Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Keeping secrecy secret

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 pm
Post subject: Keeping secrecy secretReply with quote

Australia in particular and Victoria in general has gone completely ape-shit mad on judicial secrecy. The latest absurdity concerns a very serious criminal case of international bribery by a government-owned banking arm which I can't name here. (Don't you name it either, you'd get Nick's into serious trouble. And yourself, of course.)

The case is being kept 100% secret from Victorian and Australian citizens. What's more, the fact that the case is being kept secret is also being kept secret, under threat of very severe penalties. The absurdity of the justification is palpable: the claim is that it must be kept secret for "national security reasons". What they actually mean by that - and they state this outright without apparent embarrassment - is that it would offend the foreign officials who are claimed to have been bribed or are otherwise involved, and thus risk Australian national security.

But get this: the information has already been published freely in those countries themselves and everywhere in the world except Australia. Anyone who could possibly be offended has already been offended. No-one doesn't know all about it ... except for the citizens of Australia. We are the only people being kept out of the loop. What a disgrace.

Remember, good Nicksters: you CANNOT repeat the allegations here, and you CANNOT link to them either and there are very heavy penalties, although ever since Wikileaks broke the story anyone in any country (including this one) can read all about it. Anyone involved or accused already knows all about it.

More here. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/30/rights-group-and-union-push-for-review-of-australian-wikileaks-gag-order The actual secret thing itself (the stuff newspapers like the Guardian can only print everywhere in the world except Australia) you will have to figure out for yourself where to find. My first guess took me approximately 0.03 seconds. I didn't need a second guess.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this Aged article on the same topic?

http://www.theage.com.au/national/social-media-users-could-be-charged-for-sharing-wikileaks-story-20140730-zye0b.html#ixzz38ujcpnvt

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 pm

Now where are Tim Wilson, George Brandis and all the other loud supporters of free speech? Oh that's right free speech is for bigots not whistle blowers nor it would appear law enforcement agencies if their findings would embarrass our allies.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
Now where are Tim Wilson, George Brandis and all the other loud supporters of free speech? Oh that's right free speech is for bigots not whistle blowers nor it would appear law enforcement agencies if their findings would embarrass our allies.

Your attitude has been noticed.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

OK, I'll try to walk the line here. Since the alleged issues could have equally have happened under Labor or Liberals watch, can we leave the party politics out of it. I'm interested in the logic behind why the suppression order is such a big issue.

The issue as i understand it involves Australian bureaucrats, officials of the organisation Tannin alluded to (If I'm going under the bus you're coming with me Razz ) and politicians of other countries that would geographically would be closer to us than the northern hemisphere.

It would seem a potential criminal matter for those from our side and potential for serious embarrassment for the others. Considering the inability to control information published off shore, or even (potentially) if someone from Australia put it up on a website registered overseas (not hosted, registered) is this whole suppression order just a sop to keep others happy while knowing that it will be leaked and people don't actually "need" to know at this stage anyway?

Just thoughts pitter patting around the perimeter.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Since the alleged issues could have equally have happened under Labor or Liberals watch, can we leave the party politics out of it.

Yep. I'm guessing a bit here, but it's a fair bet that these things were done (or not done) under the Howard regime, possibly also under Rudd, and may or may not have extended into Gillard's time. I doubt that the alleged crimes were still going on (or not going on) by the time Abbott's mob arrived. So I agree, this isn't a party political thing.

stui magpie wrote:
officials of the organisation Tannin alluded to (If I'm going under the bus you're coming with me Razz )

Nicely put. Smile

stui magpie wrote:
is this whole suppression order just a sop to keep others happy while knowing that it will be leaked and people don't actually "need" to know at this stage anyway?

So, according to this logic, an entirely pointless sop to foreign nationals who don't read Australian newspapers or watch Australian TV anyway and who have already had the full gory detail published in their own countries and every other country too (except Oz), this entirely pointless sop to some foreigners is more important than freedom of speech in Australia AND more important than the operation of the Australian justice system, which normally relies on free and open publication of charges, evidence and verdicts so that all can see that justice was done and seen to be done.

Hmmm ...

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:50 pm

Are we really surprised such people of those such nations would be open to such a thing?

Such a shame we might have facilitated it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Tannin wrote:

stui magpie wrote:
is this whole suppression order just a sop to keep others happy while knowing that it will be leaked and people don't actually "need" to know at this stage anyway?

So, according to this logic, an entirely pointless sop to foreign nationals who don't read Australian newspapers or watch Australian TV anyway and who have already had the full gory detail published in their own countries and every other country too (except Oz), this entirely pointless sop to some foreigners is more important than freedom of speech in Australia AND more important than the operation of the Australian justice system, which normally relies on free and open publication of charges, evidence and verdicts so that all can see that justice was done and seen to be done.

Hmmm ...

not quite. When the suppression order was taken it hadn't been published anywhere (unless I missed something).

So the order was to prevent publication in Australia, by Australian media, which would (potentially) be not taken well by the countries involved. This would have been done in the knowledge that it would, in the shortness of time, become available through other channels.

The relevant countries media hacks would be reading our media for stories. Just because the locals don't, doesn't matter, their media would republish it.

The important point would be, politically, if (when) it got out, we didn't do it. Total deniability.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 pm

So you are saying that it wasn't a serious violation of free speech and the public's right and duty to be informed about the justice system in order to achieve nothing, it was a serious violation of free speech and the public's right and duty to be informed about the justice system in order to achieve not quite nothing.

I repeat: hmmmm....

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:09 pm

I wouldn't say achieve nothing, and the suppression of information should have always been understood to be temporary, which does no harm to the Australian Public need to know.

If some rocket surgeon however thought this was a long term solution that would really result in the info not getting out, they are dead set fkn stupid.

I just don't quite get the freedom of speech issue. Government info is suppressed all the time, released 20 years after the fact. What's the big diff?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Wikileaks is a great service. May it live on forever.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Tannin wrote:
So you are saying that it wasn't a serious violation of free speech and the public's right and duty to be informed about the justice system in order to achieve nothing, it was a serious violation of free speech and the public's right and duty to be informed about the justice system in order to achieve not quite nothing.

I repeat: hmmmm....

Good news knackers, old Bam Bam agrees with you.

Quote:
ITS the explosive story that the Australian Government doesnt want you to know about but its attempts to shut it down have blown up in its face.
Outgoing Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has called for the Australian government to release details of a corruption case that names current and former leaders of Asian nations.
WikiLeaks defied a Victorian Supreme Court directive earlier this week and published a suppression order over the case, which the whistleblower website called an unprecedented case of censorship.
The case involves allegations that Asian officials and their families were bribed to secure contracts to print their currencies by scandal-plagued banknote manufacturer Securency, which is linked to Australias central bank.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/wikileaks-publication-of-court-suppression-order-draws-ire-of-indonesia-president-susilo-bambang-yudhoyono-towards-australia/story-fn5j66db-1227009915974
[/quote]

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Not many people spell Hmm with 4 Ms.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Wokko wrote:
Wikileaks is a great service. May it live on forever.

I agree. Performing a vital service again.

As for the Libs and their supposed commitment to freedom of speech ... what can you say? In this and the ABC affair from last year, they've shown themselves to be quite in favour of censoring anything that they deem not to be in the "national interest". I think someone needs to remind them of exactly what free speech is and why we need it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: