Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbotts foot in mouth thread...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Fair enough.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Tannin wrote:
Who is ignoring any of that? Certainly not me, and not Mugwump either. David's problem is that he wants to play the racism card and use that to ignore the known facts of history. I studied the likes of Stanford and Millgram at tertiary level about the time David was born. They go a long way towards explaining why things happened, of course, but David is still stuck at the point of not admitting that they happened at all. (So is Abbott, of course, but Abbott is a dangerous ignoramus; David ought to be better than that. Read some history, David. Seriously.)

The question is "did they fight with honour?". The answer is unquestionably "no". They fought, in fact, with spectacular dishonour, and Abbott is once again hopelessly wrong in fact, not just opinion.

The bolded section is clearly incorrect. I have neither denied nor downplayed the war crimes of the Japamese army. While your knowledge of WW2 history clearly outstrips mine, I know enough about the atrocities on the Asian mainland and the Japanese prison camps to get the point. So, my argument here is neither historically ignorant nor selective with facts. I simply disagree with your conclusion.

I apologise if it seemed like I was calling your argument racist; what I was concerned about was that your summation of Japanese soldiers' character was insufficiently critical of a strain of WW2-and-after discourse that is, indeed, racist.

The most grating characteristic of Abbott's words for me is not their historical inaccuracy or diplomatic insensitivity, it's their inherent absurdity. It's the same absurdity that plagues all celebratory war rhetoric, from the bravery of Australian soldiers at Gallipoli to the patriotism of British forces on the Western front. These are essentially empty concepts and should be considered as such. Taking serious issue with them for any other reason is kind of Herald Sun-esque.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:53 am

As pointed out in The Guardian, another resounding commitment to the sanctity of free speech from our prime minister:

Tony Abbott wrote:
I think it's important that we get the balance right. I think it was Randolph Hearst who had as the masthead as one of his newspapers 'all the news thats fit to print'.

News that endangers the security of our country frankly shouldn't be fit to print and I'd ask for a sense of responsibility, a sense of national interest as well as simply of commercial interest, a sense of the long-term best interests of the country as well as the short-term best interests of creating sensation to be present right across our country including in the media.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:17 pm

He's an ugly bastard
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Just in case anyone was wondering about the Liberal Party's links with big business, read this:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jul/23/tony-abbott-consulted-rupert-murdoch-over-paid-parental-leave-book

Quote:
In the book, King reveals Murdoch was consulted before Abbott announced the policy including a levy on big business on International Womens Day in March 2010.

Big business rumbled but didnt erupt at the scheme, but the party room was in uproar, King writes.

The hardheads knew that it would open the Coalition up to an accusation of raising taxes even though the extra tax would only apply to big businesses. But, more importantly, neither the party room nor the businesses who would pay had been consulted.

Abbott, however, had conferred with one leading business figure, the media proprietor Rupert Murdoch, who had been in Australia the month before for his mothers 101st birthday

The new leader, like many before him, had dinner with Murdoch, where he gave the media mogul a full rundown on the scheme supplying enough detail for Murdoch to later have his Australian-based editors briefed on Abbotts plan, which he considered a visionary approach to dealing with a real problem in his workforce. They were encouraged to support it, notwithstanding that it represented a tax impost and was skewed to be of most benefit to parents outside their middle-Australian readership.

This fact was unknown to members in the party room, who condemned Abbotts solo policy-making on such a fundamental issue.

So much for the fourth estate. So much for media independence. Abbott scratches Murdoch's back and Murdoch scratches his.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm

It's nice to know we have a strong hand at the tiller.
(It must have been the second most humble day of his life).
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:17 pm

David wrote:
Just in case anyone was wondering about the Liberal Party's links with big business, read this:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jul/23/tony-abbott-consulted-rupert-murdoch-over-paid-parental-leave-book

Quote:
In the book, King reveals Murdoch was consulted before Abbott announced the policy including a levy on big business on International Womens Day in March 2010.

Big business rumbled but didnt erupt at the scheme, but the party room was in uproar, King writes.

The hardheads knew that it would open the Coalition up to an accusation of raising taxes even though the extra tax would only apply to big businesses. But, more importantly, neither the party room nor the businesses who would pay had been consulted.

Abbott, however, had conferred with one leading business figure, the media proprietor Rupert Murdoch, who had been in Australia the month before for his mothers 101st birthday

The new leader, like many before him, had dinner with Murdoch, where he gave the media mogul a full rundown on the scheme supplying enough detail for Murdoch to later have his Australian-based editors briefed on Abbotts plan, which he considered a visionary approach to dealing with a real problem in his workforce. They were encouraged to support it, notwithstanding that it represented a tax impost and was skewed to be of most benefit to parents outside their middle-Australian readership.

This fact was unknown to members in the party room, who condemned Abbotts solo policy-making on such a fundamental issue.

So much for the fourth estate. So much for media independence. Abbott scratches Murdoch's back and Murdoch scratches his.

Briefings are the least Abbott can do considering Murdoch wrote the entire LNP policy platform for him:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/13/rupert-murdoch-labors-nbn-was-ridiculous

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:05 am

Brandis: "Section 18c will be amended. This is a Government that keeps its promises". Embarassed
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:48 pm

At least Abbott's not like that serial fibber Juliar, who broke ... how many promises, again? One?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:48 pm

David wrote:
At least Abbott's not like that serial fibber Juliar, who broke ... how many promises, again? One?

Let me remind you David that the Libs will never introduce a tax.

BTW that $7 surcharge per medical visit is I don't know, how did the Mad Mysogynist Miners Monk describe it? that 's right it's a Great Big Tax! Laughing Wink

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott will be forced to describe his policies using comparisons to sports such as netball, hockey and even curling from as early as next year, if he continues to use mainstream sporting metaphors at the current rate.

The findings come after a string of sporting idioms relating to cricket, football and the Olympics were used to explain tricky political positions.

Usually we see Governments ration sporting analogies carefully, so as to last a full term, political analyst Tom Mason said today. But what weve seen here is quite a reckless spending of metaphors in the first year of office. Its not sustainable.

Mr Mason said the PM would have no choice but to use sporting metaphors from lesser-known sports in the coming months. Expect to hear phrases like Mr Morrison is my goal attack in international waters or The Labor Party has dumped the handle on this policy, he said, admitting even he didnt know what the second example meant.

Mason said if the Coalition wins a second term, they may be forced to abandon sporting symbolism altogether and use grown-up language.

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2014/08/06/abbott-running-out-of-sporting-analogies/

Shocked Laughing

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott will be forced to describe his policies using comparisons to sports such as netball, hockey and even curling from as early as next year, if he continues to use mainstream sporting metaphors at the current rate.

The findings come after a string of sporting idioms relating to cricket, football and the Olympics were used to explain tricky political positions.

Usually we see Governments ration sporting analogies carefully, so as to last a full term, political analyst Tom Mason said today. But what weve seen here is quite a reckless spending of metaphors in the first year of office. Its not sustainable.

If I may make a suggestion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X454D3Fzwso

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Tannin wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Hehehe! That's funny

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Aren't all reckless spending of metaphors in the first year of office But what weve seen here?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Tannin wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Ah yes - when I was reading this to the dearly beloved tonight he said " farnackles" Laughing

Excellent suggestion good sir!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: