Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Clinton Young

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I had low expectations this year and he has done OK which has been pleasing - outside player for sure and certainly a good depth player to have on the list... would love to see him have a ripper and gain some confidence!

A team needs 30 players who can come in when injuries strike and he is certainly in the top 30 so he is in the mix. I prefer Seedsman over Young if it came down to a crunch call though!

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:43 am

MagpieBat wrote:
Best 22.

Offers a handy point of difference to our one-paced midfield. The fact that he can actually kick the ball helps too.

Young's outside, but he's not soft. I've seen him go when it's his turn on more than just the one occasion...

Almost word for word what I wanted to add........

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
think better 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:03 am

report in today's Advertiser has Young fourth highest in 'metres gained' in the AFL this year. His booming kicks will be a big part of this no doubt - I love his 50 - 60 metre passes that are nearly always pin point and quick over the ground.
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:21 am

Anyone who plays AFL is not soft these days, they wouldn't be there otherwise. FFS he's a premiership player in a team that refused to play soft players. Young is definitely not "soft". Keyboard warriors sitting back taking pot shots at players with expectations they need to tick every single box to be the complete footballer. Doesn't work that way.

DEFINITELY in our best 22.

buzzlightyear 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:25 am

Clinton was not recruited to be an inside player. He was brought in as a link up player, who runs and has a penetrating kick. He won't do a Blair.

And as for our best 22. Given the amount of money Clinton is being paid, he absolutely should be performing at a level that he is in our best team. So far, he has only shown glimpses of that form.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:55 am

Not a fan but he's been quite impressive in patches this season. Place in the 22 is his until someone crowbars him out of it with sustained VFL form.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Not that he's on the same level, but this criticism reads like what I used to hear about Buckley from opposition fans. Not enough hard ball, not enough pressure, turns it over too much with his long kicks.

While he's no Buckley, he's playing a similar role and should be judged accordingly. For mine it's nice to have a receiver who can boot it long and hard into the forward line from the wing/half back and as long as he works hard to get it back on the inevitable turn over or two then I'm happy enough.

Good solid recruit.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Best 22 for mine and I don't think we've seem him find true form yet. Got to give this guy some space and time. We offer plenty of time to other guys coming back from Knee recos and the like. Young has been out almost as long with the exception of a brief appearance.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Wokko wrote:
Not that he's on the same level, but this criticism reads like what I used to hear about Buckley from opposition fans. Not enough hard ball, not enough pressure, turns it over too much with his long kicks.

While he's no Buckley, he's playing a similar role and should be judged accordingly. For mine it's nice to have a receiver who can boot it long and hard into the forward line from the wing/half back and as long as he works hard to get it back on the inevitable turn over or two then I'm happy enough.

Good solid recruit.
I am glad to hear that you are not he's on the same level but this criticism reads like what he or she used to hear about Buckley from opposition fans.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:11 pm

Few things.
He had bugger all pre season last year after an operation on his leg and then struggled with soft tissue injuries that players often do when underdone.
( no coincidence in the judd situation, any commonalities there in personal ?)
He is essentially 6 games in after a year out AND he is playing a new game plan with new team mates. Ball took a while to get up and running.
His radar is a tad off at times however the more he plays the better he should get.
In saying that some off his kicking especially after a behind have been sensational and few in the side have this ability.

Not someone id be dropping any time soon. Hopefully he stays injury free.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 pm

MJ23 wrote:
Few things.
He had bugger all pre season last year after an operation on his leg and then struggled with soft tissue injuries that players often do when underdone.
( no coincidence in the judd situation, any commonalities there in personal ?)
He is essentially 6 games in after a year out AND he is playing a new game plan with new team mates. Ball took a while to get up and running.
His radar is a tad off at times however the more he plays the better he should get.
In saying that some off his kicking especially after a behind have been sensational and few in the side have this ability.

Not someone id be dropping any time soon. Hopefully he stays injury free.
top post, a year out is a fair whack, he looks like he has that in the back of his mind at times, needs to get his confidence back.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 pm

His long kicking is definitely useful. But his most important attribute for us right now is his run. We have become a poor running team, and players like Sidebottom and Young are absolutely critical for us.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:35 pm

I'm not sold on him either. However, I recognise the value he provides with his run and long kicking. He is still obviously finding form after a horrid few years with injuries. He is certainly not a squib, but he does tend to get bumped off the ball too easily for my liking. He's definitely earning his spot at present, but when Williams, Seedsman, Freeman, Sinclair and Adams are up and about, he (and a few others as well) might struggle to hold his spot. In the meantime, I hope he continues to settle into his rhythm and improve each week.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Wokko wrote:
this criticism reads like what I used to hear about Buckley from opposition fans. Not enough hard ball, not enough pressure, turns it over too much with his long kicks.

Even if that was true (which it isn't), at least he'd be turning it over 70 metres upfield, which is always better than turning it over in the backline with an ill-judged hospital handpass or a dinky 15.0000001 metre sideways footpass.

I'd love to see stats on how many of Young's long kicks lead to scoring shots one, two or three possessions later - I reckon the percentage would be higher than it is for most players, 'coz delivering it 70 metres with a quick sprint and a long, low, fast kick that arrives before the defence can get set, this is what backmen hate!

Not making him out to be a hero, just making the point that his delivery is a weapon. It doesn't always hit the target, but it often does and when it does it's the sort of fast and dangerous forward entry that oppositions rightly fear.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Stats V Essendon, Anzac Day. To half time: Clinton Young, 14 possessions, 100% disposal efficiency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: