleweight.
Far from the greatest, but one of my favourites anyway.
R.I.P. (Died in a car crash a few years ago.)

Just a couple of small asides -
- Fenech wasn't robbed in the Azuma Nelson fight in Vegas, it's just that he and most of Australia forgot about the first 6 or 7 rounds!! Laughing
- Anthony Mundine could've been World Class based on talent, but got one-punch KO'd whilst convincingly leading a World Title Fight by a non-power puncher early in his career and has fought accordingly since. (He has never been a "World Champion" either, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!!)

Well, you did tell me to keep going Stui..........!!!! Laughing Laughing

Tyson was so dangerous because in part, Cus D'Amato's formula combination punching but more over because he possessed the speed of a welter, not hand speed ...movement, foot speed.

A young Eric Morales is a s good a technician as I've ever seen, his faints were magical, he'd faint an opponent into a punch.

Hard to dispute Floyds ability, I did however have him losing the first Castillo fight, and some of the "names" he has fought since were on the way down not up....

I like Golovkin but he ain't precision like KT, I loved Smokin Joe...hated Ali yada yada....

Hated Nas and laughed my ass of when Barrera exposed him.

Loved Haglar and Duran, disliked Herns and Leonard.

Wasn't Hoya fan but can admit he was a ballsy fighter, big fan of Hop, think RJJ's talent was very bit the equal of Floyd...though he was painful to watch, Very Happy sorta like floyd Wink

Plenty more, but lastly for the moment, Arturo Gatti Mr. Green not the most talented, but without question in my mind the most entertaining(rip)

We've watched the late90's - 2000's through similar eyes Museman!! Very Happy

I remember watching Hopkins vs Trinidad live, made me a huge Hopkins fan at the time. Loved the lesson he gave that smart-arse cheat. Trinidad wasn't so good without plastered hands!

Been following Miguel Cotto since back then too, when he was on Hopkins/De La Hoya/Trinidad undercards; always had him as "one to watch".
Was devastated when the dirty cheating of Antonio Margharito brought him undone in his prime.
Great that he's a Middleweight Champ now, brilliant display to take the Title off Martinez, but I don't think he's a naturally big enough guy to stay at the top of the MW division.

De La Hoya would have to be the most overrated boxer I've ever seen.
The guy just walked forward throwing ounches, commendable in a sense, but he simply wasn't good enough against anyone with any defensive ability at all.
The pub I watched the De La Hoya vs Mayweather fight was going nuts for De La Hoya, and booed when Floyd got the decision.
It was a dead-set 12 round shut-out to Floyd, De La Hoya never touched him but looked flashy walking forward the whole time.
Built his career on bluff, smoke and mirrors, the yanks love an attacking fighter regardless of whether he's any good - Arturro Gatti exhibit B. Very Happy

Loved Eric Morales in his prime. Can't remember who got him, but he lost to someone he shouldn't have and was never the same afterwards. (Was it Diego Corrales??)

Jones Jnr should've retired as one of the greats, but has lost to some blokes over the last 6-8 years that would be lucky to tie his boot-laces in his prime. Losing to Tarver the first time should've had alarm bells ringing for his "team".
Remember the Glen Kelly KO?? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ok, lunch break over.............. Mad

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Monkey 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Never seen that Tszyu/Forrest amateur bout - will check it out later........
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Re the comments on Tyson, have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22RvoxJU_I

Training videos . Damn, that was a scary combination of speed and power. In his prime, I reckon he could have beaten anyone, ever.

King Monkey 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Museman wrote:

Enjoyed that!! Thanks.

That was a man vs a boy despite them both being 19 or 20 at the time.
I thought Forrest had the best of the first 2 minutes, but something clicked in Tszyu about the 2 min mark Rd 1 and he found his range.
Very impressive performance.

Forrest finding a fight going against him in the pros, would've gone back to distance & jab, and/or scragging and holding for a couple of rounds to upset his opponent's rhythm.
Possibly learned a bit from that bout......?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:39 pm

http://mmakanvas.ninemsn.com.au/articles/news/2330/how-aussie-teenage-ratbags-are-getting-back-on-track-through-martial-arts.html

Article about an Aussie MMA fighter helping troubled teens get back on track through martial arts.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:19 pm

I guess no one would have a problem with a bit of cat fighting within a cage?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:24 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I guess no one would have a problem with a bit of cat fighting within a cage?

Cat's awesome.

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Cat-Zingano
Brenny 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:45 pm

I'm not a fan of the UFC, I can't see any relevance in it.

This is coming from a Shotokan practicioner of 15yrs.

Should it be banned, no. The only thing I do know is, there are less head injuries to MMA fighters than there are boxers as the majority blows are body shots. But yes, there are head blows too.

All you need to do is go back and look into Pride Fighting Championships, which was far more brutal than UFC.
King Monkey 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Wokko wrote:
http://mmakanvas.ninemsn.com.au/articles/news/2330/how-aussie-teenage-ratbags-are-getting-back-on-track-through-martial-arts.html

Article about an Aussie MMA fighter helping troubled teens get back on track through martial arts.

Easier to take pot shots than to look into the benefits.....

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Just on boxing, I was looking at some vids of George Foreman. That man should get more credit.

Olympic Gold medalist
World heavyweight champion
Retired after being humiliated by Ali and made a comeback as a fat 40 year old to win another version of the world championship.

There's an old saying about how a Boxer can lose his gear with age, but a puncher never loses the power. Foreman was a puncher. Goddamn he could hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeFmR-2rFpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sJV2Hq9Zes
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:57 pm

If allowing humans to bet on, cheer on etc etc other humans fighting in a cage rather than subjecting animals - dogs, roosters etc to fighting for the " enjoyment" of humans then bring it on - the sooner the better!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Morrigu wrote:
If allowing humans to bet on, cheer on etc etc other humans fighting in a cage rather than subjecting animals - dogs, roosters etc to fighting for the " enjoyment" of humans then bring it on - the sooner the better!

and ill second and third that too!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: