Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbotts foot in mouth thread...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an Australian of Scottish descent. In order to fulfill a desire to round out how I perceive my place in the world, I packed up and moved to Scotland and lived there for a number of years.
I find our P.M's comments in relation to the forthcoming Independence vote naive, embarrassing and unprofessionally partisan.
How a vote by a peoples for their own national determination can be described by a national leader as being against freedom and justice is deplorable.
It's the kind of inappropriate bombastic rhetoric you would expect from a tin pot African dictator, not from a first world leader.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:56 pm

LOL, he's becoming the global dial-a-quote for the humorous news section of the international media.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:17 pm

sixpoints wrote:
I am an Australian of Scottish descent. In order to fulfill a desire to round out how I perceive my place in the world, I packed up and moved to Scotland and lived there for a number of years.
I find our P.M's comments in relation to the forthcoming Independence vote naive, embarrassing and unprofessionally partisan.
How a vote by a peoples for their own national determination can be described by a national leader as being against freedom and justice is deplorable.
It's the kind of inappropriate bombastic rhetoric you would expect from a tin pot African dictator, not from a first world leader.

Well said. It's also symptomatic of his very active Cold War mentality. I'm not sure if I believe in time travel, but it is seriously as if he's been parachuted in from the 1950s.

(PTID, that Batman bears a startling resemblance to our Tone. Was the Joker role already taken?)

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:44 pm

David wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

Well said. It's also symptomatic of his very active Cold War mentality. I'm not sure if I believe in time travel, but it is seriously as if he's been parachuted in from the 1950s.

(PTID, that Batman bears a startling resemblance to our Tone. Was the Joker role already taken?)

The Joker is Pine.

Hockey the Penguin.

Bishop is Poison Ivy.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:41 pm

...And there are still a lot of morons out there who want to give him a second term. We aren't done with this reactionary idiot just yet.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:49 pm

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

The Joker is Pine.

Hockey the Penguin.

Bishop is Poison Ivy.

Pyne is barely one of the Riddlers henchmen. He's not the Joker, that's giving a C list douche an A list rep.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:12 pm

pietillidie wrote:
LOL, he's becoming the global dial-a-quote for the humorous news section of the international media.

Wasn't he gay? Or was that Robin?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:50 am

Might need a spin-off thread:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-19/government-extending-olive-branch-to-china-after-palmer-tirade/5681118

He's just trolling as usual, of course, but if you look at this from an international perspective and remember that Clive is an elected representative whose party holds the balance of power, it becomes a little more embarrassing.

Seriously, who voted for this guy?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:07 pm

David wrote:
Might need a spin-off thread:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-19/government-extending-olive-branch-to-china-after-palmer-tirade/5681118

He's just trolling as usual, of course, but if you look at this from an international perspective and remember that Clive is an elected representative whose party holds the balance of power, it becomes a little more embarrassing.

Seriously, who voted for this guy?

Despite the rows of dangerous and destructive fruitcakes with money—the Kochs, Murdochs, Bushes, Palmers and Rineharts of the world—the fawning after wealth only gets stronger.

Palmer, of course, just wishes he was Chairman Mao rather than Chairman Who the Fk?. It's always entertaining watching aspiring dictators throw tantrums on realising there are forces in the world much more powerful than themselves.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:48 pm

From the Courier Mail.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/opinion-afraid-the-jocks-on-you-mr-abbott/story-fnihsr9v-1227029699167?nk=ef4737fe835f888b00af3c49fca9c4ed

I love Scotland. I was forged just across the water in Northern Ireland, but tempered on the streets of Glasgow, where I moved in my late teens and stayed for 12 years. My Ulster-Scots family is descended from gallowglasses, mercenary sailors who came from Scotland to fight on, and settle, the Antrim coast. I’ve got kilt legs and I know how to use them.

So I feel a kinship with the country and follow the independence debate very closely. The “no” vote made most sense, at first.
But all of that worry evaporated when I heard Tony Abbott say: “I think that the people who would like to see the break-up of the United Kingdom are not the friends of justice, not the friends of freedom.”

The Scots’ very catchcry is “freedom” – although Braveheart was just another prejudiced Australian, Mel Gibson, weighing in on the debate and getting it wrong. The Tories of the world haven’t learnt anything – if there’s one thing to get a Scot fired up, it’s a privileged, right wing Sassenach telling them what to do.
Abbott is valuable to Scotland but only as a cautionary tale, an object lesson in what can happen if an independent country goes off the rails. Enemies of justice are they, Tony? Scotland is a friend to gay people, to immigrants, to the disadvantaged and the poor. Scotland is justice. By contrast, Australia, with its new draconian laws, maltreatment of refugees, oppression of gay people, and a cruel caricature of a treasurer who clicks his heels and puffs cigars while looking down on the proletariat, has manifestly proved that it is not.
~~~

Last edited by 3.14159 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:31 pm; edited 11 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Give me an example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: