Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Goodes booed: This article is over the top!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:19 pm
Post subject: Goodes booed: This article is over the top!Reply with quote

Apparently the AFL is sexist, racist and homophobic.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/afl-has-a-problem-with-racism-sexism-and-homophobia-20140928-10n7pm.html

Fair dinkum, what a whinge. There are more women and families who attend AFL matches than any other major sport. Look at soccer and NRL crowds, they'd be lucky to get 10% women.

And as for the booing of Adam Goodes and other abuse directed towards him, it only got worse when he singled out a little 13 year old Pies fan. If Goodes had not said anything that night people would still be cheering him. You do not cure racism by calling people racists! Sociologists call this labelling. When you start labelling people racist, sexist or homophobic their behaviour gets worse.

You change society by appealing to people's better nature.

Quote:
Building a more inclusive game isn't just about themed rounds and policy documents, it needs be at the heart of everything the AFL does.
This includes match day experiences but it goes beyond that. Looking at football media, it's rare to see the diversity of the AFL's fan base represented.
Before the game, a friend texted me a screenshot from Channel Seven's coverage, showing the commentators' predictions for the final score, with the caption "Who do the white men think will win?" Sure enough, all five predictions were from white men.

You know if someone Tweeted, "Who do the Black men think will win?" these people would be dragging the AFL before the War Crimes Tribunal. Racism works BOTH ways. It is best overcome when race or gender or sexuality is not even talked about!

Last edited by collie dog on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow news day?
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Slow news day?

What Dave? After a grand final? No, just some uni journo having a whinge (after being brainwashed by all their Cultural Studies courses).

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:32 pm
Post subject: Re: This article is over the top!Reply with quote

collie dog wrote:
Apparently the AFL is sexist, racist and homophobic.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/afl-has-a-problem-with-racism-sexism-and-homophobia-20140928-10n7pm.html

Fair dinkum, what a whinge. There are more women and families who attend AFL matches than any other major sport. Look at soccer and NRL crowds, they'd be lucky to get 10% women.

And as for the booing of Adam Goodes and other abuse directed towards him, it only got worse when he singled out a little 13 year old Pies fan. If Goodes had not said anything that night people would still be cheering him. You do not cure racism by calling people racists! Sociologists call this labelling. When you start labelling people racist, sexist or homophobic their behaviour gets worse.

You change society by appealing to people's better nature.

Quote:
Building a more inclusive game isn't just about themed rounds and policy documents, it needs be at the heart of everything the AFL does.
This includes match day experiences but it goes beyond that. Looking at football media, it's rare to see the diversity of the AFL's fan base represented.
Before the game, a friend texted me a screenshot from Channel Seven's coverage, showing the commentators' predictions for the final score, with the caption "Who do the white men think will win?" Sure enough, all five predictions were from white men.

You know if someone Tweeted, "Who do the Black men think will win?" these people would be dragging the AFL before the War Crimes Tribunal. Racism works BOTH ways. It is best overcome when race or gender or sexuality is not even talked about!

Agree, person with a predisposition to see the world through a certain filter finds evidence of racism, sexism and various other forms of independent being. Apparently what some pissed yobbos said at the back of the stand is symptomatic of an entire code's ethos. They do sound mighty unpleasant, and on the basis of what they are reported to have said, they probably should have been spoken to, and maybe even evicted. But i'm afraid you'll find unpleasant people everywhere, and it's not really news.

On another point, Yes, it is wrong to dismiss and ridicule people for being white men, and it's becoming far too prevalent.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:05 pm

gees must have had some ferals behind them if true. ive been to more footy matches than I can count, and ive never heard shit like that!! sour grapes maybe? just trying to stir up shit because they lost? sounds a little far fetched.
and why would any crowd boo Goodes? could it be his sooking on the field when he doesnt get frees ala duckwood, or his cheap shots on players behind play? does any one say jobe gets booed because he is white?

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:11 pm

think positive wrote:
gees must have had some ferals behind them if true. ive been to more footy matches than I can count, and ive never heard shit like that!! sour grapes maybe? just trying to stir up shit because they lost? sounds a little far fetched.
and why would any crowd boo Goodes? could it be his sooking on the field when he doesnt get frees ala duckwood, or his cheap shots on players behind play? does any one say jobe gets booed because he is white?

You could write that article about any Hawthorn crowd...

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:13 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
think positive wrote:

really?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:14 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
think positive wrote:

collingwood crowds are no different. i saw this person's howls of protest yesterday on twitter. i thought it poor form what the mcg staffers/security had to say about the matter. sometimes, things don't always have to be a particular way. they have the opportunity to change the culture as much as anyone.

Az 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:19 pm

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact he plays for free kicks and is a prominent sniper out on the field. I find it hard to appreciate the great player he once was with the poor sportsmanship he has displayed over the past couple of years which is a shame. Apparently that makes me racist?
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:26 pm

I think there's more an issue with society than there is with football, or any sport. Every sport condemns racists, sexists and homphobic remarks. The AFL can only do so much in eliminating them, fans have been dobbing in the few that they hear but the problem is a wider one with society.

Shoudn't be pointing the blame at clubs for their supporters shit behaviour but towards a society that still does this stupid shit.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:44 am

Goodes has been a fine footballer for many years but that's not to say I like the guy at all. I lost a lot of respect for him after he bullied a 13 year old girl because he was referred to as an "ape" by her. I feel like the timing of Goodes 'making a stand against racism' was extremely convenient as it happened to occur in Indigenous Round when he knew he could make a big story about it and as a result use a member of the general crowd as an example that racism is supposedly still prevalent within football and society.

I don't like racism by any means but I hate the culture that is developing with people dobbing in one another because someone makes an offensive comment at the game. This idea of the anti-social hotline doesn't sit well with me when it comes to some comments that might be made at the football. I think it's only sufficient when someone is acting in a threatening manner or being physically violent toward someone.

What's the difference between someone calling Jason Dunstall an 'ape' as opposed to Adam Goodes and would anyone be offended if a white player was on the receiving end of such abuse? This article just reeks of political correctness going too far.

One thing that is irritating me though is this insinuation that booing Adam Goodes automatically means you're a racist. Some may well be booing him for being an Aboriginal man but that's extremely unlikely. Most likely people are booing him for the way he treated a 13 year old girl who made a comment in the heat of the moment and as a result of that won the Australian of the Year which was incredibly a big political stunt and also as a player Goodes has been known to be a favourite for the MRP and umpires. His diving antics have been a disgrace in recent times and his ability to always avoid suspension can be mind-boggling and frustrating at times for opposition supporters. These are bigger reasons why he gets booed as opposed to being an Aboriginal person.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Jezza wrote:
Goodes has been a fine footballer for many years but that's not to say I like the guy at all. I lost a lot of respect for him after he bullied a 13 year old girl because he was referred to as an "ape" by her. I feel like the timing of Goodes 'making a stand against racism' was extremely convenient as it happened to occur in Indigenous Round when he knew he could make a big story about it and as a result use a member of the general crowd as an example that racism is supposedly still prevalent within football and society.

I don't like racism by any means but I hate the culture that is developing with people dobbing in one another because someone makes an offensive comment at the game. This idea of the anti-social hotline doesn't sit well with me when it comes to some comments that might be made at the football. I think it's only sufficient when someone is acting in a threatening manner or being physically violent toward someone.

What's the difference between someone calling Jason Dunstall an 'ape' as opposed to Adam Goodes and would anyone be offended if a white player was on the receiving end of such abuse? This article just reeks of political correctness going too far.

One thing that is irritating me though is this insinuation that booing Adam Goodes automatically means you're a racist. Some may well be booing him for being an Aboriginal man but that's extremely unlikely. Most likely people are booing him for the way he treated a 13 year old girl who made a comment in the heat of the moment and as a result of that won the Australian of the Year which was incredibly a big political stunt and also as a player Goodes has been known to be a favourite for the MRP and umpires. His diving antics have been a disgrace in recent times and his ability to always avoid suspension can be mind-boggling and frustrating at times for opposition supporters. These are bigger reasons why he gets booed as opposed to being an Aboriginal person.

I agree completely with that post Jezza. If you look at social media that seems to be the overwhelming consensus about Goodes as well. Sad he chose to trash his "brand" in the name of PC. Even sadder that the Australian of the Year Committee trashed that honour by acknowledging it.

i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:13 pm

He gets booed because he stages for frees.

Goodes should retire and go to NIDA.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:58 pm

The kid has a good head for radio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: