Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Posting with permission from Eddie

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:09 am
Post subject: Re: HmmmmReply with quote

[quote="joffa corfe"]
Hiss wrote:
We've decided not to go next year! This business of breaking up the cheer squad into three fragments seems totally silly! You have not explained why it is so essential! Again a break with tradition! The very thing that has killed the Collingwood as we knew it! Now look! Panic and more silly decisions! How about a real decent Social Club and a recognition of our real home ground Victoria Park! Joffa I know you are trying but the failing of our club is much bigger than the puerile attempts to fire the lost spirit with renaming parts of our seating arrangements and banners! The MCG was never and will never be a ground for Pies fans. It is a lonely cold expensive place that the corporate types are trying to tell us we should find our passion in! Joffa breaking up the cheer squad is blatantly silly! Sorry old chap . We need a fans administration at Collingwood that recognize our past holds the answers to our future

Let me be perfectly honest Hiss from someone who has been on the inner for nearly fifteen years, The Cheer Squad killed off itself on the basis many people dont and never realised what the cheer squad was all about. The club over the years has bent over backwards in trying to get the Cheer Squad up and going and where are we now ? Low numbers, No noise, No passion, We who have failed in the Cheer Squad owe the club an apology. Its amazing that those who have spent a decade criticising the Cheer Squad are now criticising this new idea. But thats how it goes i guess, Many people cant and dont comprehend change. The cheer Squad has not been broken up so to speak it has become two bays bigger with a more inclusive name..The Barrackers End Smile[/quote

Well Joffa that does make sense ! I even thought it might have been the behaviour of the MCG security goons always intimidating our Cheer squad that killed the passion! But I love your loyalty and passion and for that we will be there next year! For us mad loud one eyed fans where do you recommend we sit ? I want to do my bit to help the cause! Alas , I would welcome your thoughts about a social club however ! I stand by my comments about what the Club did in wrecking what we had at the VP social club

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I received mail regarding reserved seating in the Ponsford End and the details regarding the active area from the club.

The letter seemed to suggest that it was only sent out to those who have reserved seating in the area where the cheersquad and active area will be occupied next year. So from reading it the cheersquad will be reallocated to M33 where my current reserved seat is located and the bays surrounding it will be occupied with an active supporters area.

These are the three options that I can choose to consider regarding my reserve seat:
1). Remain in M33 and become a member of the cheersquad
If I choose this option this means I will go onto a waiting list to become a part of the official cheersquad of the club. Those who opt to choose option 1 will be given reserved seating behind the cheersquad in M33.

2). Move your seat to an adjacent bay (M32) and be a part of the broader group of vocal supporters on the ground level of the Ponsford Stand.
This option entails that I become a part of the active supporters group and my reserve seat will differ very slightly. The row and seat number remains the same but the aisle is different.

3). Move your seat to an alternative area
I guess this area suggests anything outside the region of M32, M33 and maybe M34 as I thought the active area/cheersquad will cover three aisles of the Ponsford end.

As a member I have been given a form to fill out deciding which option I'd like to pursue and this needs to be sent back by Friday October 3 2014. Overall it's good to see that the club is addressing this problem.

Has anyone else received a similar letter from the club?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:29 am

Not yet and we are in the bays mentioned!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:06 am

think positive wrote:
Not yet and we are in the bays mentioned!

I assume the letter will only be sent to those who are directly affected by the changes.

This means those who have reserved seating in m32, m33 and possibly m34.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:50 am

I always liked sitting with or near the unofficial cheer squad in the 90's. Made tons of noise/rude chants/police warnings. Was great. One of my favourite moments was getting the idiot 'kick a vic' Adelaide sign guy to sit down and put his moronic sign away. Laughing

The cheer squad needs some mongrel, not just "Collingwood *clap clap clap*"
Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Jezza wrote:
Today I received mail regarding reserved seating in the Ponsford End and the details regarding the active area from the club.

The letter seemed to suggest that it was only sent out to those who have reserved seating in the area where the cheersquad and active area will be occupied next year. So from reading it the cheersquad will be reallocated to M33 where my current reserved seat is located and the bays surrounding it will be occupied with an active supporters area.

These are the three options that I can choose to consider regarding my reserve seat:
1). Remain in M33 and become a member of the cheersquad
If I choose this option this means I will go onto a waiting list to become a part of the official cheersquad of the club. Those who opt to choose option 1 will be given reserved seating behind the cheersquad in M33.

2). Move your seat to an adjacent bay (M32) and be a part of the broader group of vocal supporters on the ground level of the Ponsford Stand.
This option entails that I become a part of the active supporters group and my reserve seat will differ very slightly. The row and seat number remains the same but the aisle is different.

3). Move your seat to an alternative area
I guess this area suggests anything outside the region of M32, M33 and maybe M34 as I thought the active area/cheersquad will cover three aisles of the Ponsford end.

As a member I have been given a form to fill out deciding which option I'd like to pursue and this needs to be sent back by Friday October 3 2014. Overall it's good to see that the club is addressing this problem.

Has anyone else received a similar letter from the club?

yes...got mine today (M33 Legends) ...ticked the remain in M33 box
optimax 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Haven't received mine, but happy to stay in M32
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
That's a great post Scribe.

Thank you.

It wasn't wasted on me mate.

^^ Ditto
Nick's is desperately in need of fresh, smart ideas; hell, we've got more than enough dumb arses and whingers.

Sav 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:31 am

joffa corfe wrote:
blackandwhite4life wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
STOKA35 wrote:
Port now have the never tear us apart at the start of the game which has taken off for them.
Maybe we could do something similar or the slow collingwood chant scarve wave before the game starts?

Great suggestions mate and thank you, We have probably decided that the long slow Collingwood chant is best left to the last quarter as a victory chant..Cant wait to get it going next year Smile

Agree with this regarding the slow chant.
It losses it's potency when tried all the time.
Big moments in big games ONLY, in my opinion.

At the risk of repeating myself - let's try ZERO artificial noise leading up to the bounce. At least try it, this is how it used to be.
I guarantee the crowd will make the atmosphere down our end!!

What about the long, slow and LOUD Collingwood chant starting consistently, about 90 seconds before the first bounce, as a regular entrance to a Collingwood game for the opposition and their fans. In the same way that the 'Walk Alone' moment for Liverpool fans or the 'haka' moment for All black fans works, as it's special, it's unique, it's envied by opposition fans and it hasn't hurt those 2 teams results over the years.

But please, no song!

Im listening to ya mate and we have tried it but it just does not work pre game, I know that the pre match 2010 Pre lim and Grand Final was unique on the basis of the event..Home and Away games are a little different Smile
port play their song loud as hell over the pa at adelaide oval with port graphics accompanied on every screen in the ground while they display their scarves above their heads and sing along for the last minute up to the opening bounce. They ripped off the idea from liverpool soccer club but it works.
Pies could play a low slow thundering collingwood chant through the pa at the g that gradually gets loader and more thunderous upto the opening bounce. All the screens at the g can have collingwood vision to accompany it, crowd can join in, wave their scarves flags floggers etc to make it a intimidating environment for opposition supporters.

The pa and screens are essential to get anything going imo as everyone in the ground can join in not just the 'barrackers' and it'll tick off the oppostion.

Holbrook Bloke Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:36 pm

I wonder what will happen to the cheer squads for interstate games. This year Collingwood, to their credit, did their utmost to involve members of our club to be a part of the cheer squad. We were given priority access to rows 4 & 5 behind the goals and amongst the cheer squad. If they were after more colour & movement they achieved the colour but by and large the movement was still absent. This is the first time I've sat amongst the cheer squad and i was full of admiration for the firestarters as I called them. These poor souls tried to fire up chant after chant, each time enthusing those around us for a limited time. But I was also annoyed by the constant bickering by some members. It was embarrassing. I loved that the entire bay was black & white and in full song, especially the slow Collingwod chant, it was spine tingling and made me so very proud to be a Collingwood supporter.
I'm a passionate and mad supporter who can get carried away like many of us but I'd be no good in a cheer squad - most times I just want to concentrate on the game.
If Eddie is looking at all facets of the game to engage supporters, how about more interaction with the cheer squad after a win. Maybe they take beating the Swans for granted up here but usually at the end of a game the players trudge in the direction of the cheer squad, stop about 20 metres out and clap us.
Last year for the first time in ages they came up and high fived supporters along the boundary line and looked genuinely happy. I thought Bucks may have initiated it but it happened again this year with just a few of the younger players, gleefully running along the boundary line.
Maybe the players, like many supporters have grown complacent in the knowledge we are the biggest in the league and our supporters will maintain their rusted on support, come what may.

Camelia Grove Hotel - The best AFL pub in Sydney all season, not just the finals.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Holbrook Bloke wrote:
I wonder what will happen to the cheer squads for interstate games. This year Collingwood, to their credit, did their utmost to involve members of our club to be a part of the cheer squad. We were given priority access to rows 4 & 5 behind the goals and amongst the cheer squad. If they were after more colour & movement they achieved the colour but by and large the movement was still absent. This is the first time I've sat amongst the cheer squad and i was full of admiration for the firestarters as I called them. These poor souls tried to fire up chant after chant, each time enthusing those around us for a limited time. But I was also annoyed by the constant bickering by some members. It was embarrassing. I loved that the entire bay was black & white and in full song, especially the slow Collingwod chant, it was spine tingling and made me so very proud to be a Collingwood supporter.
I'm a passionate and mad supporter who can get carried away like many of us but I'd be no good in a cheer squad - most times I just want to concentrate on the game.
If Eddie is looking at all facets of the game to engage supporters, how about more interaction with the cheer squad after a win. Maybe they take beating the Swans for granted up here but usually at the end of a game the players trudge in the direction of the cheer squad, stop about 20 metres out and clap us.
Last year for the first time in ages they came up and high fived supporters along the boundary line and looked genuinely happy. I thought Bucks may have initiated it but it happened again this year with just a few of the younger players, gleefully running along the boundary line.
Maybe the players, like many supporters have grown complacent in the knowledge we are the biggest in the league and our supporters will maintain their rusted on support, come what may.

Personally, I have always thought the Club's interstate appeal has been under utilised. Collingwood has by far and away the biggest appeal outside of our home state. To the point where games v Brisbane, GWS and Gold Coast look and sound like a Collingwood home game and the Sydney game is the biggest and best attended game of regular season sport in Sydney every year.

We need to ditch the Docklands games and play them interstate I say.

The myth about us having 14 MCG "home" games is absolute BS because games against Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn are also "home" games for them, regardless who is listed first on the fixture.

Then we have the high farce of playing "home" games at Docklands against Dogs, Saints or Roos.

Play at least 1 game in each state and pick two states to visit twice. Sydney/Adelaide one year, Brisbane/Perth the next.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:46 pm

die4pies wrote:
The myth about us having 14 MCG "home" games is absolute BS because games against Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn are also "home" games for them, regardless who is listed first on the fixture.

Yep. Also with away games against Essendon and Carlton. So in ACTUAL home games at the MCG, we play 9 or 10 games, just about the same as the others.. Rolling Eyes
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:33 pm

So nice of Eddie to send Joffa here to placate the faithful, shows he understands the importance of 'ordinary' people going to the footy. A club won't survive if all it has is the champagne sipping, caviar-munching corporate people looking down their patrician noses at how 'cute' we are in our Black & White garb.
Still, it saddens me a bit to think that no one can see this thread for what it is, but at least someone pointed out that the great moments of supporting Collingwood at the game were spontaneous, like the 2010 Geelong prelim.

Oh, and great post Scribe, very well written, but I don't subscribe to your gloomy view. But then I was raised in Dandenong, Dandy North actually, so what would I know?

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: