Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Paul Roos to cull top picks (by Jay Clark)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Az wrote:
The amount of great young talent this club has taken in and absolutely destroyed is shameful. It can't be a knock on the players as they can't all be duds, it seriously has to come down to very poor development. Really feel for guys like Blease, who if drafted by us or hell ANY other club, could have become at least a B grader. Now it looks like his career is basically ruined for having been unlucky enough to be drafted to a club who if not for their history, should have folded already.

It's either really poor recruiting by Melbourne (meaning the players they've picked aren't as good as they first anticipate) or it's poor development on the players they did recruit. I think it's the latter to be honest.

Most of these guys were highly touted juniors so hard to imagine that they've just been unlucky enough to grab all the duds. At a minimum, they're over represented in the dud department, more likely some combo of talent identification and poor development.

i tend to agree that the list management and development systems at that club have been a contributing factor to the downfall of these once highly touted juniors.

having said that, of those that have left, how many have been able to ressurect their careers? not even tom scully, who left for better money, has been a standout.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 pm

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Az wrote:
The amount of great young talent this club has taken in and absolutely destroyed is shameful. It can't be a knock on the players as they can't all be duds, it seriously has to come down to very poor development. Really feel for guys like Blease, who if drafted by us or hell ANY other club, could have become at least a B grader. Now it looks like his career is basically ruined for having been unlucky enough to be drafted to a club who if not for their history, should have folded already.

It's either really poor recruiting by Melbourne (meaning the players they've picked aren't as good as they first anticipate) or it's poor development on the players they did recruit. I think it's the latter to be honest.

Most of these guys were highly touted juniors so hard to imagine that they've just been unlucky enough to grab all the duds. At a minimum, they're over represented in the dud department, more likely some combo of talent identification and poor development.

i tend to agree that the list management and development systems at that club have been a contributing factor to the downfall of these once highly touted juniors.

having said that, of those that have left, how many have been able to ressurect their careers? not even tom scully, who left for better money, has been a standout.

Scully judged harshly because of the $$$s he's receiving. Still only young and at worst has been a more than solid contributor in a team that struggles.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:32 pm

jackcass wrote:
John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Az wrote:

Scully judged harshly because of the $$$s he's receiving. Still only young and at worst has been a more than solid contributor in a team that struggles.

Don't know that he's judged harshly, he chose to sign a 6 year / $6 million contract. You sign a contract like that people have a right to expect million dollar performances, he's paid like Ablett Jr but plays like a second tier midfielder.
If you can't make the play don't take the pay.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 pm

OEP wrote:
Don't know that he's judged harshly, he chose to sign a 6 year / $6 million contract. You sign a contract like that people have a right to expect million dollar performances, he's paid like Ablett Jr but plays like a second tier midfielder.

Can't knock the kid for accepting a ridiculous offer, same for Boyd, plays as you'd expect a developing mid. To expect him to play like Ablett just because GWS are stupid enough to pay him at that level is as I said, harsh.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 pm

I agree jack, if a football club offered me that I'd take it even though I can't really play at all. Can't knock someone for accepting huge overs on a contract and setting themselves up for life.

He can then leave at his peak and play wherever he wants and has made enough money to live on the rest of his life. Screw the giants, he's done exactly right by himself.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Me to Wokko, 1 year would see me out.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:25 pm

jackcass wrote:
OEP wrote:

Can't knock the kid for accepting a ridiculous offer, same for Boyd, plays as you'd expect a developing mid. To expect him to play like Ablett just because GWS are stupid enough to pay him at that level is as I said, harsh.

Disagree entirely. If as a player you willing to take that type of money then you must understand the pressure to perform that attached to it. It's naive to say a player can accept the money without accepting the "harsh" reality that comes with it.

Two former NRL players comes to mind when talking about this. They took the money, couldn't live up to the dollars being paid and got blasted in the press and on this site.

The larger the money you accept the greater the expectations are on the player to perform to that level of pay, and rightly so it's a massive investment by an organization.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 pm

OEP wrote:
jackcass wrote:
OEP wrote:

Disagree entirely. If as a player you willing to take that type of money then you must understand the pressure to perform that attached to it. It's naive to say a player can accept the money without accepting the "harsh" reality that comes with it.

Two former NRL players comes to mind when talking about this. They took the money, couldn't live up to the dollars being paid and got blasted in the press and on this site.

The larger the money you accept the greater the expectations are on the player to perform to that level of pay, and rightly so it's a massive investment by an organization.

I agree. I think Daisy is feeling the same pressure at the scum. Accepted a lucrative offer & now is struggling to live up to it.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Give me 50k cash and I'll happily follow Carlton for the remainder of my days, urghh, who am I kidding.

It's a bit like asking someone to be gay, you either are or you aren't.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:08 pm

woftam wrote:
OEP wrote:
jackcass wrote:
OEP wrote:

I agree. I think Daisy is feeling the same pressure at the scum. Accepted a lucrative offer & now is struggling to live up to it.

Daisy would've remained a Pie if it wasn't for Mick, Mick leaving did have some benefits after all.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 am

woftam wrote:
OEP wrote:
jackcass wrote:
OEP wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Expecting a 22-23 year old to perform like Ablett just because he's on the same money is wrong. Even Ablett didn't perform like Ablett at that age.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 am

jackcass wrote:
woftam wrote:
OEP wrote:
jackcass wrote:
OEP wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Expecting a 22-23 year old to perform like Ablett just because he's on the same money is wrong. Even Ablett didn't perform like Ablett at that age.

Correct and wasn't being paid like he is now because of that reason. Scully went after the $$$, I don't blame him for doing it footballers have a short career, but at the same time I don't feel sorry for him because of the heat he's copping due to underperforming at the highest level. At the end of the day he can comfort himself by opening his bank account and having a look at the balance Laughing

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Tapscott delisted. He looked good to me. We are limited for spots, but I think he is worth a look. Other clubs will surly speak to him.

Blease looks like he is going to Geelong.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:47 pm

THEY COULD HAVE BEEN DEMONS - MELBOURNE'S ALTERNATIVE BEST 22

MELBOURNE'S ALTERNATIVE DRAFT PICKS
12. James Frawley (Jack Riewoldt at No.13)
30. Ricky Petterd (Kurt Tippett, 32)
46. Colin Garland (Robbie Gray, 55)
62. Isaac Weetra (Tyson Goldsack, 63)

4. Cale Morton (Patrick Dangerfield, 10)
14. Jack Grimes (Callan Ward, 19)
21. Addam Maric (Scott Selwood, 22)
53. Kyle Cheney (Cale Hooker, 54)
66. Tom McNamara

1. Jack Watts (Nic Naitanui, 2)
17. Sam Blease (Luke Shuey, 1Cool
19. James Strauss (Hayden Ballantyne, 21)
35. Jamie Bennell (Steven Motlop, 39)
51. Neville Jetta (Michael Walters, 53)
64. Rohan Bail

1. Tom Scully (Dustin Martin, 3)
2. Jack Trengove (Ben Cunnington, 5)
11. Jordan Gysberts (Daniel Talia, 13)
18. Luke Tapscott (Nat Fyfe, 20)
34. Max Gawn (Allen Christensen, 40)
50. Jack Fitzpatrick (Taylor Duryea, 69)

12. Lucas Cook (Brodie Smith, 14)
33. Jeremy Howe (Luke Parker, 40)
50. Troy Davis (Paul Puopolo, 66)
53. Tom McDonald

36. Rory Taggert (Jack Newnes, 37)
53. Josh Tynan (Lachie Neale, 5Cool
54. James Sellar (Cameron Sutcliffe, 71)

4. Jimmy Toumpas (Ollie Wines, 7)
26. Jack Viney
48. Dean Kent
52. Matt Jones
68. Dean Terlich

9. Christian Salem
40. Jay Kennedy-Harris
57. Jayden Hunt (Tom Langdon, 65)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-26/they-could-have-been-demons

Makes for a pretty impressive sidew if they'd taken the guys in brackets.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:36 pm

It's interesting seeing this alternative line-up but we have the benefit of hindsight now to see where Melbourne has gone wrong in their drafting and development of players.

The article is also assuming that the likes of Tippett, Fyfe and Grey would have developed the same way at Melbourne as they have at the clubs they're playing for at the present time. I think it's a mixture of poor recruiting and poor development of the young recruits that has left Melbourne to languish on the bottom of the ladder for a long period of time.

Nevertheless it's an interesting article based on the hindsight of who Melbourne could have drafted all those years ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: