Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
Can't argue with the last bit either. The "worst President in Us history" trophy is bolted into a cabinet in Crawford, and I hope it's safe there for a century.... Looks a good bet.

George W Bush doesn't even make a top 10 list of worst presidents. The worst by a country mile is James Buchanan, but don't let history get in the way of a good old bashing of Dubya.

Also, despite your gushing praise you'll probably find Obama firmly entrenched as the worst President since WW2 in most US citizens eyes with Bush Jr a close run second. Additionally, if race is a social construct and Obama was raised entirely by whites and Asians doesn't that make him socially White or Asian? He's about as black as Tony Abbott.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:04 pm

Wokko wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Can't argue with the last bit either. The "worst President in Us history" trophy is bolted into a cabinet in Crawford, and I hope it's safe there for a century.... Looks a good bet.

George W Bush doesn't even make a top 10 list of worst presidents. The worst by a country mile is James Buchanan, but don't let history get in the way of a good old bashing of Dubya

Geez, do you really mean there are at least another 10 US presidents who oversaw even greater debt increases, more failed 3T wars, worse attacks on home soil, more bungled disaster responses, and even greater financial collapses and losses of national prestige?

Please outline this Buchanan's failures for us, for starters!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:06 pm

it's safe there for a century is a bet. I suppose that makes sense.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Wokko wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

George W Bush doesn't even make a top 10 list of worst presidents. The worst by a country mile is James Buchanan, but don't let history get in the way of a good old bashing of Dubya.

Also, despite your gushing praise you'll probably find Obama firmly entrenched as the worst President since WW2 in most US citizens eyes with Bush Jr a close run second. Additionally, if race is a social construct and Obama was raised entirely by whites and Asians doesn't that make him socially White or Asian? He's about as black as Tony Abbott.

Yes, I've seen polls of historians that rate Buchanan the worst president in Us history. He tends to get the rap for not preventing the civil war, though how he was supposed to do that given the vast historic forces that were in motion toward that war is something that has never been completely explained.

Bush, in 8 majestic years, managed to place the US into a hubristic, uncontrollable and unnecessary war, at a well-documented cost in young Amercian and Iraqi lives and at a huge cost to America's international power and prestige. While doing that, he presided over a collapse in prudential banking and regulatory standards that brought the mighty US economy to near collapse ; he presided over a security failure that saw 19 gangsters kill 3000 people in New York ; over state torture, contrary to the Constitution ; and over a vast expansion in public debt at the end of a massive credit boom, because he loved big government but would not raise taxes to pay for it.

I think Buchanan's record, against very different challenges, measures up as merely clueless, rather than malevolently incompetent.

If you are referring to Gallup's presidential approval ratings, then Obama, presiding over Bush's recession in a highly polarised age, comes out among the lowest, but like most presidents, he's within a percentage point or two of the mean. I don't think serious commentators and analysts would rate Obama below Nixon, Ford, or Carter - let alone GW.

Obama's skin colour is pretty irrelevant except to those who claim the US is racist, and as a visible symbol of America's long, slow, painful journey away from slavery. I think most people woild feel that a black-skinned community organiser from South Chicago is a litttle "blacker" than Tony Abbott.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:08 pm

Monday night football in the USA. NFL is America's game and the TV audience is massive. Crash bang, colour and action.
Players are often known after scoring a touchdown to drop to a knee in thanks, or cross themselves, or maybe point up to the sky....thank you Jesus (very American!). Anyway good luck to them.
Last Monday's game saw Husain Abdullah of the Kansas City Chiefs grab an interception and sprint into the end zone for a touchdown. He thanked God too, however he slid to his knees and bowed forward with his helmet touching the ground.
The result, a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. The Moslem prayer copped a penalty.
The NFL later issued a statement indicating the referees had erred.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2014/09/30/nfl-chiefs-safety-husain-abdullah-should-not-have-been-penalized/16471261/
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Is this really the last one?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:14 pm

sixpoints wrote:
Monday night football in the USA. NFL is America's game and the TV audience is massive. Crash bang, colour and action.
Players are often known after scoring a touchdown to drop to a knee in thanks, or cross themselves, or maybe point up to the sky....thank you Jesus (very American!). Anyway good luck to them.
Last Monday's game saw Husain Abdullah of the Kansas City Chiefs grab an interception and sprint into the end zone for a touchdown. He thanked God too, however he slid to his knees and bowed forward with his helmet touching the ground.
The result, a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. The Moslem prayer copped a penalty.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2014/09/30/nfl-chiefs-safety-husain-abdullah-should-not-have-been-penalized/16471261/

Wowee, that is disgraceful.

What next, banning minarets and religious clothing? Oops, France and Switzerland have already beaten them (and Tony Abbott) to the punch.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:39 am

pietillidie wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

Wowee, that is disgraceful.

What next, banning minarets and religious clothing? Oops, France and Switzerland have already beaten them (and Tony Abbott) to the punch.

Looks like what was next was the NFL giving the ref a red card...

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:10 am

^I should hope so. Can they give France and Switzerland red cards, too?

I have no desire to look deeper into NFL, but did the league and the refs' association take different views on this? Confusing article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2014/10/02/referee-association-says-nfl-graded-abdullah-flag-as-correct/16602205/

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:38 am

pietillidie wrote:
^I should hope so. Can they give France and Switzerland red cards, too?

I have no desire to look deeper into NFL, but did the league and the refs' association take different views on this? Confusing article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2014/10/02/referee-association-says-nfl-graded-abdullah-flag-as-correct/16602205/

It's classed as unsportsmanlike behavior under the rules. I've seen lots of red flags thrown because players dropped to their knees after scoring a touchdown, etc. it's got zero to do with the fact he was praying.

This is why it's now call the No Fun League.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:48 am

^Fair enough.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Is it possible we have now actually jumped the shark in this thread?

Lucky the flag can't be thrown for the Lambeau Leap or we'd have a real conflict on our hands.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Despite the spin we have troops on the ground. Call them advisers but I would point out that's what we called them in 1962 in South Vietnam. A ground offensive will happen and it has to happen.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Is it possible we have now actually jumped the shark in this thread?

Lucky the flag can't be thrown for the Lambeau Leap or we'd have a real conflict on our hands.

speaking of which, why kill to white pointers? its not a sharks fault someone swims there

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:25 am

Emma Alberici tries to interview a supporter of ISIS in Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2014/s4103227.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 19 of 128   

Jump to: