Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

clarify our list position?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Wouldn't worry too much about 2015; Swan will be gone for one, and if the kids come along as expected/hoped for, there will be a few delisting's/bargain basement trades to clear the list

7 senior spots cleared this year (incl Hudson) and haven't got enough room to promote Frost AND use our 3rd round pick. I agree, there'll be a few under the gun, Armstrong, Ramsay and Young in particular, but what if all 3 have stellar seasons? Who is next? Not quite as sure Swanny will hang the boots up either unless he struggles though another season battling injuries.

this is always the case when you are using your current mind to think through next year. I thought the same thing last year. This is a very big year for about 5-6 players (especially the recycled players - also known as list cloggers).

I suspect by this point next year, it will be very clear as to who needs to be dropped off our list. Of the players on our senior list right now, I think Ramsey is the only one who i would have thought is in jeopardy.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:57 am

If Ramsey is "in danger" why was he selected in the senior side not once but twice near the end of the season? Not only selected, but played well and looked a likely type with a cool head.

I suppose they could delist him and then bring him back as a rookie, but that seems an odd way of going about things.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 am

I would add Young to the list of those in jeopardy. I was surprised he made it through this year de-listings.

Seedsman having a decent year will be the clincher!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 am

inxs88 wrote:
You can redraft a "nominate rookie" player to the list and he can retain his salary aka what the Suns are doing with Greg Broughton and similar what we did with B Hudson for those 2 years.

You may well be right but I was of the understanding that there was no formal process to demote a player from the senior list to the rookie list that enables a club to restrict other clubs access to them in the drafts. Hudson is a different case, he was always on the rookie list despite his "nominated rookie" status on the senior list. Don't know anything about Broughton.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Looking at a phantom draft ( by media) & it had at 5 Peter Wright a 203cm ,103kg ruck / forward with Adam Cooney red hair and builds his game on speed and mobility
But they are more midfield forward in mind

E 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:22 pm

Tannin wrote:
If Ramsey is "in danger" why was he selected in the senior side not once but twice near the end of the season? Not only selected, but played well and looked a likely type with a cool head.

I suppose they could delist him and then bring him back as a rookie, but that seems an odd way of going about things.

it is very common for a player about to be cut to be given a shot in a meaningless season to see what he shows at senior level. A bit like Crisp.

I daresay his performances may just have saved him, just as they seem to have shown that Crisp is a player.

I remember in previous years, players like Rounds got a game late in the season ahead of getting cut.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 pm

if not for the plight of injuries i doubt rama would have got a senior game this year.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 am

John Wren wrote:
if not for the plight of injuries i doubt rama would have got a senior game this year.

And now he's shown he can at least hold his own at senior level. Currently well down the pecking order for small defenders but who knows how another preseason will impact that.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 am

E wrote:
Tannin wrote:

it is very common for a player about to be cut to be given a shot in a meaningless season to see what he shows at senior level. A bit like Crisp.

I daresay his performances may just have saved him, just as they seem to have shown that Crisp is a player.

I remember in previous years, players like Rounds got a game late in the season ahead of getting cut.

And how many non-rookies on our senior list did not play a game? Very few. In fact only these two and they were both injured for much of the year:

Karnezis
Oxley

If another player were to be cut, I'd think Ramsay and Oxley would clearly be the most likely. Not because they haven't shown anything but simply because there isn't anyone on a lower rung. If anyone thinks they can name me a more likely delisting candidate than these two I'd have to question their intelligence Very Happy.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:40 am

^ I can name at least two, Inky, but it's a cast iron certainty that neither one will be touched and both will continue to be gifted with automatic senior selection next year just as they have been in the past. Young is clearly the more damaging of the two on a good day, but you have to wonder how much faith you can put in him when it comes to big games that matter. Blair has less upside but is more consistent. (I'm not saying he is consistently good, mind you, merely that he plays at a very consistent level of mediocrity from one week to another, albeit with the odd impressive game against an easy-beat side every five or six weeks.)

You'd think Young would be on his last year failing a significant improvement, which might come if he can say injury-free for long enough. Curiously enough, I'd rather have Blair remain on our list than Young though: Blair would be very well-suiited as a solid depth player, mostly playing reserves but available as and when required.

But that's all academic. Neither one seems to be in the slightest danger this year.

E: I take your point. As you more-or-less say, Ramsey's two solid senior games seem to have made life a bit difficult. If he'd come in and played to the standard of Luke Rounds, he'd have been out the door, you'd imagine. But (at least to my eye) he looked the goods; he strikes me as the sort of player who will never win a Brownlow or be a star but could become a very good reliable, team-oriented backman with a little bit of flair. Hard to say too much after just two games, but I'd hate to see us lose him just yet. Another year for sure; look at him again in 2015.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:10 am

Some players are not going to be delisted due to contracts. Remember if we dump a contracted player that contract still is included in TPP . iirc 50% and we still have to pay that contract in full.
And we still have to include the full amount of the replacements contract.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am

^Yep, Ramsay, Oxley and Gault the 3 most at risk at this stage of proceedings. Gault a little less so because he's depth in an area that we don't/can't carry too many in. The possibility we'll draft another KPP in a few weeks may influence that.

Would prefer to retain all 3 but it'll come down to the elevate Frost v pick 48 debate.

Ramsay you could delist and hope he's still available for our 1st rookie selection. But then he'd be competing against all the other hidden gems Dekka has on his list.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:29 pm

You'd like to think that Oxley won't be delisted. After all, he was elevated to the senior list ahead of Frost and promptly missed the entire season with injury. He must be given another season, or else the decision to elevate him in the draft last year looks perverse.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:20 pm

^ you could make a case for retaining all 3, doesn't make them any less vulnerable.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Tannin wrote:

But that's all academic. Neither one seems to be in the slightest danger this year.

The task was to list those more likely to be delisted, not those you dislike Wink. Blair has played almost every game for 5 years and just re-signed this season. Young played significantly more than two games this year and won't be going anywhere just yet.

Jackcass brought up one name which could almost sit alongside Ramsay and Oxley in Gault, but I'd consider him a little safer. For mine, Ramsay is the most vulnerable simply because we are not short of small to medium half back flankers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: