Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Medicine and marketing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:57 pm
Post subject: Medicine and marketingReply with quote

We all know how crazy the anti-vaccination lobby is, and, like most 'pro-science' types, I have little time for most so-called 'alternative' medicines and therapies. But is it possible that we're not critical enough about the role in our healthcare system played by big pharmaceutical corporations?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/07/millions-of-australians-given-flu-drugs-with-little-or-no-benefit-study-finds

Quote:
Millions of patients may have taken influenza drugs that have little or no benefit to them, according to an Australian-led study.

The study found that researchers paid by pharmaceutical companies were more likely to recommend antiviral drugs for flu and produced different recommendations to independent researchers conducting the reviews.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:33 am
Post subject: Re: Medicine and marketingReply with quote

David wrote:
We all know how crazy the anti-vaccination lobby is, and, like most 'pro-science' types, I have little time for most so-called 'alternative' medicines and therapies. But is it possible that we're not critical enough about the role in our healthcare system played by big pharmaceutical corporations?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/07/millions-of-australians-given-flu-drugs-with-little-or-no-benefit-study-finds

Quote:
Millions of patients may have taken influenza drugs that have little or no benefit to them, according to an Australian-led study.

The study found that researchers paid by pharmaceutical companies were more likely to recommend antiviral drugs for flu and produced different recommendations to independent researchers conducting the reviews.

Probably similar to the way that research funded by Greenpeace doesn't tend to recommend things contrary to its agenda. Who pays the piper calls the tune. Governments should certainly be sceptical of any research funded by a commercial interest or pressure group unless and until it is independently reviewed.

On the whole, however, the development and growth of pharmacology in the twentieth century has been one of the most benign things in the history of humanity. I often give a silent prayer for the fact that I was born in the pharmaceutical age, amd the large and small pharma companies have done much to advance the quality and duration of life. We should not take their research at face value, of course, and i think there is a larger role for government in supporting research into rare, and thus less commercially promising, illness. But the big PharmaCos get a lot of stick for not solving problems that they're not designed to solve, while being good at something of value to us all.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:27 am; edited 3 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would have thought it was obvious. The bit about self funding research! Interesting article. I remember when that tamaflu came out and asking my doctor about it. He said apparently it reduces the flu by one day, but the side effects can far out way that day. He said nothing works, you just have to let your body fight it, give your body time to do it's job. All you can do is try and mask some of the symptoms.

The anti obeseity drug involved in the bombers case had a simular history. Their own research said it worked. In small animals. For humans the dose had to be massive and the effect wasn't brilliant in reality. When the real research was done their shares crashed and burned. I know, I sold mine just before they cost me!

Last edited by think positive on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:27 am

You had shares in AOD9604? Shocked
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:54 pm

David wrote:
You had shares in AOD9604? Shocked

Yup made a killing got out about 5 min too late to retire on, but before the arse dropped right out!

Only a couple of thousand, just learning for a bit of fun at the time but takes too much time

Metabolic pharmaceuticals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: