The proposed new Active Area

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:27 am
Post subject: Re: The proposed new Active AreaReply with quote

King Monkey wrote:
I love the fact the club has acknowledged a problem and is taking steps to fix it.
Behind the goals, in fact the whole Ponny should be filled to the brim with rabid Collingwood supporters every week instead of being half empty!!

Regarding this proposed Active Area - if it's done properly it could possibly work.
But if not done properly it could be an unmitigated disaster!!

I'm not aware of any details - but it sounds like the plan may be for a whole bay or even 2 bays with multiple "chant leaders" strategically positioned to get people involved.
What I believe we don't actually need, is more contrived prompting to support.
Support, including chanting and singing - comes naturally.
If this comes in, once the gloss of a new experience wears off, for some it will get really annoying being expected to sing & chant when they don't feel like it.

I come from the angle of someone who loves to make noise at the footy, and likes a witty ditty.
("Me & me mates" Very Happy av come up with some truly great, but also some truly awful songs!! : lol: )
But I also understand people like to support in their own way, and not everyone likes to sing at the footy.

My personal opinion is that rather than introduce this "Active Area" as such - the Cheer Squad should be expanded and given reinforcements, with the surrounding areas being occupied by Collingwood supporters who turn up every week.
The noise and support becomes infectious when an area is close to full, those surrounding naturally join in and come along for the ride anyway.

Hopefully the balance is found, and there's no need to move the regular attendees on from their seats.

KM thanks for the input
Looking forward to discussing this with you as the topic grows legs. The model has been decided but we're still very much fine tuning..All positive comments will be taken on board and discussed. Not interested in the negative stuff this is pretty exciting and aint got the time to be bogged down wasteing negative energy BTW thats not directed at you mate!

We're looking at three bays behind the goals Ponsford end....

Lets be honest folks we are at the cross roads with noise, passion, match day excitement, this is not the collingwood way, Lets search for ideas to make this work not moan and groan how it's not going to work.

Ponsford Stand half empty, Cheer Squad with many empty seats..Yet time and time again we look down towards the Punt Road end, Richmond , Hawthorn, Essendon are 3-4 bays wide with colour, hand held banners and noise.

If we dont do something about it now, we may never get the chance it could be a case of it's now or never. Lets run with it, lets make it work.

The Active Supporters End is what the name says, No one is going to be forced to cheer or heaven forbid executed if they dont. Its an invitation to all Collingwood supporters, if you are inclined to cheer on match day, want to make noise on match day, want to get excited on match day, want to join in with three bays actively supporting our club... The Active Supporters End is very much for you

There is No nastiness with the idea, No Agendas, Imagine it... under the banner... The Yarra Falls Active Supporters end!

Lets regain the mantle of being the most passionate loudest supporter group on the planet...at the moment we are not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:28 am

King Monkey wrote:
I love the fact the club has acknowledged a problem and is taking steps to fix it.
Behind the goals, in fact the whole Ponny should be filled to the brim with rabid Collingwood supporters every week instead of being half empty!!

Regarding this proposed Active Area - if it's done properly it could possibly work.

I'm not aware of any details - but it sounds like the plan may be for a whole bay or even 2 bays with multiple "chant leaders" strategically positioned to get people involved.
If this comes in, once the gloss of a new experience wears off, for some it will get really annoying being expected to sing & chant when they don't feel like it.

I come from the angle of someone who loves to make noise at the footy, and likes a witty ditty.
("Me & me mates" Very Happy av come up with some truly great, but also some truly awful songs!! : lol: )
But I also understand people like to support in their own way, and not everyone likes to sing at the footy.

My personal opinion is that rather than introduce this "Active Area" as such - the Cheer Squad should be expanded and given reinforcements, with the surrounding areas being occupied by Collingwood supporters who turn up every week.
The noise and support becomes infectious when an area is close to full, those surrounding naturally join in and come along for the ride anyway.

Hopefully the balance is found, and there's no need to move the regular attendees on from their seats.

KM thanks for the input
Looking forward to discussing this with you as the topic grows legs. The model has been decided but we're still very much fine tuning..All positive comments will be taken on board and discussed. Not interested in the negative stuff this is pretty exciting have not got the time to be bogged down with negative energy BTW thats not directed at you mate!

Lets be honest folks we are at the cross roads with noise, passion, match day excitement, this is not the collingwood way, Lets search for ideas to make this work not moan and groan how it's not going to work.

Ponsford Stand half empty, Cheer Squad with many empty seats..Yet time and time again we look down towards the Punt Road end, Richmond , Hawthorn, Essendon are 3-4 bays wide with colour, hand held banners and noise.

If we dont do something about it now, we may never get the chance it could be a case of it's now or never. Lets run with it, lets make it work.

The Active Supporters End is what the name says, No one is going to be forced to cheer or heaven forbid executed if they dont. Its an invitation to all Collingwood supporters, if you are inclined to cheer on match day, want to make noise on match day, want to get excited on match day, want to join in with three bays actively supporting our club... The Active Supporters End is very much for you

There is No nastiness with the idea, No Agendas, Imagine it... under the banner... The Yarra Falls Active Supporters end!

Lets regain the mantle of being the most passionate loudest supporter group on the planet...at the moment we are not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 am

We sit in bay 31. And attend every week, I'm pretty noisy, often one of a few who join in the cheer squad clap cheer thing. How is seat allocation going to work, do we lose our seats? Or are they somehow going to work out who attends, who doesn't, (the same seats are empty most weeks) and fill the gaps?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:23 pm

We sit in bay 31. And attend every week, I'm pretty noisy, often one of a few who join in the cheer squad clap cheer thing. How is seat allocation going to work, do we lose our seats? Or are they somehow going to work out who attends, who doesn't, (the same seats are empty most weeks) and fill the gaps?

I think this is a very crucial aspect of this.
It simply won't work if people who turn up every week and are happy with where they sit - are forced to move. (Solve one problem, but create a few others.....)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:29 pm

King Monkey wrote:

KM thanks for the input
Looking forward to discussing this with you as the topic grows legs. The model has been decided but we're still very much fine tuning..All positive comments will be taken on board and discussed. Not interested in the negative stuff this is pretty exciting have not got the time to be bogged down with negative energy BTW thats not directed at you mate!

In my opinion, it has to be about getting bums-on-seats in the area firstly - before worrying about chants, banners, flags, etc. That sort of stuff can evolve over time with input from people who are involved.

The noise and atmosphere will flow naturally if the area is chocka-block every week with Collingwood members.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:38 pm

I remember some thirteen years ago here on Nicks Board when just about everyone said it was stupid and a waste of time to try and get the Long Slow Collingwood Chant happening.

good point Joffa, I remember the chant was heard vs Port (2002?), and many people on Nicks tried hard to get that wonderful chant happening again. Then a few years later it it happened at it was beautiful!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:42 pm

The Active Supporters End will be the most sought after piece of real estate in The MCG..Mark my words. EXCITING!!

Last edited by joffa corfe on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:43 pm

2003 Prelim.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Will it be allocated to Reserved Seat Members, Season Ticket Members, a combination of both????

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm definitely not against this initiative. I reckon it can be a fantastic area for passionate Collingwood members and supporters but I am rather sceptical of how this will operate and function in some aspects as the information we've received as member is ambiguous and unclear at the present time. Several people including myself are worried that we're going to lose our reserve seat privileges despite being in attendance for the majority of Victorian games this season so I hope Joffa can answer these questions if possible:

1). How long has this idea of an 'active supporters' area been discussed and considered for? Is this a recent idea due to a poor attendance rate by the club or has this been a long-term idea and it's only now that the idea is close to being implemented.

2). Will the official 'active supporters' area consist of the whole area of level 1 of the Ponsford end or is it reduced to certain bays in this area? Is it going to be seen in m32, m33 and m34 or m31, m32 and m33 as you suggested earlier?

3). Will loyal and devoted reserved seat holders lose their reserved seat privileges if they currently hold a reserved seat in these areas or will they be able to remain in these areas regardless of whether this idea is successful or not?

4). Will the 'active supporters area' be a reserved seat area or a general admission area?

5). Is the cheersquad going to exist anymore or is the 'active supporters' group taking over it completely?

6). Is the 'active supporters' group going to bear a resemblance to what we see in the A-League such as Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers with their active supporters group or is it quite different to this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:26 pm

The other issue is that "General Admission" is open to everybody. As such it can and will be infiltrated by individuals who support opposition clubs.

I much prefer to have a one club area as it reduces the possibility of me wanting to smack some opposition supporter who thinks it's a good idea to be a smartarse at my expense, Embarassed Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:36 pm

The other issue is that "General Admission" is open to everybody. As such it can and will be infiltrated by individuals who support opposition clubs.

I much prefer to have a one club area as it reduces the possibility of me wanting to smack some opposition supporter who thinks it's a good idea to be a smartarse at my expense, Embarassed Twisted Evil

If it was a general admission area I'd assume that the area would be devoted to only Collingwood general admission members.

Last edited by Jezza on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:39 pm

The 2002 prelim against Adelaide was the best Collingwood crowd I have been a part of. Spine tingling stuff that day. Wish that would pop its head up again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:05 pm

The win against Geelong in the 2010 final series is when I experienced the Collingwood slow chant at it loudest. I was sitting in the Olympic stand and I can still remember to sound echoing out of the G sending shivers down my spine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm definitely not against this initiative. I reckon it can be a fantastic area for passionate Collingwood members and supporters but I am rather sceptical of how this will operate and function in some aspects as the information we've received as member is ambiguous and unclear at the present time. Several people including myself are worried that we're going to lose our reserve seat privileges despite being in attendance for the majority of Victorian games this season so I hope Joffa can answer these questions if possible:

1). How long has this idea of an 'active supporters' area been discussed and considered for? Is this a recent idea due to a poor attendance rate by the club or has this been a long-term idea and it's only now that the idea is close to being implemented.

2). Will the official 'active supporters' area consist of the whole area of level 1 of the Ponsford end or is it reduced to certain bays in this area? Is it going to be seen in m32, m33 and m34 or m31, m32 and m33 as you suggested earlier?

3). Will loyal and devoted reserved seat holders lose their reserved seat privileges if they currently hold a reserved seat in these areas or will they be able to remain in these areas regardless of whether this idea is successful or not?

4). Will the 'active supporters area' be a reserved seat area or a general admission area?

5). Is the cheersquad going to exist anymore or is the 'active supporters' group taking over it completely?

6). Is the 'active supporters' group going to bear a resemblance to what we see in the A-League such as Melbourne Victory, Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers with their active supporters group or is it quite different to this?

Great questions Jezza and thank you Smile

We'll know more in a few days time and we'll certainly get back to your questions and answer each one individually.