Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What do we need in the draft/trade period?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
This time last year I wrote here that we needed big bodied mids the size of Pendles and quick skilful mids. Our recruiting team knew this and I'm certain they had Bontimpelli pencilled in at 6 with Sharenberg as our second option. Sharenberg is elite and will play through the midfield. Unfortunately, like everybody else, he fell over.

The trouble with drafting big strong fast skillful mids is that they go top 10 often top 5. We have not had many picks like that since we drafted Pendles

How often does a Beams at pick 20 iirc come along

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 am

Oh. Interesting comparison.
roar 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Elite skills, pace and not under 184cm.

Also, small defender a la Wanganeen.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 pm

Small defenders are cheap basically rookie drafts if clever
Elite skills and pace and size difficult top ten pick
Its the middle picks that are difficult and important.

Carlscum got heaps of number 1 picks but did fuckall with every other pick

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:53 pm

neil wrote:

Carlscum got heaps of number 1 picks but did fuckall with every other pick

And not so well with their No1 picks... LMFAO, may there ineptitude forever continue!
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:36 pm

jackcass wrote:
neil wrote:

[b]Carlscum got heaps of number 1 picks but did fuckall with every other pick[/b]

And not so well with their No1 picks... LMFAO, may there ineptitude forever continue!

Very Happy In the state of uncertainty and lows it's not all doom and gloom. There are always those around us who help brighten our day!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:36 pm

neil wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
This time last year I wrote here that we needed big bodied mids the size of Pendles and quick skilful mids. Our recruiting team knew this and I'm certain they had Bontimpelli pencilled in at 6 with Sharenberg as our second option. Sharenberg is elite and will play through the midfield. Unfortunately, like everybody else, he fell over.

The trouble with drafting big strong fast skillful mids is that they go top 10 often top 5. We have not had many picks like that since we drafted Pendles

How often does a Beams at pick 20 iirc come along

Well, of course, Beams isn't all those things. Like most draft picks outside the top 10, he has limitations. His biggest is that he is not quick and, consequently, can be corralled into kicking down the line to a contest. The better teams have fed off that aspect of his game. It would be different if the side had 2 very pacy mids who could set up with him at each contest but the best Collingwood mid (the captain) also lacks pace and, until Freeman, Broomhead and Kennedy become top line players (or Dangerfield joins), we have no suitably pacy alternative. He might actually be much better value for another side with better outside run and leg speed. That might be Brisbane - I don't know because I simply haven't seen enough of them to know.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Call it sour grapes, but I'd noticed teams had to some extend figured Beams out and were playing off him very effectively. I remember a game he was among the best, but his direct opponent had 30 odd and a couple of goals too. Wasn't an isolated incident either.

If we get a top 5 pick + a good solid player for him I think we've come out on top. Also if we're cap squeezed (thanks Clokey), then this may all turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

We can't afford to lose Pendles, Sidebottom or any of the young talent (Broomhead and the SA class of 2012).

*Edit* Also Freeman is a Beams replacement isn't he? Strong clearance player with pace.
jdpie1970 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Wokko wrote:
Call it sour grapes, but I'd noticed teams had to some extend figured Beams out and were playing off him very effectively. I remember a game he was among the best, but his direct opponent had 30 odd and a couple of goals too. Wasn't an isolated incident either.

If we get a top 5 pick + a good solid player for him I think we've come out on top. Also if we're cap squeezed (thanks Clokey), then this may all turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

We can't afford to lose Pendles, Sidebottom or any of the young talent (Broomhead and the SA class of 2012).

*Edit* Also Freeman is a Beams replacement isn't he? Strong clearance player with pace.

Won't know about Freeman until he is 50 games in.
What Beams has that no others, including Pendles, have is penetration by hand . He often creates our run off half back with a lateral 25-30 metre handball on the move. This type of skill set is rare and in some ways is more damaging to the opposition than kicking short as a mark often initiates a "slow play". He has vision that is only surpassed in our team by Pendles. I agree with you in his opponent getting damaging in the later part of the season but this was as much about a dropping off in "help defense" as it was in a general lax defensive attitude of Beams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: