Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#6 Brodie Holland

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Will agree with kristen and others about Cole. One admires his tackling ability and acknowledge his endeavour and pace BUT he is found lacking in a number of fields. His disposal last reason was bloody awful and it frankly hasn't improved whereas others with similar deficiencies like Johnson, Shaw and even Cloke can be seen to have improved. He tackles well especially around stoppages but tends to rather loose in defence and his tendency to go for the speccy options at times could be done without. He is a 2nd year player and frankly he lacks a lot of maturity and, whilst openly acknowledging his positives and with nothing personal against him, do question his first team future. He could be trade bait over the next season.
On Rupe, he may have been harshly treated but has never really shown the performace level in the seniors that demands selection. Williams is way out of form and would generally do with a trip to the seconds but in a pick of him at his best vs Rupe at best, Williams to my mind offers more.

Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:58 am

Blanch wrote:
Who else's opinion should I refer to??

I was asking for your evaluation, I am well aware of Malthouse's. Williams would have been gone a long time ago if Malthouse was unhappy with him.

Blanch wrote:
I am only stating that MM had positive comments regarding Willo's game on Sat night. Read into that what you will, the way I read into it is that MM thought Willo did ok, therefore did his job - whatever it may have been.

I don't know how u perceived that Malthouse made positive comments re: Williams' game. MM said that although Willo got 0 disposals he did put pressure on the opposition. From this u read that MM thought he did OK and therefore did his job.... isn't that ASSUming?

so in answer to your questions;

1. Did MM make reference to Willo's game in a positive way?
Yes, but this does not mean that MM was happy with Willo's game, neither you nor I know the context in which he made that statement. He could have been asked by a journo if he thought Williams was crap, and obviously not wanting to berate the player in public, tried to draw a positive.

2. Did MM make reference to BK's game at all? No, does this mean BK's game was worse that Williams? I don't think so.

3. Did I make any reference to anything different from the answers to the above questions?
Yeah u did, my answers a 'little' different to yours.

Blanch wrote:
I understand that many here have a problem with the way Willo is performing. He did set the standard pretty high early on. This is how I see it. MM is the coach for a bloody good reason. He knows better than us. I trust his judgement.

Because a coach is doing really well does not mean that he is not prone to making errors or can't improve. Look at Scotland as an example. Shows you that sometimes a coach can overlook a very good player.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:30 am

Maybe we should agree to disagree on Willo. Many of you have made your mind up about him (much like many had made their mind up on Rogan, Dids, Leon etc).

I wasn't having a go at BK at all, I was just stating it's hard to judge MM's opinion when there was no comment made. I think anyone would be unlucky to lose their position to Brodie. As for MM's comments on Willo's game....well they were hardly negative were they?

I'm not really a huge Willo fan, I just think that MM has got it right too many times for me to think I know better. We've seen what he is capable of early in the year. As yet nobody has told me the impact of Willo's opponent on Saturday night....who did he play on and what impact did they have?

AGAIN I say that none of us here know the roles given, therefore cannot accurately judge performances.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:46 pm

Blanch wrote:
As yet nobody has told me the impact of Willo's opponent on Saturday night....who did he play on and what impact did they have?

AGAIN I say that none of us here know the roles given, therefore cannot accurately judge performances.

This is an extract from Brad Gotch's Ask The Coaches column from the Official Site. On Andrew Williams;

"....we attacked last weekend with him playing on Lappin on the wing...."
"....he might have just struggled to go with him...."
"We then put him in the goalsquare, which he can be good at because he’s good overhead, but apart from that one mark he took that got taken off him, he couldn’t really…he was leading and presenting and making space, but he wasn’t making a impact."

[/i]
Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:17 pm

I think Gotch has summed up Williams performance fairly and with that sort of comment coming from one of the coaches you would have to think that Williams position is in real doubt and rightfully so cos his efforts in the second half of the season have been well below par, he hasn't got enough of the poor and has made to many mistakes on the rare occasions that he has got it and also seems reluctant to put his body on the line and commit to the hard contests.

As for Cole I have just started a new thread about him so everyone is welcome comment
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:55 pm

Thanks Daniel for the Gotch quotes. I still think it will go down to who we play and match ups. Willo will stay in the 22 is my 2 cents worth. I'm right behind him (like i'm behind the rest of the squad)

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Magpie_Dan Taurus

The KING And I

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:01 pm

I cant belive u have said Richard Cole he is one of the stars of our side and played a blinder against the Lion last week! I think he will come in for either Williams or Walker will ahve to step down!

Go The Pies!

Dan

Go The Richo!

UNLEASH THE VL TURBO!
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:11 pm

Probably either Kinnear, or Cole.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
peter_pies4ever 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:06 pm

Don't discount Betheras coming back in the team at the expense of someone else. Malthouse has said it is horses for courses where he will pick the best team that is suited to our opponents. Even though Betheras has had limited opportunities this year Malthouse still may use him in the finals series as a wildcard.
TaZ_LuVs_EmIn3m Gemini

*~KeViN is GoRjOuZ~*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:25 pm

IN: HOLLAND
OUT: KINNEAR

i think kinnear isnt as good as holland when it comes to a lot of skills...havin brodie back to help with the taggin will be GREAT!!

Although he has missed 2 great games he has spent many matches this year probing he isnt a 1 hit wonder no more....he deserves to be played!!

Interesting more Sinkers than Floaters....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:18 am

I don't think Kinnear will be dropped. If U watch the game he played versus Brisbane I thought he played really well despite the low posessions. His disposal in close is really good and even when he doesn't take a clean grab, he contests.

Walker mite be dropped as he is inexperienced, but I definitely want Williams to go.... needs to grow a heart.
Molly Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:52 am

brodie obviously has to come back in - and ideally i'd like to see williams go. i think hes the player that has contributed the least to the team over the past (i dont know how many) weeks. In reality, i think either tex or BK will go, although i thought they both did enough to warrrant selection again next week.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:07 pm

Who knows, Brodie might get injured on Sunday, making this discussion pointless and a waste of cyber space.

FFS ppl, we are one win away from a Grand Final and all you can think about is who to drop. You are only as good as your last game, and that last game wasn't too bad, was it?

If attitudes are like this when we are winning, I'm glad I wasn't here during the dark days of the mid 90's.

If it's of any interest to anyone, Gotchy wants to play Brodes in the midfield on Sunday, just to get some run into his legs, but it will depend on the Port Melbourne line-up. Richo is also due back, so who knows, maybe Richo will play a blinder and get a surprise recall for the prelim. Then there's McG, Leon, Freezer, Shack, Stunning, Bo, Maxie, Mullins, Kingy, Guy, Clokey and Swanny (apologies to anyone I have missed) who are all straining at the bit to get a senior game.

At this time of year, not everyone is a certainty to get a game. Some will get lucky, others will be unlucky, but whoever gets the nod, I'm sure they'll have a specific job to do and if they fail, they'll not only let themselves down, they'll let the whole club down.

Willo is obviously in the side because he has a job to do, and for him to retain his place, he is obviously doing his job.

Lets all just back off a little and let the selection committee worry about who to drop and who to bring in. That's their job, not ours.

Hooked
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:10 pm

I would think it would be wise to leave in Kinnear and Walker. They are both showing quite a bit - don't forget Kinnear towelled up Wellman. They are awkward sizes to match up on - unless its wet.

Dry Day:
In: Brode
Out: Williams

Wet Day:
In: Brode, McGough/Betheras
Out: Kinnear, Walker
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:37 pm
Post subject: Brodie HollandReply with quote

All the talk this year has been about which players will get a run in the midfield. Names which have emerged are Johnson, Didak, Caracella, morrison, Rowe, Cole, Lonie, Davis and even tarrant remarkably. Definately looking at the pace of the midfield, Rowe and Johnson, and when fully fit Didak will all spend time in the centre. However, who will be moved away from the centre, who will sacrifice their positions?

Looking at the structure of the team, the first name which I identified as possibly been removed from the midfield was Brodie Holland. Brodie started as a crafty forward pocket with a good goal sense and has developed into a very handy tagger. No doubt brodie will spend time in the middle this year, however with the calibre of players gunning for a midfield role, could it possibly be time to move holland back up forward as a goal sneak. The midfield at present has become predictable, and a revamp is on the cards. No doubt mick will try things this year.

I would like to see Holland in the middle for tight games against slower midfields such as essendon or sydney or adelaide. But against teams such as west coast, power, saints and fremantle, we may require more pace and he could be moved up forward. This would make us more unpredictable. No doubt Buckley and Burns will also spend time up forward. I think this is a good thing. When things are not functioning, mick could mix the team around. It will leave teams on their toes.

Brodie Hollands strengths are his tagging abilities, guts, craftiness and a good sense of where the goals are.
Weaknesses however include his lack of height, often lack of discipline (he sometimes tries to throw his weight around against bigger opponents) and he is not the fastest player in the team.

I would love to see Brodie move up forward at times this year freeing up caracella, Davis and Didak or allowing a spot in the middle for Lonie, Johnson or Rowe.

Thoughts everyone? Just a suggestion and im interested to gauge opinions on the future of brodie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18   

Jump to: