Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Essendon revoke racist fans Membership!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

collie dog wrote:
Since we are being turned into a PC police state it is no wonder crowds are massively down in Melbourne. Call the Anti-social Hotline. Yeah right. You can hardly barrack at all these days without somebody getting offended.

People calling others names are silly. People grandstanding about it are only making a backlash more likely. Let me put it this way, if Goodes had said nothing about the little girl calling him names last year, no one would have known anything about it. And there'd be no copycat name callers.

Brilliant logic!
It's so obviously the fault of the person being called names. It not the fault of the person who is calling out at all. So when you are next called a ranga, ape, monkey etc just remember to not complain. You'll only cause more abuse and that will be your fault. Just cop it sweet.
Genius!
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:04 pm

David wrote:
I actually agree with you there, PP. Champion players get booed all the time. Why would Goodes be any different?

Some people may just be booing him because of the colour of his skin, but how would you know? It's an absurdly long bow to draw on the part of the journalist and just feeds into any resentment against him that may already be felt by the less educated members of our community.

Whether this can be inferred directly from the booing is questionable (though importantly, Baum was coupling this with testimony that certain supporters were booing because they did not like Goodes, not for any onfield matters; he then took that to: if you don't like Goodes without knowing him, what is it you don't like? What is his persona? Can it be separated from his Aboriginality?), but whether we accept this or not, I do not think Baum is wrong. Goodes is copping a racist backlash for standing up against racism, we see it on these very boards. Most people are fine with saying racism is bad, but when an individual from an affected community seeks to educate them on what is and is not acceptable, there are those who will get very defensive and lash out with their own racist epithets.

Given our minorities are so small and so diverse, we've gotten away with a lot in this country without any serious reaction, and as a consequence we are even more defensive and close-eared when it does come.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:25 am

David wrote:
I actually agree with you there, PP. Champion players get booed all the time. Why would Goodes be any different?

Some people may just be booing him because of the colour of his skin, but how would you know? It's an absurdly long bow to draw on the part of the journalist and just feeds into any resentment against him that may already be felt by the less educated members of our community.

Well said

For me I boo anyone not in a Collingwood jumper, I just don't like em.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:06 pm

IF I was on the massive coin Goodes is, they could call me anything they like, boo like buggery, id just give em the bird, and laugh in their faces. Sometimes the best cure for racism is to laugh at the bastards, humiliate them, see that your not upset, heap scorn on them, and get on with it.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:58 pm

PNC, that seems a bit rich—what's the extent of your personal experience of racism, exactly? All very well to talk about laughing it off from the sidelines, but I'm guessing you might take a different view if you were in Goodes's position.

I suspect I would. Having all the money in the world is cold comfort if people won't afford you dignity or respect.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:10 pm

David wrote:

I suspect I would. Having all the money in the world is cold comfort if people won't afford you dignity or respect.

I think what Mr Goodes needs to start doing when he finds himself in these situations is ask

What Would Oprah Do?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 pm

1061 wrote:
David wrote:

I think what Mr Goodes needs to start doing when he finds himself in these situations is ask

What Would Oprah Do?

I laughed

And I loooooove oprah

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Just thinking would

Adam What Would Oprah Do?

as a sign in the crowd be considered racist?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:54 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
David wrote:

Whether this can be inferred directly from the booing is questionable (though importantly, Baum was coupling this with testimony that certain supporters were booing because they did not like Goodes, not for any onfield matters; he then took that to: if you don't like Goodes without knowing him, what is it you don't like? What is his persona? Can it be separated from his Aboriginality?), but whether we accept this or not, I do not think Baum is wrong. Goodes is copping a racist backlash for standing up against racism, we see it on these very boards. Most people are fine with saying racism is bad, but when an individual from an affected community seeks to educate them on what is and is not acceptable, there are those who will get very defensive and lash out with their own racist epithets.

Given our minorities are so small and so diverse, we've gotten away with a lot in this country without any serious reaction, and as a consequence we are even more defensive and close-eared when it does come.

Good article in today's Age on this point:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/why-some-fans-are-challenged-by-goodes-20140521-zrkd7.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: