Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recruit some cnut, some mongrel, some intimidators

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already excited by Witts massive potential.

Those clunking marks he took against Hawthorn will become the norm for this kid very soon (he's a babe in football terms with a limited AFL background but just look how much he has improved each year he's been at the club) and his tap work at times was sublime. He's better than Sandilands was at the same stage of his career and Sandlands came from a footballing background.

As an enforcing presence I don't know if he has that touch of mongrel required but he's still a kid and may learn the pure joy of crashing the opposition into the ground.

Here's hoping.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:25 pm

Flashman wrote:

Those clunking marks he took against Hawthorn will become the norm for this kid very soon (he's a babe in football terms with a limited AFL background but just look how much he has improved each year he's been at the club) and his tap work at times was sublime. He's better than Sandilands was at the same stage of his career and Sandlands came from a footballing background.

As an enforcing presence I don't know if he has that touch of mongrel required but he's still a kid and may learn the pure joy of crashing the opposition into the ground.

Here's hoping.

He loves tackling players and throwing them around like rag dolls....that's got to be a good sign. Cool
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Here's our current likely enforcers over the next 2-3 years:

Witts
Grundy
Frost
Goldy
Brown
Williams
Adams

That's not a bad start.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Flashman wrote:

Here's hoping.

In Witts first games he was overtly aggressive in his approach which was great to see a big man imposing his presence on the opposition. Unfortunately that aggression has been umpire out of him for the time being, mainly due to the constant ruck infringements being paid against him almost every time that aggression rises to the surface. Given time he'll find that happy place where he can be aggressive without giving away unnecessary free kicks.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:41 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Here's our current likely enforcers over the next 2-3 years:

Witts
Grundy
Frost
Goldy
Brown
Williams
Adams

That's not a bad start.

Not a bad start indeed. I'd really like to see marley progress into the midfield with a licence to hurt.

I'd really like the club to make this a priority when assessing future talent. ie, if 2 players are roughly equal in most attributes, pick the one who has white line fever and intimidates on the field rather than the kid who's a good citizen.

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:52 pm

I know I sound like a broken record, but Jake Kelly could've filled so many roles - enforcer, endurance, foot skills, size and strength.

Did anyone at the info night hear why they skipped over him?
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:02 pm
Post subject: Re: Recruit some cnut, some mongrel, some intimidatorsReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
The way footy is played today, the days of snipers and thugs are over and that's a good thing.

However, there's still plenty of room for hard players.

Goldsack for us is as hard as a cats head but he's an introvert. He will tackle and chase and hurt players when he does it, but he's about as intimidating as the paddle pop lion. And that's not a criticism of Goldie, he's about our hardest player so he's on top of a very soft tower.

I'm not suggesting our players are soft. But do we have any players who would make opposition players think twice about stepping in front of?
Would you get between Luke Hodge and a football? He's no thug but he's hard in a way that Sellwood wishes he was.

Maxwell recognised that we lacked in this area and tried to artificially provide what we lacked. Credit Maxy, but not your gig.

We need some hard bodied nasty pricks who will lead the way on field and shame others into following.

So, who's out there available?

Christian Petracca says hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: