Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 17 - Collingwood vs Box Hill at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
kyle cheney had a very strong last quarter. was nearly the difference between a win and loss.

Indeed, JW.

The amount of times our mids and forwards kicked it to him nearly had me tearing my hear out. Was pretty much their one-man wall across half back in that final term...
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:23 am

DT wrote:
Thx MagpieBat. I was following your comments and the radio. Great win and maybe the tide may just turn in our favour after weeks of sh1t

Cheers, DT.

Hope the call was a good for you to enjoy as it was to type (apologies for the silly typos, but I only have two fingers... Wink )

Let's hope this win is the beginning of that turn around in the last weeks of 2014...
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:40 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-vfl-coach-dale-tapping-talks-up-quality-of-matt-scharenberg-nathan-freeman-20140802-zztuo.html
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:00 pm

Stats (courtesy of Footy Live):

Disposals:
Kennedy - 38 (31k, 7h)
Young - 36 (23k, 13h)
Ball - 23 (16k, 7h)
Thomas - 22 (13k, 9h)
Grundy - 21 (12k, 9h)
Moloney - 21 (12k, 9h)
Ramsay - 20 (8k, 12h)
Gray - 20 (12k, 8h)

Marks:
Ramsay - 9
Young - 7
Thomas - 6
Williams - 6
Kennedy - 5
Ball - 4

Tackles:
Ball - 10
Young - 7
Grundy - 4
Kennedy - 3
Ramsay - 3

Hitouts:
Grundy - 24
Gault - 8
Lynch - 2
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm

My player reviews, a tad late, but here you go:

4. Brodie Grundy
I’ll get skewered for this, but I actually think Grundy lost the matchup against Ceglar (and Lowden). In particular, Ceglar had the better of the hitouts and was far more influential in general play, coming across to spoil as a 3rd man in on many occasions and taking several good strong intercept marks, as well as dropping back into defence to help out and clunking the odd mark when able to sneak forward.

We also saw a re-emergence of ‘Bad Brodie’ during the game, namely his propensity to deck a bloke and give away a stupid 50m penalty. The only saving grace was that the offence occurred deep in our forward line, not theirs. Nevertheless, the coaching group need to give him a serve for (yet another) idiotic brain-snap. Having aggression means nothing if you’re constantly letting it get the better of you…

Don’t expect him to displace Witts on form at the moment.

7. Ben Kennedy
Wow, what a game! Was voted best on ground by the 3WBC crew, and they were spot on. Found an absolute arse-tonne of the pill all day, in particular after half time and especially in the last. His two goals were the definition of crumbing, opportunistic small man stuff.

However, he did have more than just a few facepalm moments. Several times, he would leave a received handpass or kick behind, spending the money before he had earned it. He slipped on his backside a couple of times, but at the very least followed up with a 2nd effort. Missed a very gettable set-shot in the 2nd when Box Hill were starting to wrestle their way back into the game, also.

Was clearly our highest possession getter on the day, and a retrospective check of the stats confirms this (38 possies!). I’d bring him in to the seniors next week, quite comfortably, and I wouldn’t be starting him as sub!

Outstanding performance, Ben, great work!

9. Martin Clarke
Pfft, next!

12. Luke Ball
Great game from Bally. Was back to his usual self, smashing in to extract the contested ball. Just a hunch, but just by watching our midfield group, in particular the VFL-listed boys, Ball’s very presence alone seemed to make them walk an inch or two taller, something which Ball backed up with his deeds, charging in with almost suicidal intent for the footy. Also topped our tackle count with 10.

He did let himself down twice though in the last, spraying two gettable set-shots for goal, even for him and his lack of penetration as a kicker. Ordinarily, his numbers and general performance would have him well in line for a senior recall, but after Taylor Adams’ game yesterday, and in particular with a game coming up at Subiaco which will require run on its open expanses, I do wonder if he can get back into the senior side again.

It’s hard to say, but I’m thinking he is depth now. It would be great if he could go around again, to provide our VFL team with leadership, but I get the feeling that this is it for him…

14. Clinton Young
Took his medicine and, alongside Ball, was deserving of being considered our best experienced senior player out there. Gathered 33 disposals for the day and used them reasonably well, but also had 4 or 5 of them smothered, as he wound up to launch the footy long down the wing.

What he does deserve a wrap for, though, is his physical work. On more than one occasion, he either went back with the flight of the ball, executed a really strong tackle (7 for the day) and went in to smother a kick. One of those smothers in the dying moments prevented a centre clearance to Box Hill which could have made things interesting had it been able to launch into their tall forward line.

I’d lean towards recalling him for West Coast, especially given that the open ground would call for his running abilities and long kicking.

21. Quinten Lynch
As always, worked really hard all game and looked to be moving unhampered, but it wasn’t his day. Did a couple of selfless things, in particular his squaring kick to Kennedy in the second for a set-shot (which BenKen missed) and executed a nice block to allow Gault to clunk that last quarter mark. You know what you’re going to get with Lynchy. Is more than handy depth if we need him (or if White needs a rocket)…

24. Josh Thomas
I was hoping that Ball’s presence would allow JT to get a little bit more off the chain, and while he picked up 22 disposals, he wasn’t as damaging in clearing the ball (his main weapon) as he was for patches last week. Did kick the one goal, courtesy of some good work from his teammates and some good vision from Hellier. Not sure he comes back in at the moment, with Adams starting to fire and Blair holding down a spot.

28. Ben Sinclair
Was solid without being remarkable. Was rotated a fair bit and (from memory) participated very little in the final quarter. Still working his way back to full match fitness. Was able to drift forward on a couple of occasions and offer something around the goal mouth, which is nice. I wouldn’t expect to see him back for the seniors for a least another fortnight…

31. Jackson Ramsay
Really liked Ramsay’s game at half back. Offered plenty of run and dash from defence and his disposal was a lot tidier than last week. I like how he is tracking, but with a surplus of small half back types, I do wonder where the club has him in the pecking order….

33. Patrick Karnezis
Was gifted one of his shots for goal, but after the collective dose of butt reaming that our forwards received from the muppets in fluro, it was more than deserving. Only took the 1 mark for the day, but he presented well enough and gave us something to kick to in the forward end. Kicked a very nice set-shot from the boundary and did well to bring the ball to ground for Matheson to kick the winner at the end.

You wouldn’t think this is his year to debut as a Magpie, but I’m confident he can find a place in our best side from next year onwards, if he can get his body right and have a massive pre-season. For the moment though, he just needs to keep offering us something to aim at in the VFL forward line, because our setup looks a lot better with him in it…

35. Matthew Scharenberg
Looked every bit like an 18 year old who has missed 12 months of footy with foot injuries. Just couldn’t run and his normally elite disposal skills deserted him. I’m not in the slightest worried, because he’ll be better for the run, but patience is required. And again, he has an almost unnerving calm about him, a trait which will serve him well when he finally cracks into the seniors…

38. Peter Yagmoor
Had another job playing as an undersized key defender, this time on Tim O’Brien. On the numbers, he probably wins the matchup, with O’Brien kicking only the 1 goal. I’d put this down to O’Brien’s rawness as much as Yagmoor’s limited ability when having to stand a man. Nevertheless, effort has to be recognised and Peter went about his business as best he could.

I do question why we perhaps did not opt for Tim Allan in the side, who can play as a tall back, thereby releasing Yags to play freer and smaller, but the influx of AFL-listed players probably made Allan’s omission inevitable.

Yags job isn't likely to get much easier in the run home, with taller sides in Geelong and Essendon likely to again require him to play above his weight division...

44. Corey Gault
Worked really hard all day, both forward and in the ruck (and I’d actually say he did better at the latter). Was minded by Kyle Cheney, who tended to zone off him and act as their spare in defence, particularly in the last, where he almost won the game for them.

It wasn’t really Corey's day, but it was his moment at the end where he clunked a very good pack park to allow him to go back and kick the sealer. I still don’t particularly rate him, but so long as he can keep producing these (al beit modest) results, I have no qualms with giving him another year as a rookie.

46. Jonathan Marsh
Primarily had the job on Grimley, but found himself on all of Ceglar, Lowden and even O’Brien at times. Acquitted himself reasonably well against his direct opponents, but the real emerging strength to his game was/is his offensive drive. He’s picking his moments when to go for an intercept mark instead of just spoiling. If you will, he’s starting to know when to channel Presti and when to flick the switch to Harry Taylor.

Kicking is still utterly shambolic (will someone please teach him how to kick a bloody drop punt?!), but otherwise, is tracking along very nicely. Won’t crack a game this year, but is one to watch in 2015.

48. Caolan Mooney
Almost wouldn’t have noticed him out there. Only picked up the 10 possessions. Had a couple of nice bits of play in the opening term and inparticular one moment of brilliance where he received from Lynch and slammed on the after burners into a vacant forward 50, but for some reason, instead of kicking a drop punt, he opted for the Gen Y laziness of a dribble kick, which he duly cocked up. Hope Tapping has a go at him for it.

In short, he will want to substantially pick up his game for the rest of this year if he wants to be retained.

From the VFL listed boys…
- Nick Gray was by far our best VFL listed player and would be in my votes. Gathered a heap of the footy and used it pretty well. Had one moment of stage fright in the last, where he sprayed a kick at an open goal mouth. He kept looking to pass it off, not wanting to take the responsibility. Dolly, I thought you were great, but if you’re gonna play amongst AFL-listed players, you have to take the responsibility when it’s your turn, son!

- I know I say it every week, but I love Lachie Ferguson! Offered great dash in an otherwise 1 paced midfield and applied a couple of good tackles.

- Matheson was dangerous as a forward, kicking 2 important goals, including the winner with some textbook crumbing. Sometimes I found it difficult to tell him apart from Jake Williams, who also played pretty well.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Quote:
4. Brodie Grundy
I’ll get skewered for this, but I actually think Grundy lost the matchup against Ceglar (and Lowden). In particular, Ceglar had the better of the hitouts and was far more influential in general play, coming across to spoil as a 3rd man in on many occasions and taking several good strong intercept marks, as well as dropping back into defence to help out and clunking the odd mark when able to sneak forward.

We also saw a re-emergence of ‘Bad Brodie’ during the game, namely his propensity to deck a bloke and give away a stupid 50m penalty. The only saving grace was that the offence occurred deep in our forward line, not theirs. Nevertheless, the coaching group need to give him a serve for (yet another) idiotic brain-snap. Having aggression means nothing if you’re constantly letting it get the better of you…

Don’t expect him to displace Witts on form at the moment.

I felt he lost the 1st Half but he had better 2nd half.

Also had 20 touches which is good to see him get more ball around the Ground.

Quote:
35. Matthew Scharenberg
Looked every bit like an 18 year old who has missed 12 months of footy with foot injuries. Just couldn’t run and his normally elite disposal skills deserted him. I’m not in the slightest worried, because he’ll be better for the run, but patience is required. And again, he has an almost unnerving calm about him, a trait which will serve him well when he finally cracks into the seniors…

Don’t expect anything from him this year. He has no Fitness Base and is Buggerd in about 2 Minutes.

Kicking looked okay. 2 times he kicked to a player that did not attack the ball and just stood and waited for the Ball. The Box Hill Attacked the Ball and was Rewarded by getting the ball.

Did some very nice Handball when he was being Tackled

rand corp 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Great Report Magpie Bat, thanks for that
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:36 pm

rand corp wrote:
Great Report Magpie Bat, thanks for that

Cheers, rc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: