Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So we've got pick 5 and 30. Who do you want?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 1 picks do not necessarily give you the best player. History tells us that. I have no idea about all these kids and from what I hear it's a pretty even bunch. Maybe we are better off telling Brisbane that we want an established player and their second rounder for Beams.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Pick 4, Mayes and an exchange of second round picks for Beams.

Pick 22 for Lumumba.

On trade Pick 22 and 24 for O'Rourke.

We lose Beams and Lumumba but gain pick 4, Moore, O'Rourke (2) and Mayes (Cool.

I'd be content with that.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Damien wrote:
No. 1 picks do not necessarily give you the best player. History tells us that. I have no idea about all these kids and from what I hear it's a pretty even bunch. Maybe we are better off telling Brisbane that we want an established player and their second rounder for Beams.

I think Petracca the standout where our needs are concerned. I have zero interest in the talls.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:43 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Damien wrote:

I think Petracca the standout where our needs are concerned. I have zero interest in the talls.

So who do you have interest in then?

The problem I see for us this year is that possibly 7 out of the top 10 rated prospects are key position players.

If we retain pick 4 (5) then any midfield player we take at that selection will most likely end up being picked ahead of there considered worth.

Obviously how Hine rates them is all that matters and he might have a Pendlebury surprise up his sleeve.

Below are 4 players who appear the most likely to be considered should we opt against taking another tall.

Jarrod Picket 180cm/76kg
The lightning quick West Australian made his senior WAFL debut two weeks ago, and last weekend kicked the match-winning goal for South Fremantle. When up and going, Pickett is a player you'd pay to watch. He has the speed (he ran a 2.8 second 20-metre sprint in January) to cut through the lines, and the skill to deliver. He's in this spot because of his elite talent. With some more consistency he could be anything.

Jayden Laverde 189cm/82kg
One of the most exciting prospects available. Laverde played a little bit of everywhere throughout the U18 championships but is a creative option all over the ground. Quick, tall and athletic, he enjoys having the ball in his hands and can produce some moments of pace or skill that make you take notice.

Paul Ahern 181cm/77kg
Ahern could be selected in the first handful at the draft, and he has plenty of fans amongst the clubs. There's an reason for that, because he has something that sets him apart - speed. Ahern is quick, and it gets him out of trouble and allows him to set up the play. The gap between his best and worst needs to shrink, but with his class around goal and the midfield, and ability to carry the ball, he can open a game up.

Lachie Weller 181cm/71kg
Weller brings some class to the draft, and you know when he has the ball he's going to do something good with it. A minor knee problem has restricted him a little bit since the U18 championships, but he still remains one of the premium midfielders available. Weller's kicking is at an elite level, he has a turn of pace and enjoys moving forward and hitting the scoreboard.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-15/phantom-draft-form-guide

Laverde seems to be a player who divides opinion with some considering him a top 5 selection wihile others a late first rounder. He's not a genuine midfielder at this stage but has scope to become one down the track.
Has the size advantage the others do not. If he tests well at the combine he could be a draft bolter. Clayton and GCS were said to be fans.

Pickett obviously has a lot of talent but our success rate with Aboriginal boys is pretty lousy. Given he's from WA and the make up of our side is currently whiter than a role of Sorbent he may struggle to settle with us though this may come down to his personality type.

Is said to be a bit lazy when it comes to defensive running.

For me if Hine is a fan and we take him we should make it a drafting strategy to take 1 or 2 other Aboriginal boys Hine rates in this draft so we have a small group coming through together.

The other two prospects sound like they also have one or two of the mandatory skill sets we should be looking for in this draft and that's speed and/or elite disposal.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:02 pm

swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Damien wrote:

So who do you have interest in then?

I told you, it's Petracca or bust this year for me Very Happy.

But another I've take an interest in is Tom Lamb (tall, attacking midfielder; he could be this year's Bonty). Then of course there's Brayshaw who looks the obvious pick at 4, hoping that the Saints and Dees both go tall as I expect the Giants to pounce on either Petracca or Brayshaw.

So my top 3 at the moment are:
1. Petracca
2. Brayshaw
3. Lamb

Though I should also be looking for a smaller, quicker type, maybe throw Weller in next, but to be taken with a later pick not pick 4.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Brayshaw will go top 3 IMO.

Guaranteed to if Melbourne get pick 3.

Lamb divides opinions and Hine would have to be a real fan if we use such a high pick on him.

Unlike you I'm not so against taking a key position forward if Hine rates them clearly above the rest. Not interested in defenders.

We haven't had much opportunity to take a top 5 rated forward prospect for quite sometime and putting all your hope on Moore making it carries some risk.

If both were to be successes 4 years down the track then no one would be complaining, it would be a major win but I'm not sure the club wants to wait 4 years for pick 4 to bear some fruit.

I'm more interested in McCartin than Wright but McCartin will be gone unless Melbourne don't receive pick 3 for Frawley.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:37 pm

There's a few reasons why I'm dead against a tall forward with pick 4:

1. We're getting one at 8 who I think is a better fit than the others
2. They are hit and miss
3. They take a long time
4. We badly need another potentially elite mid
5. We're gonna get Cameron next year Very Happy

Sure if there's a player of superstar potential, we shouldn't pass if we're not too into the available mids, but I don't really see that being the case. And it's not all eggs in the Moore basket, we can pursue other avenues if we like, just not pick 4.

And the reason I've put Lamb so high is not because he's a sure thing, but because his ceiling is probably higher than anyone else. He's one of the newmen, a pacey 193cm attacking mid. Seems like he needs to get his head right more than anything.

Anyway, we'll see some major changes in the consensus thinking over the next few weeks. Right now the mockers don't actually know what the clubs think, they're just guessing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamb do a Bontempelli and shoot up the board.

I see McCartin and Wright likely to go top 3. Petracca as well. That's a good chance of us being able to pick Brayshaw at 4. But we know Hine and he will very rarely pick the most obvious player, so even if Brayshaw's available I'd not be surprised if he went another way.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:43 pm

I see that Petracca is a Collingwood supporter.

Man oh man how can we turn pick 4 into pick 1?

Saints are in full on rebuild mode so would they ever entertain pick 1 for pick 4, 22 (Lumumba) and 24 (Beams)?

How else within reason could we upgrade to pick 1?

Petracca is just the type of midfielder we need.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:27 pm

Doh!
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:08 am

Brisbane have been saying something worth listening to this week. Greg Swann reckons that Frawley is not worth pick 3. I agree, let's hope the AFL uses common sense here.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Beams and our 3rd rounder for picks 4, 24 and Merrett.

Pick 4 (5), Lumumba and Merrett for pick 2.

Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Saints are in full on rebuild mode so would they ever entertain pick 1 for pick 4, 22 (Lumumba) and 24 (Beams)?

Beams to the bears

4 and patfull to gws

jaksch and o'rouke to st blunder

Pick 1 (Petracca) to pies
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Like that a lot, Museman. However, I reckon GWS would rather just take pick 1 for themselves.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Museman wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Beams to the bears

4 and patfull to gws

jaksch and o'rouke to st blunder

Pick 1 (Petracca) to pies

Problem is GWS would be better off just trading for pick 1 themselves with Jaksch and O'Rourke.

They are said to want Petracca.

Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:37 pm

roar wrote:
Like that a lot, Museman. However, I reckon GWS would rather just take pick 1 for themselves.

Counting on Patfulls favouring gws and assuming because he does that they have an interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22   

Jump to: