Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2014 draft:player bios, phantom drafts etc. Who do you want?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
STOKA35 wrote:
Peter Brampton dean gore josh hone

Any links to those suggestions? Couldn't find much at all on Brampton apart from a Norwood mention

Blakely, Gore, Bampton would all be in the mix at 30.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-draft-combine-harvester-medium-midfielders-20141002-10pj9n.html

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1060197/

STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:22 am

These guys are young footballers from my local area who I have seen play throughout there junior years in the adelaide hills and have coached josh hone.

Bampton on baller great endurance in and under type player has played league football at norwood. Had a ankle injury which he could not play most of the year which hindered his opportunity to play in the u18 championship and tried to get back and play in norwoods league finals campaign

Dean Gore strong bodied can play a variety of positions . Reads the play very well great skills. Just your old fashioned footballer. Had a great u18 campaign
And played league football at sturt this season

Josh hone, rover, forward, great pace good overhead for his size, knows where the goals are and loves kicking them. Played league footy at sturt also had a good u18 campaign. Will be a cult hero if he gets picked up
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:04 pm

I hear that Peter Bampton really comes alive on the big stage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PTvI0VqZY8
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Updated phantom draft (Oct 17) by Paige Cordona. These are probably the best we have at this early stage. Has Laverde to the Pies at 5.

http://boundforglorynews.com/paige-cardonas-phantom-draft-5-0/

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 pm

As a type, I'd be very happy with Laverde. Actually think he fits our team better than Brayshaw.
Museman 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Kids got something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY8jFaLNplY

Aiden Anderson
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:13 pm

dont want to get too carried away, but Anderson's highlights reminded me of someone. Which I finally realised was none other than................ Dane Swan
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:57 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
As a type, I'd be very happy with Laverde. Actually think he fits our team better than Brayshaw.

I agree inky. He's the Botempelli we missed out on last year. With Adams, Freeman, Kennedy, Greenwood and Thomas, we have plenty of hard at it small/mid sized midfielders. Laverde would give us real size and class around the packs, and great flexibility to use him all over the ground. If Crisp and Karnezis come on as hoped, we would have the perfect mix of inside/outside and run with players.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:02 am

Museman wrote:

Kids got something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY8jFaLNplY

Aiden Anderson

I like. Smile
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:45 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-18/lamb-his-toughest-critic
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:34 pm

^^Still the one I want.

He's this year's potential Bontempelli (actually the better comparison may be Fyfe as he's quicker and a stronger mark than Bonts). Currently not rated as top 10 material but once we know what the clubs think that could change. If he gets it all together he'll be a freakishly talented mid, his ceiling is higher than all but the absolute top picks.

I'm just not sure he'll go as high as 5 as there is some risk. On the positive side we have a head recruiter who's not afraid to make a big call.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:09 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Still the one I want.

He's this year's potential Bontempelli (actually the better comparison may be Fyfe as he's quicker and a stronger mark than Bonts). Currently not rated as top 10 material but once we know what the clubs think that could change. If he gets it all together he'll be a freakishly talented mid, his ceiling is higher than all but the absolute top picks.

I'm just not sure he'll go as high as 5 as there is some risk. On the positive side we have a head recruiter who's not afraid to make a big call.

"Being the son of Melbourne and Fitzroy 21-gamer Wayne Lamb and the grandson of 1966 St Kilda premiership player Ian Cooper has not helped expectations.

This is why Wheeler believes it could be a blessing in disguise if Lamb drops down the draft order.

"I reckon (he will go) late first (round), but I honestly think the best thing for Tom is to go as a second round pick and expectation be taken off him a little bit," Wheeler said.

"He carries the world on his shoulders – he always has.

"I think if he goes in the top 10 it will be the worst thing for him because it will just consume him."

It's a bit of a worry when you coach is talking you down like that.

Personally I hope he slides out to 30 rather than gamble on him at 5.

Is seen as being highly talented but lazy at times.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:20 pm

^^Yeah, I doubt he'll go top 5 and unlikely he'll fall to 30. But you never know, Marsh fell a long way with similar attributes.

Like the look of Laverde anyway. He'd be my second pick in the draft behind Petracca for us.

And Wheeler nowhere mentioned a lack of work rate. In fact the opposite. I did read that in Paige's Phantom, but I don't take too much notice of those.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:54 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Yeah, I doubt he'll go top 5 and unlikely he'll fall to 30. But you never know, Marsh fell a long way with similar attributes.

Like the look of Laverde anyway. He'd be my second pick in the draft behind Petracca for us.

And Wheeler nowhere mentioned a lack of work rate. In fact the opposite. I did read that in Paige's Phantom, but I don't take too much notice of those.

It's not just Cardona who questions his application.

You should have seen the response I got at BF when I mentioned Lamb as a Hine special at 5. Let's just say it wasn't well received.

Here's Knightmare's write up on him.

Tom Lamb (VIC – Util)Height:192cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 19/10/1996
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Draft range: 10-35 Best position/role: Medium forward.

Strengths:Endurance and athleticism – Lamb has excellent endurance finishing sub 10 minutes over 3km and scoring a 15+ beep score. In game Lamb at times shows his very good leaping ability and also shows in game some above average pace for someone his height. I also after marks like his tendency to play on and take the game on, he often recognises when the man on the mark is tired and will go at the right times when he is confident he can get by the man on the mark. Versatility – Lamb has at times played forward, back and through the midfield, getting opportunities in each area of the ground.
Ground level ability – Lamb is clean below the knees with his pickups. He has some natural crumbing ability and can be used at times as a front and centre option. His second and third efforts also are excellent and he will go from one contest onto the next contest.
Hits the ball at pace – Lamb has shown on many occasions that he can hit the ball at pace and win it and continue accelerating without any pause, such is his cleanness.
Offensive positioning – Lamb, particularly when played behind the ball will continually be running behind a player or behind the back of a pack giving his teammates an option to pass to as security and as a result he finds lots of easy uncontested ball through this method.
Ability to read the flight of the ball – Lamb reads the flight of the ball well and generally does a good job getting to the drop of the ball.
Scoreboard impact – When given regular opportunity in the front half while it might not happen every week Lamb can on his good days provide some heavy scoreboard impact and as he showed in round one v Gippsland Power with his six goals in that game.
Weaknesses:Inconsistent – From game to game Lamb does not always bring the same effort and intent at the contest as a result from game to game has mixed and inconsistent results.
Intensity – Lamb often lacks intensity to his game and can at times lack that intent to go for and win the contested ball. He is capable of winning the contested ball and his contested ball winning numbers are reasonably good, but he can at times pick and choose when he goes and he does not always bring the physical presence around the contest that he at his height should.
Work by hand – Lamb by hand while he has improved as the season has progressed he is still very poor and sloppy with his work by hand, rarely connecting sweetly with the ball. He can often miss his targets by hand and when rushed or under pressure will often miss targets by hand altogether, just lacking that bit of composure.
Defensive smarts – Lamb when played in the back half too often loses his opponent and does not often enough sit between his opponent and the oppositions goals or pay enough attention to his direct opponent. He also too often protects the wrong spaces in defence and just needs to go through the learning of where he needs to be, when. At the moment the question of whether it is just laziness or lack of understanding whether to be springs to mind but his positioning is just that bad, that often at the moment I can only assume it is a lack of understanding where to be.
Marking ability – Lamb is a threat on the lead and in the air to take some marks, and is hard to defend as a result but overhead can at times lack consistency and drop some marks he should consistently take.
Decision making ability – Lamb with ball in hand is prone to making poor, rushed decisions by hand and foot lacking composure. Footskills – Lamb’s footskills at the start of the year were poor with his field kicking to targets inconsistent and his set shot goalkicking inconsistent but as the season has progressed he has shown significant improvement, particularly in his ability to hit his targets over a variety of distances and also has shown improved vision finding some good targets at times up the ground when he has time and space with the ball which is encouraging. Next he will need to improve his work when he does not have as much time to dispose of the ball with that still seeming to be a challenge for Lamb.
Lack of a best position – At this stage given Lamb has been thrown around and played in so many different positions it is hard to say with certainty where his best position is.
Disposal efficiency – Lamb’s disposal efficiency is poor with a disposal efficiency through the U18 Championships of less than 60% and similarly poor through the TAC Cup. A lot of it has to do with his poor work by hand and his poor ability to dispose of the ball while under pressure. What I expect will improve:I think Lamb can continue to improve his footskills given the improvement he was showing us this season and he has an opportunity to find a best position with continued play in a set position or role I feel Lamb will remain a frustrating and inconsistent player throughout his career.
Who he can become?I see Lamb as being similar to Mitch Morton. Terrific talent and like Morton I feel Lamb is best suited and Lamb similarly can also in the front half at times do some real damage but I also expect similar frustrations and inconsistencies with Lamb.
When will he be ready to play?Lamb I anticipate will take some time to develop and in season two I imagine he will be starting to push for some senior AFL opportunities and come season three I imagine he will be working towards regular senior AFL games.
How to best utilise him?Lamb I feel is best utilised in the front half as a medium forward. He has the talent to on his day hit the scoreboard in bunches and given his endurance he is someone who I can see working over some opposition defenders with his ability to push up the ground.
Interpretation of his numbers:
Lamb’s numbers by position are good but not dominant and are up and down from game to game. His disposal efficiency is below average. His mark and tackle numbers per game are both fairly good. His scoreboard impact when forward while inconsistent is also relatively good.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:17 pm

^^Some nice detail. It does seem that there is common ground on his lack of intensity during games. I was more talking about work rate to improve his game.

I think the Mitch Morton comparison is off, even though I've not even seen him play. Morton was 6-7cm shorter and less quick and athletic than Lamb. Given his excellent pace, agility, stamina and his good ability below his knees, I see no reason why Lamb can't play on a wing, and feel that's where he'll end up being best suited. He has compared himself to Bontempelli.

It will be interesting to see where he goes. Last draft these types ended up going higher than expected, with both Bonts and KK shooting up the draft board. Lamb does not seem as ready-made as those two so will likely fall to somewhere in the teens at least.

These early Phantom drafts are good reads and are useful as a general guide, but shouldn't be taken too much heed of. In 2-3 weeks we'll have a more solidly grounded idea of who might be taken in the top 10.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: