Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scottish independence referendum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The people have spoken.
What a sensationally energizing process for the people of Scotland (and also for the rest of the UK).
It makes you recognize & analyze your beliefs in democracy & your nations place in the contemporary world.
It will not be a stymie, it will be a fulcrum for change. Now we await the Pledge that Cameron, Clegg & Milliband made cone to fruition.
Remember...46% of Scots want out of the UK immediately. That is a powerful notion. The fact that most want to stay within the UK, does not mean the majority reject some form of change.
To think a country can vote for such monumental change in a climate of such civility is a tribute to the entire peoples of the UK (& yes that means England too).
Thanks to Morrigu & Mugwump for their contributions to this thread. Besides them, I'm sorry IMHO no one else added any quality to such a complex T
issue.
I'm disappointed, but a realist in relation to the result. But what makes me proud is how the Scottish people conducted themselves & how for once non-Scots may get some appreciation of how the UK works from a Scottish perspective.
The majority want to remain within the UK, so that wish will be respected.
Excuse me, but I will now be in absentia due to consoling excessive drinking for a number of days.

Last edited by sixpoints on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:32 pm

^ cheers, sixpoints. Like you I'm deeply proud of the way that Scotland and the UK managed to handle this emotional and divisive issue through the ballot box, with relatively little rancour and no extremism. If 3% of the Scottish people had voted the other way, the result would have been different, and those of us who are heartily glad of the outcome should acknowledge that.

Personally I hope it's a force for a more structured federalism within the uk, including within England, as i think that will be a more stable platform for the future, while allowing greater autonomy and responsibility all round.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ cheers, sixpoints. Like you I'm deeply proud of the way that Scotland and the UK managed to handle this emotional and divisive issue through the ballot box, with relatively little rancour and no extremism. If 3% of the Scottish people had voted the other way, the result would have been different, and those of us who are heartily glad of the outcome should acknowledge that.

Personally I hope it's a force for a more structured federalism within the uk, including within England, as i think that will be a more stable platform for the future, while allowing greater autonomy and responsibility all round.

Stop making sense, you're getting in the way of me drowning my sorrows. Smile Smile
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 pm

sixpoints wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Stop making sense, you're getting in the way of me drowning my sorrows. Smile Smile

Have one for Scotland for me mate, and thanks for the spirited and civil debate along the way.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:48 pm

Interesting comparison.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:04 pm

sixpoints wrote:
The people have spoken.
What a sensationally energizing process for the people of Scotland (and also for the rest of the UK).
It makes you recognize & analyze your beliefs in democracy & your nations place in the contemporary world.
It will not be a stymie, it will be a fulcrum for change. Now we await the Pledge that Cameron, Clegg & Milliband made cone to fruition.
Remember...46% of Scots want out of the UK immediately. That is a powerful notion. The fact that most want to stay within the UK, does not mean the majority reject some form of change.
To think a country can vote for such monumental change in a climate of such civility is a tribute to the entire peoples of the UK (& yes that means England too).
Thanks to Morrigu & Mugwump for their contributions to this thread. Besides them, I'm sorry IMHO no one else added any quality to such a complex T
issue.

I'm disappointed, but a realist in relation to the result. But what makes me proud is how the Scottish people conducted themselves & how for once non-Scots may get some appreciation of how the UK works from a Scottish perspective.
The majority want to remain within the UK, so that wish will be respected.
Excuse me, but I will now be in absentia due to consoling excessive drinking for a number of days.

With the greatest of respect, the average Aussie would care about this about as much as the average Scot would have cared about the Australian Republic referendum.

I do think it will be interesting to see how it plays out though, nearly 50% of the population have made it clear that want away from England. How the marriage works from now on, with that knowledge clear and up front, will be most interesting. Things could all go forward constructively or degenerate. Stay tuned, all will be revealed.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Whit’s fur ye’ll no go by ye! - Sixpoints

Still a vote for the Scottish people to decide was a long time coming and now the people have spoken - hopefully Cameron and his ilk keep their promises!

Won't hold my breath but you never know

Sláinte!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: