Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 16 - Frankston vs Collingwood at Frankston Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
magpiemike wrote:
Very disappointing to say the least. Three goals up and yet again can't go on with it.

it's often not so good have so many afl players come in to the team. i tends to upset team balance and cohesion. we missed riddle who had been playing well and marsh. yagmoor had to play tall for most of the game. we were also down to three on the bench for the last quarter but none of this should be used as an excuse.

it was clear frankston had a greater desire for winning the contest in the last quarter. a three goal 3q time lead did not feel enough. we needed to have got the first goal of the last. alas, we did not. it was a disappointing afternoon.

JW, a question if I may? Do you know what was the go with these two? Are they injured? I would have thought if Marsh wasn't going to play, then Riddle ought to have been a certainty. Did those boys come down with something, or was it that balance you speak of?

As you say, Yagmoor had to play tall on Lourey and, were it not for Lourey's inaccuracy, the matchup could have been a bloodbath...
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
John Wren wrote:
magpiemike wrote:
Very disappointing to say the least. Three goals up and yet again can't go on with it.

it's often not so good have so many afl players come in to the team. i tends to upset team balance and cohesion. we missed riddle who had been playing well and marsh. yagmoor had to play tall for most of the game. we were also down to three on the bench for the last quarter but none of this should be used as an excuse.

it was clear frankston had a greater desire for winning the contest in the last quarter. a three goal 3q time lead did not feel enough. we needed to have got the first goal of the last. alas, we did not. it was a disappointing afternoon.

JW, a question if I may? Do you know what was the go with these two? Are they injured? I would have thought if Marsh wasn't going to play, then Riddle ought to have been a certainty. Did those boys come down with something, or was it that balance you speak of?

As you say, Yagmoor had to play tall on Lourey and, were it not for Lourey's inaccuracy, the matchup could have been a bloodbath...

strained hammy, i think, for marsh. rids sustained an injury during the week. nothing sinister.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:24 pm

John Wren wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
John Wren wrote:
magpiemike wrote:

strained hammy, i think, for marsh. rids sustained an injury during the week. nothing sinister.

Thanks for the intel, JW.

Well, there you go...
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:34 am

Thanks for the updates MB! Great work as usual but your player summary preview left me bitterly disappointed after reading that but at least you're honest in your assessments which I admire.

The only positive that I can identify from all of this is that Matthew Scharenberg got through the game unscathed and he can build from that. The kid is a gem but will need plenty of nurturing and game time. To me it sounds like no one is really pushing for senior selection against Port Adelaide if MB's player summary is anything to go by.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:01 am

Jezza wrote:
Thanks for the updates MB! Great work as usual but your player summary preview left me bitterly disappointed after reading that but at least you're honest in your assessments which I admire.

The only positive that I can identify from all of this is that Matthew Scharenberg got through the game unscathed and he can build from that. The kid is a gem but will need plenty of nurturing and game time. To me it sounds like no one is really pushing for senior selection against Port Adelaide if MB's player summary is anything to go by.

Cheers, Jezza.

Sorry I couldn't be the bearer of good news, but it was one of those days.

And yes, as you say, Scharenberg's debut, performance and survival was probably the most important and positive thing, barring the loss of the 4 points.

I perhaps shouldn't take anything away from Frankston, who were ferocious in their pressure and just took their opportunities when they came. They just wanted it more in the end. Their form line is actually a little bit better than their ladder position would suggest. They've ran two AFL stand alone sides in Richmond and Essendon to a draws, and got within a couple of goals of both the Bulldogs and the Blues. And of course, they got us.

They could just as easily have 8 wins and be pushing for the finals. They have improved...
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:14 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Quote:
Grundy well beaten by Gabriel, but did finish up our leading goal scorer

Must of well Beaten in 2nd Half as I had him about BOG at Half Time when I left

BoG to half time? Generous, but I did like him in the 1st half as well.

And yes, I meant what I said. When the game was on the line, Gabriel dominated. Grundy not in the official bests is a reflection of that, and quite rightly in my opinion...
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 am

Player reviews, everybody.

1. Alex Fasolo
Played damn near every position bar key position and ruck at different points in the game. Started back, played a bit of wing, went back again, went forward, then went back again. Was clearly our most threatening player when it came to scoring, finishing up with 1 goal from 4 shots. Butchered a fair few early, but gradually (to use the cricketing term) got his eye in. Can walk away with his head held high.

2. Sam Dwyer
Copped the hard tag in the absence of Kyle Martin (Wade Lees had the job) and lost the matchup by some distance. Lees kept Sam contained, but managed to pick up a fair bit of the ball going the other way as well, which he often used effectively.

For someone who is noted for being a class above this level, a lot of Sam's kicks were just God awful. Got to the stage where he kicked a couple of up-and-under mung floaters when dropping back to help out our besieged backs. Recipe for disaster. Barring a couple of injuries or suspensions, he stays at this level, for mine.

4. Brodie Grundy
Started really well and looked set for a big game, but trailed off towards half time. Won a couple of important taps in the 3rd as we started our mini-resurgence, but petered out again and was comprehensively beaten by Russell Gabriel in the last, both in the hitout stakes and around the ground in general play.

He did clunk a couple of nice marks as a tall linking outlet on the wing and even finished up as our leading goal scorer for the day, but in the end, he was ineffectual when it mattered in the final term. He'll want to bounce back next week, where he will likely cross swords with a genuine AFL ruck in David Hale...

9. Martin Clarke
Woeful with a capital 'w', just God damn woeful. I'll be stuffed if he had a direct opponent (it might have even been Tim Harper, who tore us asunder). Either way, he's done as a professional footballer. I wouldn't mind if he decided to retire effective immediately, because I doubt any opposition recruiter who might have been in the crowd would have liked what he saw from Clarke yesterday...

21. Quinten Lynch
Competed well enough in his first game back. Gave us a decent tall target to kick to, but ended up getting the Cloke treatment (multiple opponents at once, ball kicked to his disadvantage). I was actually shocked that he didn't get switched into the ruck in the last when the Dolphins were nutting us. A bash-and-crash job from Lynchy could have helped combat Gabriel's physical dominance. I know I've raised this before, but Hudson would have been useful...

Also executed a great chase and tackle in the 2nd half which resulted in a free kick. Jesse White should look at the vision of that one and see how it's done...

Lynch is another who can also walk away from this one with his dignity intact.

24. Josh Thomas
Took a while to work his way into it, but was one who stood up from about midway through the 2nd quarter, when the Dolphins were making their 1st half charge. Played really well for the better part of the 3rd quarter, before fizzling in the last. Actually, I'm pretty sure they sent a tagger his way as well (might have even been Dwyer's man in the end). Was one of our worst culprits for ball slaughter on the day...

On balance, it probably wasn't the sort of game that screamed 'pick me for the seniors', but he's certainly there if we decide to move past Ball next week...

27. Tony Armstrong
Played mostly on the wing, where his lack of real attacking drive and propensity to give opponents a ton of space can be masked. Actually, he played a solid, if not entirely damaging, game for the first half. Had one nice moment in the 3rd quarter where he drilled a sizzling pass into space for Lynch to clunk (and goal). I was actually hoping he would go on with that kind of more attacking play...

He gets a fail though, for that one God awful, soul-annihilating, coach-killing outburst where he decked the guy who got him for holding the ball. That 50 metre penalty swung the momentum, and the dam wall burst not long after that.

As I said after Martin did something similarly stupid against Casey, I hope Tapping rips Armstrong's head off and hands it back to him wrapped in newspaper for that blunder. And for a player who has been in the system as long as Tony has, you expect far higher standards of behaviour and leadership...

28. Ben Sinclair
Played the first half only, before being 'subbed out' at half time for Scharenberg. Didn't mind his physical work and pressure, but his kicking is still bloody awful. For instance, there was one embarrassing moment where he missed Armstrong, standing 15 metres away on the half back flank, by a considerable margin, the only saving grace being that the Dolphins didn't cash in on the scoreboard.

It's inevitable that he'll come back in, but don't expect to see him for a few weeks yet, seeing as he only got half a game this round...

31. Jackson Ramsay
It was the rough with the smooth for Jackson. Gave us plenty of run and dash from half back, but he slaughtered the ball something spectacular at times. I might be getting him mixed up with Nick Gray, but I think Ramsay had the job on Ben Cavarra, one of Frankston's dangerous smalls.

If we take last night's loss to Adelaide as the effective end of our season, then I for one wouldn't mind seeing Ramsay get a berth in the seniors, just so we can get a look at him at senior level. Form wise, however, I certainly couldn't say he's earnt it...

33. Patrick Karnezis
In that great turn of Aussie slang, Patty had an absolute Barry Crocker. The only real highlight of his day was a nice leading mark he clunked, courtesy of Ben Moloney, which he duly converted. At stages, the ball didn't look anywhere close to getting into our front half, so Pat had to push up the ground and get a couple of touches in the back half.

The momentum he was starting to develop prior to his second hamstring has well and truly been snapped. He'll want to bounce back next week, and the team will need him firing as well, otherwise our VFL forward line will be as impotent as our senior one has been.

And now, the one you've all been waiting for...

35. Matthew Scharenberg
Spent the whole 1st half on the pine, a man-management strategy which doubled as a nice piece of trolling by the club of those supporters who only came for the first half, hoping to catch a glimpse of him, before alighting to the MCG. Was 'subbed in' from the first bounce after half time. Found himself on a few different opponents at times, but started on Corey Buchan.

He executed a couple of beautiful passes by foot that made me smile and think "oh, I'm gonna enjoy this!", but was otherwise unremarkable. The other thing that stood out is just how calm and composed he is. Didn't once look like crapping himself. Mind you, he did slip over a few times, but there were plenty who did that on our side, often at the most inopportune times.

May have only had 8 or 9 touches, by my rough count, but after what he's gone through to get to this point, his game was a clear pass. Seems to have survived as well, which the most important thing. Do yourselves a favour: if you can, get down to Victoria Park next Saturday to see him grace our true home deck. I'm confident that you won't be disappointed with what you see... Wink

38. Peter Yagmoor
In the absence of Marsh and Riddle, Yagmoor was forced to stand Frankston spearhead Michael Lourey, and while he only conceded 6cm, Lourey plays a lot taller for his height. Consequently, Lourey dominated Yagmoor, with only inaccuracy in front of goal stopping what would otherwise have been an absolute bloodbath of a matchup.

That being said, Yags tried his heart out and probably did as well as he could. Gets a pass for effort. This is the latest of a few occassions this year where we have forced Yags to play tall (his manful effort against Josh Walker springs to mind). Each time, the opposition have sought to exploit Peter's lack of height and experience by isolating him deep 1-out. And each time, we've persisted with playing 6 on 6 in the back 50.

I know you just can't magic the matchups you would want in an ideal world, but surely the common sense thing to do would have been to try and generate a spare man to help him out? In particular, Scharenberg's presence after half time presented an ideal candidate for the role.

(I'm digressing here, but the one player I think the VFL team is really missing is actually Adam Oxley. When he has played this year, he has performed quite well as the spare defender)...

Again, I hope Yags can bounce back next week, hopefully with a Marsh and/or a Riddle to help out (although going by what JW said, I wouldn't get my hopes up on those guys getting back in by Saturday)...

44. Corey Gault
Kicked the one goal and took a couple of decent marks as a leading forward. Played as the relief ruckman, and was comprehensively beaten by both Gabriel and Haretuku, save for one or two contests where he came 3rd man up. What little impact he did have on the game vanished after half time. I was actually hoping Lynch's return and the presence of Howe in the side would unshackle him from the ruck and give him the chance to play as a pure key forward, but alas...

A set back after a month of reasonable footy. Another who will want to atone next week.

48. Caolan Mooney
Found the ball at both ends of the ground, but was completely ineffectual with it. Barring maybe one desperate tackle, he didn't offer us much in the way of pressure, or for that matter run. Can't really find a positive from his game, actually...

From the VFL boys...

- Hellier was probably our most consistent mid for the day. Played pretty well but went missing in the last. Needed the skipper to stand up when the game was on the line.

- Jake Williams worked bloody hard all day and often got himself into dangerous positions. Used it reasonably well and provided good dash.

- With Martin promoted and Suckling injured, Moloney was back in his natural habitat as an inside mid, but was arguably beaten in his position on the day. Did some pretty good things, such as that lace-out delivery to PK, and some nice strong tackles, but didn't do what he is there for - win clearances.

The rest were all either average, ordinary or serviceable. I did like Matheson in patches, though, and that was a ripping goal he kicked in the first.

Last edited by MagpieBat on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 am

U see, Grundy getting slaughtered by a bloody unknown in the VFL while Jacobs breaks us to pieces in the ones. Disappointing. But don't worry, they'll both be all australian in 2015.

Reading above, almost every player slaughtered the ball. Consistency is impressive.

I would consider bringing back Fas,

roar 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:48 pm

What a depressing day of football. At least the Berg got through ok.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Some sexy stats;

[img][/img]
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:35 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Quote:
Grundy well beaten by Gabriel, but did finish up our leading goal scorer

Must of well Beaten in 2nd Half as I had him about BOG at Half Time when I left

BoG to half time? Generous, but I did like him in the 1st half as well.

And yes, I meant what I said. When the game was on the line, Gabriel dominated. Grundy not in the official bests is a reflection of that, and quite rightly in my opinion...

Well Gaberial is Fully Developed Ruckman and has a Bigger Body then Grundy.

Until Grundy get’s Fully Developed he will get Pushed around a bit by the Mature Age VFL/AFL Ruckman

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:45 pm

Quote:
4. Brodie Grundy
Statistics: 17 kicks, 10 marks, 5 handballs, 22 disposals, 1 clearance, 2 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 3 tackles, 31 hitoutsCraig McRae Says: Started the game slowly and worked his way into it. Started to compete strongly around the contest, which was pleasing for him. He took 10 marks on the day to go with his 22 disposals. He had the better in the ruck with 31 hitouts to 18 and kicked two goals, which was pleasing. His work rate was good, where he worked on his opponent who was working back into the hole to help make him accountable. A solid contribution from Brodie.

Quote:
35. Matthew Scharenberg
Statistics: 6 kicks, 2 marks, 6 handballs, 12 disposals, 0 clearances, 1 inside 50, 1 rebound 50, 0 tacklesCraig McRae Says: Played his first game for the club and came on at half time and looked like he just had so much time and space, which he created for himself with great composure. He just looks like a class player and we’re looking forward to seeing what he can do when given more game time and improved fitness, because what saw in the half he played was really exciting. We hope he can go on bigger and better things. He played at half back on their third tall forward and had that ability to find the ball and win his one-on-ones. He looked tired late and a couple of fatigue errors were the result, but on the whole, he was one of the positives out of the day.

Those 2 sounds very Promising

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-07-30/vfl-mcraes-player-review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: