Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sigh! It had to be asked & it may as well be me who does

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:20 pm
Post subject: Sigh! It had to be asked & it may as well be me who doesReply with quote

I was thinking of this earlier today as (long story short) I have a pal who knows this player personally.

But I didn't put much thought into him, until I saw this on facebook

Now, I know we shouldn't put too much though into roomers and such posted on fb. And the same page did have Beams in Lions gear last night.

But their actual post makes some sense:

Quote:
After parting ways with the Brisbane Lions today, Andrew Raines has already declared his intentions to re-ignite his AFL career beyond 2014.

Once this news was announced multiple journalists were quick to pick Collingwood as a possible destination for the 28-year-old midfielder. After Brent Macaffer's ACL injury on Saturday Collingwood could be on the hunt for a tagger to replace Macaffer's role for the 2015 season. As a tagger with 123 games experience under his belt, Raines could possibly be on Collingwood's radar.

If picked up it is understood a majority of teams would only be interested in picking up Raines in the national or rookie draft, and would sign him to a short-term contract.

Andrew Raines at Collingwood? Probably not. And I'm 100% sure that most will laugh at the slightest thought of this happening. But we do need to find someone to fill the tagger role.

Do we have someone else on the list already that can play the part? Then again, could the club set their sights on another son of a gun in Liam Picken?? Well, I doubt that. Razz

Raines old man did play 45 with Collingwood. Could Andrew beat that? Or is it a massive Get F'd?

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw that Brisbane weren't going to offer him a contract on the AFLs website, I thought about him coming to the Pies to play that role.

Alas I don't think he has the pace or the foot skills that would improve our side.

We are crying out for guys who can dispose the ball neatly.

The romantic notion of F/S playing in the black and white is probably within most of us.
Big T 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:16 pm

He can't kick, welcome aboard.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 pm

If we really need a tagger to cover Caff for 12 months, look to smalls currently not getting a game as to who Bucks might challenge over pre season.

You don't draft a bloke to be a tagger.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:39 pm
Post subject: Re: Sigh! It had to be asked & it may as well be me who Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:

Raines old man did play 45 with Collingwood. Could Andrew beat that? Or is it a massive Get F'd?

The only massive Get F'd involving a Raines and Collingwood was when Andrew's father Geoff absconded to Windy Hill after 3 rounds in 1986. The Pies were broke and on the verge of folding, so the playing group were asked to take pay cuts for the good of the club. Raines, being the mercenary that he was, took his bat and ball and went to Essendon (and then onto Brisbane).

As for Andrew, well, the idea isn't bad, but I doubt it will happen. In my view, we could groom Williams into that replacement tagger...
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
You don't draft a bloke to be a tagger.

This is true!

selkevh 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:27 am

From the article I read it would seem this guy is an out and out professional with his preparation etc.

Might sway Bucks???

Stupied 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Please no.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Hine has totally failed in recent years with recycled players. This would add to them.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Big T wrote:
Hine has totally failed in recent years with recycled players. This would add to them.

No player who has already played AFL would be brought in without the head coach's say so. It isn't just Hine who has totally failed in recycling.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:48 pm

Andrew Raines' dad was brilliant but greedy and selfish. I don't know whether Raines junior is greedy and selfish. For all I know he might be a top bloke. But I do know that he isn't a brilliant footballer.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:56 am

I think some rather large rain drops might have fallen on the head of Presti35.

P.S-Is Presti laying down the challenge to DTM for the title of this forum or will DTM rise to the occasion and out thread his arse in the weeks to come?

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:27 pm

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
Andrew Raines' dad was brilliant but greedy and selfish. I don't know whether Raines junior is greedy and selfish. For all I know he might be a top bloke. But I do know that he isn't a brilliant footballer.

Reminds me of a good hijacked thread on Raines snr. from early in 2012:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1194118&highlight=raines#1194118

Dr Pie wrote:
In 83 and 84 we were engaged in a poaching war with Richmond. In 83 we recruited David Cloke ...gave us pretty good service for about six years. Can't remember whether we got Raines at the same time as Clokey or one year later. Unlike Cloke, who came to Collingwood because he had fallen out with Richmond Coach Francis Bourke, Raines came strictly for the money. That's the kind of bloke Raines has always been. And thats how he played at Collingwood - quite well but taking care of Geoff.

piedys wrote:
Yep, we lost Peter Moore to Melbourne which nearly broke me. Thus we need a logical replacement in Cloke, i think it occured in that order late 1983. Raines came over in the same boat, wore #40 in 1983, then #4 for 1984/1985, until we ran out of money in early 1986. As we all know, Raines went to Essendon and Richardson followed, and were about as popular at Windy Hill as flies at a BBQ. Of course both were shipped off by Sheedy to the inaugural Bears in 1987, along with old mate Walsh [who got his right whack might i add]. So really, we need to remember that these blokes were paid sweet f.a. back then, lucky to get a couple of thousand per game, if that. Loyalty to the jumper was becoming a thing of the past, and it wouldn't be unrealistic to say that these two blokes were in hindsight the first authentic professional footballers...

Need to remember in 1986, that the blokes had to bust their arses for 40 hours a week in a 9-5 job, same as us schmucks, then had to go to training after work in the freezing cold, for what, perhaps a 10th of what the princesses get paid these days as professionals?

So in hindsight, couldn't really blame Raines and Richardson for being the proto-type mercenaries, and chasing the cash in the 80s.
Mind you, loyalty to the jumper also meant a hell of a lot back then, unlike these days.
And that is another reason why so many of us despise the modern day template of AFL in general.

But i digress; Raines jnr would end up another Jordan Russell type scapegoat on Nicks i'd say.

Dyso
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Raines, Cloke and Taylor had a snit with the amazing Francis Bourke, which is how they ended up at Collingwood. The payback signings of Walsh and Annear were just stupid, just to prove that Richmond were still kings of the jungle.

The signing of all those players was financially unwise, but gee it felt great after the Quinlan debacle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: